Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > September 2015 Mini Challenges

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19703 comments Mod
SEPTEMBER 2015 MINI CHALLENGES

RULES

** Books DO NOT have to be mysteries. You can use any genres.

** A book can only be used once for this challenge, but can be used for other challenges (Seasonal, World Trip, Ultimate, etc.).

** You DO NOT have to choose books in advance.

** Do as many as you are able and have fun!

1. September 4 is Newspaper Carrier Day, September 6 is Read a Book Day and September 8 is International Literacy Day: Read a book featuring some sort of written communication on the cover, or as a central plot, i.e.: a letter, newspaper, telegram or book/diary.

2. September 9 is Teddy Bear Day: Read a book featuring a stuffed animal or other toy. (Suggested authors: Nancy Atherton, John J. Lamb, Joyce & Jim Lavene, Margery Williams)

3. September 10 is Sewing Machine Day: Read a book featuring sewing or quilting.

4. September 19 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day: Read a book with a pirate, parrot, or ship — either on the cover, in the title or as part of the plot.
BONUS: Talk like a pirate!

5. September 17 is National Apple Dumpling Day and September 26 Johnny Appleseed Day: Read a book featuring apples or harvesting — on the cover, in the title, or as part of the plot.

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments I'm in! I notice you suggested Joyce and Jim Lavene for Teddy Bear Day. Any series in particular? They have a lot of books!

message 3: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Valerie wrote: "I'm in! I notice you suggested Joyce and Jim Lavene for Teddy Bear Day. Any series in particular? They have a lot of books!"

That would be Treacherous Toys, in their Ren Faire series.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Heather L wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I'm in! I notice you suggested Joyce and Jim Lavene for Teddy Bear Day. Any series in particular? They have a lot of books!"

That would be Treacherous Toys, in thei..."

Thank you. I have just started exploring these authors, and I thought that would be great to choose.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments I'm in. :) I'll keep my list HERE until I'm done. :)

message 6: by Julesy (last edited Sep 29, 2015 08:31PM) (new)

Julesy | 1341 comments Julesy's tracking post for
SEPTEMBER 2015 MINI CHALLENGES

Updated: Sept. 29th
Progress: 5/5

1. September 4 is Newspaper Carrier Day, September 6 is Read a Book Day and September 8 is International Literacy Day:
Read a book featuring some sort of written communication on the cover, or as a central plot, i.e.: a letter, newspaper, telegram or book/diary.
The First Wife by Erica Spindler The First Wife by Erica Spindler - The main character kept a journal with information about the women that were missing or killed.

2. September 9 is Teddy Bear Day:
Read a book featuring a stuffed animal or other toy. (Suggested authors: Nancy Atherton, John J. Lamb, Joyce & Jim Lavene, Margery Williams)
With Baited Breath (Lotus Bay Mysteries #1) by Lorraine Bartlett With Baited Breath by Lorraine Bartlett - The main character's cat had some toys.

3. September 10 is Sewing Machine Day:
Read a book featuring sewing or quilting.
If You've Got It, Haunt It (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #1) by Rose Pressey If You've Got It, Haunt It by Rose Pressey - The main character sewed a button on a garment from her vintage clothing shop.

4. September 19 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day:
Read a book with a pirate, parrot, or ship — either on the cover, in the title or as part of the plot.
Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3) by Laurien Berenson Dog Eat Dog by Laurien Berenson - The natural father of the main character's son took a day trip to visit a village where there was a ton of ships. The son also came home with a ship in a bottle as a souvenir.

5. September 17 is National Apple Dumpling Day and September 26 Johnny Appleseed Day:
Read a book featuring apples or harvesting — on the cover, in the title, or as part of the plot.
Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1) by Paige Shelton Farm Fresh Murder by Paige Shelton

message 7: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2015 12:21AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3887 comments Mod
(0 / 5)

1. Newspaper Carrier Day / Read a Book Day/ International Literacy Day:

2. Teddy Bear Day:

3. Sewing Machine Day:

4. International Talk Like A Pirate Day:

5. National Apple Dumpling Day / Johnny Appleseed Day:

message 8: by Valerie (last edited Sep 19, 2015 02:08PM) (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Will also add author of the month for a total of 6 books this month.

6/6

√ 1. September 4 is Newspaper Carrier Day, September 6 is Read a Book Day and September 8 is International Literacy Day:Read a book featuring some sort of written communication on the cover, or as a central plot, i.e.: a letter, newspaper, telegram or book/diary. Picture Them Dead DONE

√ 2. September 9 is Teddy Bear Day: Read a book featuring a stuffed animal or other toy. (Suggested authors: Nancy Atherton, John J. Lamb, Joyce & Jim Lavene, Margery Williams) A Dollhouse to Die For DONE

√ 3. September 10 is Sewing Machine Day: Read a book featuring sewing or quilting. Deadly PatternsDONE

√ 4. September 19 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day: Read a book with a pirate, parrot, or ship — either on the cover, in the title or as part of the plot. Fudging the Books DONE
BONUS: Talk like a pirate! BUT OF COURSE!!! ARGGH!

5. September 17 is National Apple Dumpling Day and September 26 Johnny Appleseed Day: Read a book featuring apples or harvesting — on the cover, in the title, or as part of the plot Farm Fresh Murder DONE

√ Author of the Month- Engaged in Murder DONE

Picture Them Dead by Brynn Bonner A Dollhouse to Die For (Deadly Notions Mystery #2) by Cate Price Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3) by Melissa Bourbon Fudging the Books by Daryl Wood Gerber Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1) by Paige Shelton Engaged in Murder (Perfect Proposals #1) by Nancy J. Parra

message 9: by Brenda (last edited Sep 27, 2015 05:01PM) (new)

Brenda | 123 comments September 2015 mini challenge

5/5

1. September 4 is Newspaper Carrier Day, September 6 is Read a Book Day and September 8 is International Literacy Day: Murder in the Paperback Parlor

2. Teddy Bear Day: The Mournful Teddy
Finished 9/2/15

3. September 10 is Sewing Machine Day: Murder, Plain and Simple
Finished 9/27/15

4. Talk Like A Pirate Day: Murder Sends a Postcard
Finished 9/13/15

5. National Apple Dumpling Day and Johnny Appleseed Day: A Beeline to Murder
Finished 9/1/15

A Beeline to Murder (Henny Penny Farmette Mystery #1) by Meera Lester The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1) by John J. Lamb Murder Sends a Postcard (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #3) by Christy Fifield Murder in the Paperback Parlor by Ellery Adams Murder, Plain and Simple (Amish Shop Quilt Mysteries #1) by Isabella Alan

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7484 comments My current ideas for September...

Newspaper Carrier Day, Read a Book Day and International Literacy Day: The Case of the Missing Books

Teddy Bear Day: Fatal Feng Shui

Sewing Machine Day: Framed in Lace

International Talk Like A Pirate Day: A Superior Death

National Apple Dumpling Day and Johnny Appleseed Day: Red Delicious Death

The Case of the Missing Books (Mobile Library Mystery #1) by Ian Sansom Fatal Feng Shui (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #5) by Leslie Caine Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2) by Monica Ferris A Superior Death (Anna Pigeon, #2) by Nevada Barr Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3) by Sheila Connolly

message 11: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments I am going to try, but not as sure I will finish this months. No fair, I read a pirate book last month....

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7484 comments Carla wrote: "I am going to try, but not as sure I will finish this months. No fair, I read a pirate book last month...."

Don't you hate when that happens! Last night when I was looking through books I found one with a parrot on it but I want to read it on vacation...in October!

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (arboan) | 113 comments 1. September 4 is Newspaper Carrier Day, September 6 is Read a Book Day and September 8 is International Literacy Day: Read a book featuring some sort of written communication on the cover, or as a central plot, i.e.: a letter, newspaper, telegram or book/diary.

2. September 9 is Teddy Bear Day: Read a book featuring a stuffed animal or other toy. (Suggested authors: Nancy Atherton, John J. Lamb, Joyce & Jim Lavene, Margery Williams)

3. September 10 is Sewing Machine Day: Read a book featuring sewing or quilting.

4. September 19 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day: Read a book with a pirate, parrot, or ship — either on the cover, in the title or as part of the plot.

5. September 17 is National Apple Dumpling Day and September 26 Johnny Appleseed Day: Read a book featuring apples or harvesting — on the cover, in the title, or as part of the plot.

message 14: by Carla (last edited Sep 29, 2015 05:55AM) (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments September Challenge

After checking my kindle and my TBR pile I have come up with the following possibilities. 4/6

1. Newspaper Carrier Day, Read a Book Day and International Literacy/ Day: The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend 09/03/2015

2. Teddy Bear Day: The Velveteen Rabbit 09/11/2015

3. Sewing Machine Day: Threads of Evidence 09/29/2015

4. International Talk Like A Pirate Day: Emily Windsnap and the Ship of Lost Souls 09/25/2015

5. National Apple Dumpling Day and Johnny Appleseed Day: The Orchard at the Edge of Town 09/13/2015

6. Author of the Month: Nancy J Parra/Nancy CoCo: Oh Say Can You Fudge 09/21/2015

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Threads of Evidence (Mainely Needlepoint, #2) by Lea Wait Emily Windsnap and the Ship of Lost Souls (Emily Windsnap, #6) by Liz Kessler The Orchard at the Edge of Town (Apple Valley, #3) by Shirlee McCoy Oh Say Can You Fudge by Nancy CoCo

message 15: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 123 comments Does it need to be a Pirate Ship or can it be any type of ship such as cruise, fireboat or freighter?

message 16: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Brenda wrote: "Does it need to be a Pirate Ship or can it be any type of ship such as cruise, fireboat or freighter?"

It can be any type of ship, Brenda.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Went to the bookstore, and decided to indulge in a couple of new books because of this challenge. Always a good excuse, don't you know...LOL

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky | 228 comments 1. Newspaper Carrier Day / Read a Book Day/ International Literacy Day:

2. Teddy Bear Day:

3. Sewing Machine Day: Quilt or Innocenceby Elizabeth Craig completed 09/05

4. International Talk Like A Pirate Day:

5. National Apple Dumpling Day / Johnny Appleseed Day:

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments What does a pirate eat on September 19th? (Talk Like a Pirate Day)

BAAAARG BQ

And, how does a pirate get to the restaurant?

In a CAARRRH!!

Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day!

message 20: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Valerie wrote: "What does a pirate eat on September 19th? (Talk Like a Pirate Day)

BAAAARG BQ

In a CAARRRH!!

Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day!"

Tee hee

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments Ahoy, mateys! I'm reading Captured by the Pirate Laird Captured by the Pirate Laird (Highland Force, #1) by Amy Jarecki today. (I got it free on my Kindle a few weeks ago). Arrrh, Valerie, I enjoyed your pirate humor.

message 22: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Valerie wrote: "What does a pirate eat on September 19th? (Talk Like a Pirate Day)

BAAAARG BQ

In a CAARRRH!!

Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day!"

GROAN! :D

message 23: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Just finishing my last book for this month's mini challenge, so figured I might as well post it. :)

1. Read a book featuring some sort of written communication on the cover, or as a central plot, i.e.: a letter, newspaper, telegram or book/diary.
The Lies That Bind by Kate Carlisle

2. Read a book featuring a stuffed animal or other toy.
Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea by Nancy Atherton

3. Read a book featuring sewing or quilting.
Death Threads by Elizabeth Lynn Casey

4. Read a book with a pirate, parrot, or ship — either on the cover, in the title or as part of the plot.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

5.Read a book featuring apples or harvesting — on the cover, in the title, or as part of the plot.
Bitter Harvest by Sheila Connolly

The Lies That Bind (A Bibliophile Mystery, #3) by Kate Carlisle Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #11) by Nancy Atherton Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2) by Elizabeth Lynn Casey Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5) by Sheila Connolly

message 24: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Fantastic job Heather and some new books for me to check out. I love that about these challenges.

message 25: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Heather! I don't know how my readings will go :(

message 26: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Thanks, Carla and Marisa -- and it was almost all mysteries for a change. Although, I suppose you could say there was some mystery and suspense in Treasure Island. :D

message 27: by Melanie (last edited Sep 21, 2015 12:11PM) (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 50 comments 1. September 4 is Newspaper Carrier Day, September 6 is Read a Book Day and September 8 is International Literacy Day: Read a book featuring some sort of written communication on the cover, or as a central plot, i.e.: a letter, newspaper, telegram or book/diary.

The Sayers Swindle, Sep 19/2015

Parade of covers:
The Sayers Swindle (Book Collector Mystery #2) by Victoria Abbott

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Congrats Heather! :)

message 29: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Fantastic choices, Heather. I think I may have to read a couple of those myself!

message 30: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1341 comments Great job, Heather!

message 31: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Finished my challenge the other day...caught a cold and spent the weekend pretty much reading. Not a bad thing, but I would rather read all weekend when I felt better. But, anyhow, I completed it. Really enjoyed a couple of them.

message 32: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Glad to hear you are feeling a little better, really enjoyed some of your choices and finished the challenge. Nice job.

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Way to go Valerie! :)

message 34: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Valerie! Glad you feel better!

message 35: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Thanks all!

message 36: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Thanks, Valerie and Julesy!

Congrats on finishing, Julesy -- hope you're feeling better now.

message 37: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 123 comments Update to Message #9 - I've finished the challenge for this month. Read 3 new authors this month and will definitely be looking for more by them.

message 38: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Good job, Brenda. And, finding new authors is always a plus to the challenges.

message 39: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Congrats Brenda! :)

message 40: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Brenda!

message 41: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Sep 27, 2015 09:49PM) (new)

This is my status till this moment, and I think I'll be able to finish this month:

(4 / 5)

1. Newspaper Carrier Day / Read a Book Day / International Literacy Day:

2. Teddy Bear Day: Treacherous Toys, de Joyce Lavene (20/09/2015 - ★★★)

3. Sewing Machine Day: Shear Trouble, de Elizabeth Spann Craig (12/09/2015 - ★★★★)

4. International Talk Like A Pirate Day: Pirate Vishnu, de Gigi Pandian (27/09/2015 - ★★★★)

5. National Apple Dumpling Day / Johnny Appleseed Day: Ghost a la Mode, de Sue Ann Jaffarian (24/09/2015 - ★★★★)

Treacherous Toys by Joyce Lavene Shear Trouble by Elizabeth Spann Craig Pirate Vishnu (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #2) by Gigi Pandian Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1) by Sue Ann Jaffarian

message 42: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Congratulations Brenda. I just checked out your books and put some of those authors I have not read on my list to check out.

message 43: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7484 comments Congrats to everyone who has finished!! I'm excited to join you.

Newspaper Carrier Day, Read a Book Day and International Literacy Day: The Case of the Missing Books 9/25/15

Teddy Bear Day: Fatal Feng Shui 9/15/15

Sewing Machine Day: Framed in Lace 9/3/15

International Talk Like A Pirate Day: A Superior Death 9/22/15

National Apple Dumpling Day and Johnny Appleseed Day: Red Delicious Death 9/6/15

The Case of the Missing Books (Mobile Library Mystery #1) by Ian Sansom Fatal Feng Shui (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #5) by Leslie Caine Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2) by Monica Ferris A Superior Death (Anna Pigeon, #2) by Nevada Barr Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3) by Sheila Connolly

message 44: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Linda!

message 45: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Congratulations Linda, some more authors to check out.

message 46: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Good job, Brenda and Linda!

The October challenge will be posted shortly, for all those eager to choose a new month of books. ;-)

message 47: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Good job everyone! And, yes, Heather L, I am looking forward to choosing books for next month.

message 48: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments I am about 60 percent through my last book. I should finish today.

message 49: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Go, Carla, go! :D

message 50: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Congratulations Linda! :)

I'll hopefully get my last book finished before Wednesday. I didn't get to read much this weekend (went to San Antonio for my birthday). I'm on my last book, but it's over 400 pages long. Its Jules Verne, though, and his books are usually really good. :)

« previous 1