Time Travel discussion

The Time Traveler's Almanac
This topic is about The Time Traveler's Almanac
The Time Traveler's Almanac > The Lost Pilgrim- Gen Wolf (8/23/15)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan, First Tiger (new) - added it

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 539 comments Mod
This week we are reading The Lost Pilgrim, available here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com...

Also available as a PDF.

message 2: by Nathan, First Tiger (new) - added it

I struggled with this one a bit as it seemed a jumbled mess at first. Having a confused protagonist and a confused reader at the same time is probably not the best writing strategy. It does come together though and even though I feel like it never did make total sense, it got entertaining and kept my interest pretty well toward the end. Interesting blend of seafaring mythology and history. 3 stars from me.

message 3: by Tej (last edited Aug 26, 2015 02:19AM) (new) - added it

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
What the puk was all that about?!

I did eventually grow fond of our lost protagonist but like Nathan, i too was just as lost.

Points for consistency in its haphazardly skewed style, an interesting new trappings of time travel but man, was it a heavy slog to get through.

2/5 Pukz

message 4: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 862 comments Oh dear. I guess I'd better set aside a bit of quiet time for this... thanks for the warnings!

message 5: by Nathan, First Tiger (new) - added it

Tej Wrote: "What the puk was that all about?"

Ha. I felt the same way. The puk thing drove me crazy till half way through when I finally realized time that was all about.

message 6: by Nathan, First Tiger (new) - added it

*what

Samantha Glasser | 207 comments I can't get going on this. I think the narrator is supposed to be going to either Atlantis or Plymouth Rock, but instead went somewhere else entirely in a world completely foreign to us. (Is this supposed to be the past or the future?)

What is with the citations? And what the heck is going on?

message 8: by Nathan, First Tiger (new) - added it

You are on the right track, Samantha. It gets explained at the end but he's torn between multiple events.

message 9: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 862 comments I want to be able to capture Pukz (view spoiler)

Other than that, I'm not crazy about TT that assumes the reader is familiar with the historical period depicted. And even if I did fully understand, this wouldn't have been the kind of storyline I'd enjoy. I'm afraid I have to give it only 1.5 stars (rounded to 1 for GR).

message 10: by Glynn (new) - added it

Glynn | 235 comments Cheryl wrote: "I want to be able to capture Pukz [spoilers removed]

Other than that, I'm not crazy about TT that assumes the reader is familiar with the historical period depicted. And even if I did fully under..."

I am with you Cheryl. This was a huge chunk of wasted time for me. I got the whole annoying Puk thing (I wonder who in this fictional world came up with that word for it! ;)) It's weird because Gene Wolfe is supposed to be a great writer. Maybe he's not so good with "short" stories. 1 star for me too.

Heidi | 8 comments I loved this one. I figured out the Puk thing at the bottom of the first page, and once he mentioned the lion-skin that "Hahraklahs" wore, everything clicked. I admit that the identity of "Eeasawn" was not obvious right at first. The ending was chilling. I'd give this one 5 stars.