The Girl in the Spider's Web (Millennium, #4) The Girl in the Spider's Web discussion

let's wait and see

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Juan Navarro Well at last the 4th book on the series arrives...In my opinion very bad things happen when you hire a ghost writer to write a novel based on a series made by another author...Stieg's girlfriend and friends didn't like it much but now his family controls his state and got the outline for the next seven books won in court after a bitter dispute. Let's wait and see if this was worth the trouble. Is weird that people is rating a book that's supposed to be protected tighly before its release?

message 2: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank I didn't finish it because I had to return that piece of trash to the bookstore in order to get my money back. The reasons for hating it are in my review.

There are 6 more due out? *rolls eyes*

Juan Navarro Well i already got it. Now that i have read your comments i realize fearing for the worse was right. Another in the ghost writer business has crashed and burned. :(

Mark I liked it.

message 5: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Mark wrote: "I liked it."

Hi Mark,
why did you like it?

Thera Lewis Mark wrote: "I liked it."

I liked it too.

As for my reasons, I fell in love with the character from her other books. Lisbeth Salander is what introduced me to a whole new genre of books that I never would have thought of before. Scandinavian Drama/Suspense/Mystery. Lisbeth Salander introduced me to Jussi Adler-Olsen, Jo Nesbø, Henning Mankel, Anne Holt, and Camila Läckberg. Without Lisbeth Salander, I would have never discovered other beloved stories and characters.
So yes, it wasn't Larsson. So what? Lisbeth lives on, and she's dear to my heart.

Jumana A Totally agree. I liked it as well.

Mark Frank wrote: "Mark wrote: "I liked it."

Hi Mark,
why did you like it?"

I thought it was a fast-paced thriller staying true to the original characters and introducing some intriguing new ones. The autistic savant witness was a nice touch. I listened to the audio-book and put on the earphones whenever I had boring chores or driving to do. Also I was disappointed when it ended and I look forward to Salander and her twin locking horns in the next novel.

Nancy Newcomer Mark wrote: "Frank wrote: "Mark wrote: "I liked it."

Hi Mark,
why did you like it?"
I thought it was a fast-paced thriller staying true to the original characters and introducing some intriguing new ones. The ..."

I liked it also, Mark, and agree with your reasons. Somewhat different but true to spirit of the characters, I thought. Look forward to more.

Helen Bassett I liked it also. I have not read any other books in the series so the characters were all new to me. I liked the action and the characters.

Laurie I liked it as well. Lisbeth Salander seemed true in character to the other books.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree it was good to have Lisbeth Salander back! Though the writing was no match for Stieg Larsson, it was still a good thriller.

message 13: by Juan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juan Navarro I also read it...isn't the same amazing writing of Larsson's but i must say that Lagercrantz did a good job. Waiting already for the next book

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

While I thought it was OK, I did think the writing wasn't a patch on the originals, which was a shame. The first half of the book seemed a little ponderous, but it did pick up in the second half, so I will get the next book when it comes out. Does anyone know if Lagercrantz will write all the sequels, or is the plan to give each book to other writers (in the same way that James Bond books are written by many different writers?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Ian wrote: "While I thought it was OK, I did think the writing wasn't a patch on the originals, which was a shame. The first half of the book seemed a little ponderous, but it did pick up in the second half, s..."

Lagercrantz is under contract for two more books.

This article gives more details:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

Guess they'll decide after that if the series continues.....

message 16: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan I liked the abook. I thought the characters were basically true to the originals, but a little paler. I thought the pace was good and I really appreciated not getting bogged down in all the financial details that the first one dragged us through to get to the juicy parts. I liked the savant aspect of the story and how Salandar can related to him on a different level. I liked the re-introduction of the twin sister that I had forgotten about, but again, she was paler than the creator would have drawn her. Maybe it was intentional to make her a pale immitation of her father, but I dount think so. I was disappointed that a few of the other key characters from previous books were mentioned or used sort of as an afterthought or in very minor ways. I feel bad for original author's girlfriend because I think she got a raw deal but I look forward to the next book. Hopefully Lagercrantz will feel free to let out some twisted demons like Larsson did. I also agree with Thera (above) that I would not have discovered Jussi Adler-Olsen, Jo Nesbø, and others had it not been for Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander and Steig Larsson.