/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

2015 Book Club Discussions > September 2015: Nominate for Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Hi everyone, glad we had a great August book discussion. We're on to September, so lets find a a book that is equivalently interesting to talk about!

As always, rules are as follows:

1) Each person is allowed ONE vote, either a nomination OR a "second"

2) Once a book is "seconded", it is added to the poll list

3) Once five books are on the poll list, this thread closes and voting begins

4) No self promotion allowed - if outside vote stacking or promotion is discovered, a book will be DQ'd automatically.

Thanks everyone!

message 2: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments A little more sci-fi than fantasy, but I'm going to recommend my buddy (and new Campbell Award Winner) Wesley Chu's Time Salvager.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (rabidnewz) Been meaning to read his newest. So I second Time Salvager.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda To Ride Hell’s Chasm was nominated last time and didn't win, but it still looks really good.

message 5: by Jorge (new)

Jorge (jorgeasr) | 5 comments I'll nominate Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, since I've been meaning to read this for a while.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Lawrence (marklawrence) | 34 comments I'll nominate Daggerspell by Katherine Kerr Daggerspell

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin | 4 comments I've heard good things about The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark | 41 comments Mark wrote: "I'll nominate Daggerspell by Katherine Kerr Daggerspell"

Nice one of my all time favourite books.

second this one,

message 9: by Matt (last edited Aug 24, 2015 12:59PM) (new)

Matt Hageman Not sure if we can do anthologies, but if we can I nominate Rogues By: George R.R. Martin. That way we can discuss individual stories as well as the book as a whole.

message 10: by Tracy (last edited Aug 24, 2015 01:04PM) (new)

Tracy | 7 comments I second The Three Body Problem, I wish I could second two books, cause Tregillis is amazing.

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon | 11 comments I'll second Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman.

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan (morpethman) | 7 comments I'll second To Ride Hell's Chasm as it sounded great when nominated last month

message 13: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (tbowdenak) | 1 comments I'll second The Mechanical

message 14: by Will (new)

Will | 3 comments I'll second Rogues.

message 15: by Devan (new)

Devan (dsuber3) | 12 comments I will add to the voice for Rogues, but I would like to discuss either Half The World or Half A War by Joe Abercrombie

message 16: by S (new)

S Pearlyan (purplewidow) | 2 comments I'll rather discuss Half a King, but happy to second Half the World.

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric (koteric) | 10 comments The Shadow Of What Was Lost

Been trying to get this book on here for months!

message 18: by Devan (new)

Devan (dsuber3) | 12 comments Soan wrote: "I'll rather discuss Half a King, but happy to second Half the World."

I'd be fine with Half A King as well since that's probably the best out of the three, but i mentioned the other two because they came out this year and are pretty fresh in people's minds.

message 19: by C.V. (new)

C.V. Dreesman (cvdreesman) | 4 comments Since Mark and Mark recommended and seconded Daggerspell and don't need a third...
I will recommend The Chronicles of Corum by Michael Moorcock