2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Looking for Alaska
This topic is about Looking for Alaska
. Week 38: In High School > Looking for Alaska by John Green

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments For this week's challenge, I figured I'd finally read something by the mighty YA guru John Green. It was ... eh. I found the characters a little stereotypical and not overly well-rounded. I didn't really like any of them all that much, which is a big thumbs down for me.

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments I know what you mean about the characters. I read this for the first book by a popular author and I thought it was just okay

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I will definitely read more of his work - probably the almighty The Fault in Our Stars which everyone seems to love. I agree though - it was just okay. The writing itself was fine, but just the characters ... "we are rebellious teenagers in boarding school, we drink & smoke ... OMG!". I found it difficult to understand the allure of Alaska as well, past the obvious physical aspects. She wasn't a very appealing character at all.

Biana Oh you ladies hit it on the nose!

I also read this for the first book by a popular author and I was a little disappointed. I mean, his writing wasn't bad for a first timer.

I did read Fault in Our Stars because someone had given it to me and I was stuck at home without a book. I didn't want to read it because...well, you know. It was HYPED. But it was good. I didn't even mind crying over the loss of our characters. I would say it was easily 3x as good as Alaska.

Jana I read this for week 38 as well. I really enjoyed it. Too bad the first half would be such a bad influence on my son. I will still probably recommend it to him, though.

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I'm about 50% through and this is DEFINITELY not one of my faves. :(