2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The War of the Worlds
This topic is about The War of the Worlds
. Week 49: A Play > The War of the Worlds by HG Wells

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cherie | 117 comments Have listened to this radio broadcast play and loved it, excited to read the book!!

message 2: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Oh, I've to read this one, it's short so I'll try to fit it before the end of the year. Have you seen the movie? (I've not and now I'm curious about it!).

Cherie | 117 comments Yep, pretty short one! Hope you can fit it in!

No, haven't seen the movie! Maybe after I'm done with the book!

message 4: by Anastasia (new) - added it

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments The movie is great. I knew that this was a radio program but did not know it was a play.

message 5: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
I just finished the book, it felt too much dated for me and I didn't connect with the narrator. However, as with The Time Machine, it was interesting to see the point of view from this time on these futuristic subjects.

I saw the movie too, Tom Cruise's character is probably one of the worst fathers on TV (for a "good guy"). The updates on the aliens and fighting were well done, but it wasn't enough for me to enjoy the "new" story.

message 6: by Jacki (last edited Oct 03, 2015 09:02AM) (new) - added it

Jacki Zaz wrote: "I just finished the book, it felt too much dated for me and I didn't connect with the narrator. However, as with The Time Machine, it was interesting to see the point of view from this time on thes..."

I'm interested to read this book but from what I've read of Wells it is hard to get past the feeling of being dated (especially Invisible Man). Any recommendations for classics that hold up over time?

Marta (gezemice) Zaz, I just finished the War Of The Worlds a few days ago and thought exactly the same as you! It is admirable for the scientific ideas and inventiveness for its time - but I found it is only worth to read for historical interest. The writing is dull and the human interactions are simplistic.

Jacki, I recently very much enjoyed Jane Eyre, found it surprisingly modern and well written. The characters felt real and Jane is an admirable, independent spirit. I also liked Crime and Punishment but that one could be a hard read for some.

Cherie | 117 comments I'm about half way through - having a hard time getting through it. Agree with everyone, very dated, very slow moving.

Cherie | 117 comments finished this one, finally!!! I don't know how to put into words what I felt for this book. The writing was dated and hard to get through. The characters were a bit boring, worst part was when the narrator broke into his brother's point of view. The book/Martian attack kind of just ended. Could have been missed if you weren't really paying attention!! Glad I read it, since it's a classic - but I was really happy when it was over!! Would recommend to sci-fi lovers, if only to see how far the genre has progressed!

I like the radio broadcast/play better than the book. I've actually written papers on the subject (for undergrad and Master's degrees) - which is the real reason I wanted to read it.