readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Fairytale Retellings Please!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments My favorite type of book besides books in verse. I'm currently reading Suzanne Weyn's Water Song, which has the backdrop of Belgium in World War I. I'm aware of the rest of the series it comes from and the Adult Fairytale series by Tor, both short form and novel length. I'm hard core fantasy but am open to any suggestions.
I especially love books taking place in the south, especially New Orleans. Also any books taking place during any war.
Might be tough but I trust you guys. I'm also looking for just a modernized fairytale or really good writing in fantasy/magical realism. Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Oh and NO erotica please. I read Anne Rice but that's my limit. I'm eighteen and really don't seek that out as my books to read. No offense.

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 77 comments Juliet Marillier has a wonderful epic derived from Irish firytales, Sevenwaters, starts with Daughter of the Forest

Amost anything written by Catherynne M Valente

Most of the novels written by Robin Mckinley

Gregory Maguire has a series based on the Wizard of Oz

published this year and one of the best fantasy books I have read lately : Uprooted by Naomi Novik

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 184 comments Mercedes Lackey has a whole series -- the "Elemental Masters" which are retellings of classic fairytales. Phoenix and Ashes is the only one of them that I've read, but I enjoyed it.

You also might like Cinder, which is sci-fi. I haven't read it, but it's gotten some good reviews.

message 5: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Betsy wrote: "Mercedes Lackey has a whole series -- the "Elemental Masters" which are retellings of classic fairytales. Phoenix and Ashes is the only one of them that I've read, but I..."

I have to say I love your responses! I have one of the Mercedes Lackey books on my bookshelf, along with some of her non-fairytale related series. I also have Cinder. I appreciate your contribution to the topics I write about. I'm still planning to read your recommendation from one of the other discussions.

message 6: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Algernon wrote: "Juliet Marillier has a wonderful epic derived from Irish firytales, Sevenwaters, starts with Daughter of the Forest

Most of the novels ..."

I've heard of a few of these authors but unfortunately don't own their books. Naomi Novik is one I've been dying to read for a long time.
I have read about 100 pages of Wicked, but technically it's my mothers book so she gets angry when I borrow it. Mostly because I don't tell her ahead of time...

Robin McKinley is someone I've yet to read but know I will love.

Thank you for your response. I'm always needing more things to read, no matter what my mom says.

message 7: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenalikesbooks) | 94 comments Have you read Briar Rose? I think it's part of the Tor series you referenced, but I wanted to be sure. :)

I second Juliet Marillier's Sevenwater books and Uprooted.

Entwined is a lovely YA retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses.

Tithe by Holly Black and the subsequent series are fairly dark, modern day retellings.

I've heard wonderful things about The Golem and the Jinni, which might be more up your alley with its grounding in actual history.

Ash by Malinda Lo is a Cinderella retelling that's gotten a lot of positive attention.

Six-Gun Snow White is on my TBR. :)

message 8: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Algernon wrote: "Juliet Marillier has a wonderful epic derived from Irish firytales, Sevenwaters, starts with Daughter of the Forest

Most of the novels ..."

Also, Irish fairy tales are my jam, so thank you for that book in particular.

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 77 comments I forgot about Patricia McKillip: she tells her own stories, but the style is very poetic, fairy-tale like.
It's hard to pick a favorite, but Winter Rose is a good starting point for a new reader.

message 10: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Algernon wrote: "I forgot about Patricia McKillip: she tells her own stories, but the style is very poetic, fairy-tale like.
It's hard to pick a favorite, but Winter Rose is a good starting point for a..."

I've read her short stories and am already in lurve with her. I have Solstice Wood and the trilogy Gifts is a part of. I've read some books of hers when I was probably way too young, and I can't recall which ones those were but I have read her. I'm trying to read some Tanith Lee, Charles de Lint, and Sabriel by Garth Nix as well as McKillip and the sequel to Interview With the Vampire.

message 11: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Elena wrote: "Have you read Briar Rose? I think it's part of the Tor series you referenced, but I wanted to be sure. :)

I second Juliet Marillier's Sevenwater books and Uprooted.

[book:Entwined|84..."

Briar Rose is one of my favorite books, actually. When Jane Yolen had an Ask the Author up not too long ago, I asked her specifically about Briar Rose and got a very long response.
I love Tithe too. Holly Black is someone I want to be best friends with. She has weirdly never come near me on a book tour.
Entwined is on my TBR list as well as Ash! I'm really glad I joined Goodreads because my TBR list used to be a Wonder Woman notebook filled with random post-it notes and it was a mess.
Six Gun Snow White sounds awesome just from the title. Hoping its steampunk, assassin, or biker gang.

message 12: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Carson wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Mercedes Lackey has a whole series -- the "Elemental Masters" which are retellings of classic fairytales. Phoenix and Ashes is the only one of them that I'..."

There are so many Elemental Masters books! I was only familiar with her different Mage series previously. Thanks so much! :)

message 13: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (fearal) | 57 comments I love Lips Touch: Three Times - three fairy tale retellings with cool spins and a lot of detail added to the originals. Very pretty writing!

message 14: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Thank you Albina for sharing YOUR book. While I do appreciate everything people have to say on our topics section, I don't think it's very appropriate to advertise our own work as recommendations.
Thank you.

message 15: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Albina wrote: "Carson wrote: "Thank you Albina for sharing YOUR book. While I do appreciate everything people have to say on our topics section, I don't think it's very appropriate to advertise our own work as re..."

It's fine. I'm sure every writer is bursting at the seams wanting to discuss what they're writing. I didn't mean to offend you and if I did, I apologize. We're all creative, imaginative people who appreciate the finer things in life: literature. I'm sure I could make a topic for aspiring writers to share what they're working on currently. I know that some of the fan fiction writers have to be on here! :) it was really the link that threw me off to be honest.

message 16: by Stella (new)

Stella | 30 comments I loved Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. It is one of my favorite books and it has elements of Russian folklore and fairy tales. Truly an amazing read.

message 17: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Stella wrote: "I loved Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. It is one of my favorite books and it has elements of Russian folklore and fairy tales. Truly an amazing read."

That sounds really good. My eyes are nearly popping out of my head with how much I want to read this!

message 18: by Mir (new)

Mir | 189 comments Beauty by Robin McKinley is excellent.

Since you like Suzanne Weyn you might also like Debbie Vigue, I think they wrote for the same series.

There is a collection of shorter retold fairytales by Angela CarterThe Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, which is influential. And if you like short stories, there is a series of anthologies edited by Ellen Datlow, including Black Swan, White Raven, Swan Sister: Fairy Tales Retold, lots more volumes.

Graphic novels: Rapunzel's Revenge, the Fables series.

message 19: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 24 comments I'm a big fan of Spindle's End by Robin McKinley.

One I don't see mentioned a lot is A Curse Dark as Gold, which is based on Rumpelstiltskin, which not a very commonly retold fairy tale. I liked it a lot, but it doesn't seem to have very good reviews on Goodreads so YMMV.

message 20: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Miriam wrote: "Beauty by Robin McKinley is excellent.

Since you like Suzanne Weyn you might also like Debbie Vigue, I think they wrote for the same series.

There is a collection of shorter retold f..."

You actually have my reading personality dead on. I finished Violet Eyes by Vigue not even a month ago, own all the novel length anthologies, have read all but the last two or three volumes of Fables and have read all spinoff series. I don't have Carter's Bloody Chamber, but I have the Collected Short Stories published after her death and a novel by her. Rapunzel's Revenge has a sequel if you didn't know already. Calamity Jack. Raises the romantic feelings between the main characters. I have to say, I still haven't read Beauty. I have all the classic McKinley, except Rose Daughter but all my classic fantasy authors are in my basement. I think I only have George RR Martin, Orson Scott Card, Roger Zelazny, and Mary Stewart still in my room because I don't have as many of them. I also have this author I've read that's historical time traveller ressurection, Sarah Douglass. Feel free to add me as I feel like we could discuss a lot of books together.

message 21: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Miriam wrote: "Beauty by Robin McKinley is excellent.

There is a collection of shorter retold f..."

Have you read Troll's Eye View or Zombies vs Unicorns? Both awesome collections. Also Prom Nights From Hell, Vacations From Hell, Love Is Hell, Geektastic. If you can find them, read the Gloomcookie vols. and the two Shadoweyes vols., Shadoweyes and Shadoweyes in Love. And if you haven't read the House of Night series, the last one is being published soon so that's a great series as well as The Faerie Path. HON- PC Cast, Faerie Path- Allan Frewin Jones. Three more words: Francesca Lia Block.

message 22: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Sophie wrote: "I'm a big fan of Spindle's End by Robin McKinley.

One I don't see mentioned a lot is A Curse Dark as Gold, which is based on Rumpelstiltskin, which not a ..."

Never heard of that. About as crazy about Rumplestiltskin as Rumplestiltskin is crazy. I'm going to be checking that out. I'm starting a book that's a retelling of Rumplestiltskin, The Crimson Thread by Suzanne Weyn. But I The Rumplestiltskin Problem by Vivian Vande Velde. She has a similar book to that with Cloaked in Red, except it's Little Red.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) | 39 comments Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins by Emma Donoghue Very interesting book with a turn-about in that the heroine is seeking the witch as feminine empowerment

message 24: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Thanks for this rec. I will definitely check it out. This is a title I've not heard of before. :)

message 25: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Thanks for this rec. I will definitely check it out. This is a title I've not heard of before. :)