2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Carry Me Down
This topic is about Carry Me Down
. Week 48: Same Initials > Carry me Down by M.J. Hyland

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I had troubles finding an author with my initials. Carry Me Down seems like it could be really good, though a bit on the depressing/sad side.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments This book while very disturbing, was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't all that excited about having this book on my list, but now that I am done with it, I am very glad it was. The book started off rough where in the first few pages an 11 year old boy describes in great detail his father murdering a litter of kittens. I nearly walked away from the book at that point, but I gave it a chance. There is no doubt that the Egan family in this book is dysfunctional, but you spend the entire book trying to figure out where/who this dysfunction is stemming from.

There wasn't a big flashy ending to this book, and reading reviews from other GoodReaders, that was a problem. However, I felt the ending was perfect for the narrative and tone of Carry Me Down. The prose are so smooth and beautiful in these pages that I actually felt like John, half-child, half-man, was sitting in my living room telling me his story in person. I gave it 5 stars.