Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Previous BOTM Threads > September Nomination Thread

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

It's that time of the month where we nominate what books we want to read as a group during September. Open this month we have the following categories:

READER PICK: this is for a mass-market Space Opera book which is widely available in both paperback and ebook at most places where you'd be inclined to walk in off the street and get it, including bookstores and the public library. Dead trees is where it's at for the Reader Pick, but they can't be Kindle Unlimited locked in ebook.

INDIE PICK: this is for the newer, edgier space opera stories published by indie authors who go it all alone. Indie authors who use a micropress to help them do the publishing, but do all the editing and marketing themselves, are still considered indie.

YOUNG ADULT FRIENDLY PICK: We desperately need great sci-fi / space opera(ish) themed books to indoctrinate the young people in our lives to look to the stars. To qualify for a YA pick, it must have a space component to it (i.e., no earth-bound dystopia), must be labeled 'YA' on the online distributors and star a young protagonist who is age 17 and under throughout the story, and must have been published AFTER 1999 (i.e., NEW stuff that will appeal to kids TODAY).

And last but not least, our SERIES PICK continues with Book 3 of the galactic football league, The All-Pro by Scott Sigler. Put that baby on hold at your local library or order the ebook online.

The All-Pro (Galactic Football League, #3) by Scott Sigler

So drop your nominations into the thread below! And periodically I'll come back to post the pretty book cover bling as I transpose the nominations into my spreadsheet. On September 1st I'll use Random.org to pick a winner in each category and send out an announcement to the group.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

NOTE: Authors who are active members of the community are allowed to nominate their own books because we use Random.org to pick the winner. It's okay if you nominate your book more than a single month in a row, you just can't be featured twice.

message 2: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Done (joshua_done) Indie pick - The Exile Empire

message 3: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 117 comments Okay Anna here's my INDIE vote for Nexus for you ;)

It seems like I had a good idea for reader pick but it's late and the memory has escaped me. I'll get back to you!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

For Reader Pick: The Duke of Uranium, by John Barnes. Hard SF Space Opera, and a rollicking good time!

message 5: by William (new)

William Reader Pick - as always, Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Natta (carol_vannatta) | 28 comments Indie Pick:
Minder Rising, by Carol Van Natta, a standalone sequel to Overload Flux, which was the Indie Pick earler this year.

Minder Rising
Minder Rising (Central Galactic Concordance Book 2) by Carol Van Natta
by Carol Van Natta

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments Dark Intelligence
Android Hunters

message 8: by T.D. (new)

T.D. Wilson (tdwilson) | 9 comments Reader pick Dark Horse

Indie Pick Embrace

message 9: by Faith (new)

Faith (faithsw) | 7 comments I'll hold off on Reader Pick for the moment as I have to look back and see what's been done already.

Indie Pick: Spots the Space Marine, by MCA Hogarth

YA-Friendly: Dove Arising, by Karen Bao

message 10: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments Young: Chimera (Universe Eventual, #1)
Indie: Android Hunters
Reader: Dark Intelligence
Series: NA

message 11: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 42 comments Readers pick :- think I'll re-nominate STARSHIP TROOPERS - Robert Heinlein

Indi Pick :- likewise with ANDROID HUNTERS - Jonathon Bergeron

message 12: by Christian (new)

Christian (thiel) | 62 comments Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

message 13: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments Indie Pick: Ambassador Seeing Red by Patty Jansen by Patty Jansen

YA Pick: Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1) by R.J. Anderson by R.J. Anderson

Reader Pick: Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1) by Marianne de Pierres by Marianne de Pierres

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jsharbour) The reason I stopped engaging in the nominations is because there are few to no conversations about the books afterward. I get better book suggestions on amazon due to my buying history.

message 15: by Packi (new)

Packi | 106 comments Some books get more posts than others. On Basilisk Station has 80 posts which is great.

My reader pick is House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds.

message 16: by Les (last edited Aug 26, 2015 04:14PM) (new)

Les | 53 comments Hi all.

Haven't put in a nomination for a while, but felt compelled to throw in an Indie Pick this month with Starhold by J. Alan Field.

description

I'm gonna start this myself anyway. Sounds like it could be fun.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments Packi wrote: "Some books get more posts than others. On Basilisk Station has 80 posts which is great.

My reader pick is House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds."

I love that book.

MorningLightMountain | 49 comments Reader Pick: Death World (Undying Mercenaries, #5) by B.V. Larson

Indie Pick: The Chaplain's War by Brad R. Torgersen

message 19: by Charming (new)

Charming Frock Youth Pick - Undercity by Catherine Asaro. Yes, I know...it is almost G rated! Still is the Scolian Empire, but G rated.

message 20: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 143 comments Reader Pick
Fire with Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #1) by Charles E. Gannon

Indie Pick
Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy #1) by Nick Webb

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Jonathan wrote: "The reason I stopped engaging in the nominations is because there are few to no conversations about the books afterward. I get better book suggestions on amazon due to my buying history."

I don't engage in the nomination because I'm just getting back into reading sci-fi again. Also, I really don't engage in the indie world as much as some of you guys.

I get some really recommendations from you guys.

message 22: by John (new)

John Abbott | 73 comments Reader Pick: To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1) by H. Paul Honsinger

Indie Pick: Fluency by Jennifer Foehner Wells

But dang I see some good ones listed, Carol Van Natta, Nick Webb, Alastair Reynolds, eek!

And I missed this last month or two for these, I see Warship has been read, and On Basilisk Station! Awesome!

message 23: by Nixs (last edited Aug 27, 2015 07:53PM) (new)

Nixs (nixesbook) | 1 comments well for YA you have Red rising series
Red Rising
Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown
as for others i will wait for a while before nominating...till then Happy Reading..lol

message 24: by Jason (last edited Aug 27, 2015 07:56PM) (new)

Jason Braida | 51 comments Indie Pick... Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1) by Nathan Lowell Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Hi guys!

I jotted these down, but haven't had time to do a cover-bling-thing. Will pop by later to do a pretty cover spread.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Okay guys ... sorry I've been slacking the last few weeks. My grandmother fell and broke her hip, and then she passed away :-( So ... time to get back in the land of the living...

@ William - we just read Ancillary Justice a few months ago, so it's not eligible to be re-nominated. Would you like to nominate another book.

@ Nikunj - we read Red Rising last year, so it's not eligible to be re-read. Would you like to nominate another book? And don't forget we have other categories you can nominate in.

@ Jonathan H - yeah, I know ... the lack of engagement can often be frustrating. But that's really up to you guys, you know? People tend to get curious and stop in a thread if they see lots of little red 'X New Posts' in a thread and then they stop in and see a thoughtful observation by other readers. I am, personally, very cautious about interjecting my own personal opinions because as a MOD I wield an inordinate amount of power and I don't want to foster a community where reviews all get based on a self-important moderator's nasty snark like a swarm of replicators, but that shouldn't stop other people from commenting?

Okay ... the cover bling:

READER PICK:

The Duke of Uranium (Jak Jinnaka, #1) by John Barnes Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1) by Neal Asher Dark Horse by Michelle Diener Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1) by Neal Asher Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein Seveneves by Neal Stephenson Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1) by Marianne de Pierres House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds Death World (Undying Mercenaries, #5) by B.V. Larson Fire with Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #1) by Charles E. Gannon To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1) by H. Paul Honsinger

INDIE PICK:

The Exile Empire by Joshua Done Nexus (Ziva Payvan, #2) by E.J. Fisch Minder Rising (Central Galactic Concordance Book 2) by Carol Van Natta Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Embrace (The Epherium Chronicles, #1) by T.D. Wilson Embrace (The Epherium Chronicles, #1) by T.D. Wilson Spots the Space Marine Defense of the Fiddler by M.C.A. Hogarth Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Ambassador Seeing Red by Patty Jansen Starhold by J. Alan Field The Chaplain's War by Brad R. Torgersen Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy #1) by Nick Webb Fluency (Confluence, #1) by Jennifer Foehner Wells Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1) by Nathan Lowell

YOUNG ADULT FRIENDLY PICK

Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1) by Karen Bao Chimera (Universe Eventual, #1) by N.J. Tanger Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1) by R.J. Anderson Undercity (Major Bhaajan, #1) by Catherine Asaro

So pretty :-) Okay guys ... keep 'em coming! I'll probably send out one last reminder to peeps to come on in and nominate.

message 27: by William (new)

William Ancillary Mercy (book #3) is due out in October, so I can nominate Ancillary Sword (book #2) from last October, if that’s okay.

If not, then I would nominate James S. A. Corey's Nemesis Games

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Braida | 51 comments I see some really good possibilities here. Some I have read and some are on my TBR list. Looking forward to September's read.

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) @ William - we read both of Anne Leckie's currently released books not too long ago as it was our SERIES PICK, but I have added your nomination for James S.A. Corey's Nemesis Games as we haven't gotten around to that one yet. :-)

Okay ... the UPDATED cover bling:

READER PICK:

The Duke of Uranium (Jak Jinnaka, #1) by John Barnes Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1) by Neal Asher Dark Horse by Michelle Diener Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1) by Neal Asher Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein Seveneves by Neal Stephenson Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1) by Marianne de Pierres House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds Death World (Undying Mercenaries, #5) by B.V. Larson Fire with Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #1) by Charles E. Gannon To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1) by H. Paul Honsinger Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5) by James S.A. Corey

INDIE PICK:

The Exile Empire by Joshua Done Nexus (Ziva Payvan, #2) by E.J. Fisch Minder Rising (Central Galactic Concordance Book 2) by Carol Van Natta Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Embrace (The Epherium Chronicles, #1) by T.D. Wilson Embrace (The Epherium Chronicles, #1) by T.D. Wilson Spots the Space Marine Defense of the Fiddler by M.C.A. Hogarth Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Ambassador Seeing Red by Patty Jansen Starhold by J. Alan Field The Chaplain's War by Brad R. Torgersen Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy #1) by Nick Webb Fluency (Confluence, #1) by Jennifer Foehner Wells Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1) by Nathan Lowell

Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1) by Karen Bao Chimera (Universe Eventual, #1) by N.J. Tanger Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1) by R.J. Anderson Undercity (Major Bhaajan, #1) by Catherine Asaro

Keep 'em coming!

message 30: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 117 comments I'll second Seveneves for Reader Pick! I've had my eye on that one lately

message 31: by Tom (new)

Tom Julian I'll nominate myself again!!! Timberwolf by me.

Here is a pretty spot-on review that'll give you a good sense of what it's about.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 32: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Nardi Reader: Dark intelligence by Neal Asher

Indie: Constitution by Nick Webb

message 33: by Don (new)

Don Chase (donchase) | 8 comments well if Tom's gonna do it I may as well too. I nominate The Antilles (Strand, #1) by Don Chase for the indie pick

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Scott And I'll put Star Cruise: Marooned in one more time for the Indie Pick!

message 35: by Jolie (new)

Jolie Mason | 6 comments Any thing Ruby Lionsdrake. It just seems like nominating my own indie pub would be bad somehow, so I go with Ruby. lol. However, feel free to take a look at my series.

Mandrake company series or Stars across time are both awesome.

message 36: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 97 comments For READER PICK I nominate Transition by Iain M. Banks by Iain M Banks and for
YOUNG ADULT All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (I believe this fits in this category, if not please ignore).

message 37: by Krzysztof (new)

Krzysztof | 48 comments READER PICK: House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds

INDIE PICK: Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy #1) by Nick Webb

message 38: by Anna (last edited Aug 31, 2015 07:18PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Only a few more hours left to nominate, and then it will be time for the Random.org randomizer to do it's magic :-)

@ Jolie - I took your first recommendation, but don't be shy about nominating your own book. This is the one chance a month you get to raise your hand and say 'I wrote a book' so go ahead next month if you want.

@ AndrewP - While a teen space opera manga-novel or manga-tie-in-novel would definitely qualify for nomination as a Young Adult Friendly Pick, All You Need Is Kill (also known as The Edge of Tomorrow), the main protagonist Keiji Kiriya (also known as Tom Cruise) is an adult, and the book is advertised as adult military science fiction. You could nominate it as a Reader Pick at some point? I could swap it out for House of Suns if you want? My kid is a massive Attack on Titans manga fan which is somewhat similar to All You Need is Kill, but the latter stars teen protagonists.

READER PICK:

The Duke of Uranium (Jak Jinnaka, #1) by John Barnes Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1) by Neal Asher Dark Horse by Michelle Diener Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1) by Neal Asher Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein Seveneves by Neal Stephenson Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1) by Marianne de Pierres House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds Death World (Undying Mercenaries, #5) by B.V. Larson Fire with Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #1) by Charles E. Gannon To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1) by H. Paul Honsinger Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5) by James S.A. Corey Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1) by Neal Asher Transition by Iain M. Banks House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds

INDIE PICK:

The Exile Empire by Joshua Done Nexus (Ziva Payvan, #2) by E.J. Fisch Minder Rising (Central Galactic Concordance Book 2) by Carol Van Natta Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Embrace (The Epherium Chronicles, #1) by T.D. Wilson Embrace (The Epherium Chronicles, #1) by T.D. Wilson Spots the Space Marine Defense of the Fiddler by M.C.A. Hogarth Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Android Hunters (The Corli Saga, #1) by Jonathan Bergeron Ambassador Seeing Red by Patty Jansen Starhold by J. Alan Field The Chaplain's War by Brad R. Torgersen Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy #1) by Nick Webb Fluency (Confluence, #1) by Jennifer Foehner Wells Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1) by Nathan Lowell Timberwolf by Tom Julian Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy #1) by Nick Webb The Antilles (Strand, #1) by Don Chase Star Cruise Marooned (A Sectors SF Romance) by Veronica Scott Mercenary Instinct (Mandrake Company, #1) by Ruby Lionsdrake Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy #1) by Nick Webb

Only a few more hours... [*drum roll*]

message 39: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Is the Catherine Asaro book -- Undercity -- really young adult?

message 40: by Anna (last edited Sep 01, 2015 06:36AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Betsy wrote: "Is the Catherine Asaro book -Undercity- really young adult?"

Just checked and ... no :-( It's clearly an adult novel with an adult protagonist advertised for an adult audience. Good call Betsy, thanks!

Just a note for the purpose of the Young Adult Friendly pick ... it's not merely a book that's 'clean' enough for a teenager to read, but a book written ABOUT teens, FOR teens. Science fiction as a literary genre has been dying. Video games, blockbuster movies, comics, manga ... yes ... those have been thriving ... but as a WRITTEN genre sci-fi has been dying because kids who read have so many other genres writing books ABOUT and FOR them (i.e., the first-person POV angsty sparkly vampires who obsess about the mysterious high school hunk). So the YA Friendly Pick is to help highlight sci-fi books that modern teenagers in 2015 will read. It has to pass the Borg Queen's 13-year-old Borg Princess eye-roll test. :-)

@ Karen - since you didn't nominate a Reader Pick, I have moved your nomination for Undercity over into our Reader Pick category? It sounds like a wonderful book. It's just not about/for a 12-to-17 year old teen.

Okay ... nominations are now closed. I'll start doing the magical randomizer thing and then post them all. Will take me a few hours.

Be epic!
Anna

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.