Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Encore (Blue Notes, #5)
This topic is about Encore
Archive (Buddy Reads) > September Buddy Read- Encore

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 10936 comments We will be reading Encore Encore (Blue Notes, #5) by Shira Anthony for our m/m Sept. buddy read.

Please join us!

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 10936 comments I still haven't gotten to this one. I hope to get to it before September is up.

Anyone else read it yet? Liked it?

message 3: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments It is near the top for me , but not yet. I was holding off until at least today so I could use it in the new quarterly challenge.

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments I read it right after the first of the month and it was ok, but I didn't like it as well as the other books I've read in the series. Not sure exactly why, it may have been at least partially a matter of RL interfering, but I never really connected with the characters as much as I would have liked.

message 5: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments I hate to bring this up since I haven't started this month's yet... But do we want to pick books for the next couple of months before the M&G starts? We could even get really bold and pick through the end of the year.

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments The only thing that comes to my mind offhand is one we discussed a while back and never got around to...Grand Adventures.

message 7: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments Yeah, I'm not excited about that one. True confessions - it's soooo long! And I know it isn't really that long. We had a list from before, we could just pull some from there.

Here is the list from before:

Catch My Breath by M.J. O'Shea
Frankie & Al by Sue Brown
Hot Mess by Rowan McAllister
Beggars and Choosers by Mia Kerick
His Soul to Take by C.M. Torrens
Going Up by Amy Lane
The Buyout by Bru Baker
Slide by Garrett Leigh
Something in the Way He Needs by Cardeno C.
A Still, Small Voice by D.W. March well
When One Door Opens by J.D. Ruskin
Wood, Screws, & Nails by Piper Vaugh and Kade Boehme
Indie Radio 113.9 by Saura Underscore
The Isle of... Where? by Sue Brown
Patient Privilege by Allison Cassatta

I took out the ones we read, and I won't lie - one I read. =)

message 8: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments MountainKat wrote: "Yeah, I'm not excited about that one. True confessions - it's soooo long! And I know it isn't really that long. We had a list from before, we could just pull some from there.

Here is the list f..."

Yeah, it's longer, but it's available in audio now! =P That's fine though, I'm perfectly happy just going with shorter ones, and I can fit that one in whenever. I've read a couple of the ones on the list, When One Door Opens and Indie Radio, but I'm fine with any of the others.

message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 10936 comments I've read Wood, Screws, & Nails. I really liked it.

I think the only one on that list that I am interested in right now is Going Up by Amy Lane. Do you guys mind if I research some more freebies?

message 10: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments No, go ahead Fran!

Bonus points if you find a good holiday one for December! =)

message 11: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 10936 comments I accept that challenge! LOL

message 12: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments Fran, have you had a chance to look for any more books? I hate to be pushy, but the M&G groups go up tomorrow, and I'd like to be able to add whatever we pick for the next couple of months to my shelf! :D

Since you said Going Up is one you're interested in, I'm fine with that one, too...it sounds cute. The only other one from Kat's list that's kind of on my radar is A Still Small Voice, so I wouldn't mind reading that one, but it's not a high priority.

message 13: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 10936 comments I'm sorry! I will look tonight, but if you want to pick a third from Kat's list I'm fine with that too.

message 14: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments Well, we don't need the December one before the M&G posting, so there's no rush on the Christmas one. I was just thinking you might come up with something else you're interested in reading for October/November.

message 15: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments I'm good with both of those - Going Up and A Still, Small Voice. But if you come up with better options Fran, that is good too! Karen is right, we don't really need the one for December yet, I was just thinking it would be nice to get everything planned for the rest of the year.

message 16: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 10936 comments Here are a few that look good to me- all free, none holiday unfortunately.

Somebody Nice!
All or Nothing
I Spy Pecan Pie

message 17: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments All three of those sound good to me, too...added all to my M&G list (I need to get a few more books on it).

message 18: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments They look good to me too!

message 19: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 10936 comments Here's the list in order of preference for me. But I'm happy to read any of them. What's everyone else's order?

1. Somebody Nice!
2. All or Nothing
3. Going Up
4. I Spy Pecan Pie
5. A Still, Small Voice

message 20: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments I would put Somebody Nice! at number 1 too, but then it is sort of a three way tie between All or Nothing, Going Up and A Still, Small Voice. With I Spy Pecan Pie close behind. Really, I could go with any of them and be happy.

message 21: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments I'm good with any of them, and realistically, I'll probably read all of them in the next 2 months anyway. Since Fran was the first one to actually voice a preference, why don't we just go with her top 2 picks, and call it good?

message 22: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments Sounds good to me!

message 23: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments I'm here!! The books look good to me :)

message 24: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments Yay, Jane! You're a busy little bee today, aren't you? =P

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments Just added the top two to my picking list :)

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Yay, Jane! You're a busy little bee today, aren't you? =P"

Yup - and now Nige wants me to climb an escarpment with him and some friends! Not going to get any picking done today I suspect!

message 27: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments I don't think I'll get to Encore this month. I still haven't read Prelude and I feel the need to stay in order ;P

message 28: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments I hope you're going to give us the PtP theme first! =P

message 29: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments No PtP theme first... =( (Said in my best whiny voice!)

message 30: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "I don't think I'll get to Encore this month. I still haven't read Prelude and I feel the need to stay in order ;P"

I normally feel that same need, but since these books were written all out of order and Prelude actually takes place after Encore, I didn't have an issue with it.

message 31: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "I hope you're going to give us the PtP theme first! =P"

Done! Only just realised that I needed to do that! My mind is still coming together I think ;)

message 32: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 10936 comments Are we only choosing for October and November?
Should we hold out for a holiday read for December? Maybe a new release?

message 33: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "I don't think I'll get to Encore this month. I still haven't read Prelude and I feel the need to stay in order ;P"

I normally feel that same need, but since these books were wri..."

I hadn't realised that... Hmmm - if I can fit it in I will but I have about 5 other books in front of it :D

message 34: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6798 comments Jane, I know how that goes!

Fran, as far as I'm concerned since we don't actually need it for the M&G we could hold off a little longer on the December book and try to find a holiday themed one, but I'm easy either way...I know I'll be reading a ton of holiday books, so one more or less won't really matter. Whatever everyone else wants to do is fine with me.

message 35: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments So - Somebody Nice is October; and All Or Nothing is our November read?

And definitely a holiday read for December :)

I have Mending Noel down to read in December at the moment, but I'm open to any...

message 36: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "So - Somebody Nice is October; and All Or Nothing is our November read?

And definitely a holiday read for December :)

I have Mending Noel down to read in December at the moment, b..."

I think that is right for October and November. That holiday looks cute, but I found this list if we want other options: M/M CHRISTMAS Books. I've read some of those, but several I have on my shelves and haven't gotten to yet.

message 37: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 19203 comments And now to my thoughts on the book from this month:

I liked this a lot, but I struggled with it too. It was a very slow read for me, which is not normal even with real life interfering. And while I believed John and Roger truly loved each other, they really needed to grow up so they could be together. It wasn't overly angsty, but there was a mot of misery and uncertainty in their relationship. It wasn't always nice to read. It was nice to see the progression over the years with attitudes and issues as they changed and I tried to remind myself that they were living in different times. Their struggles were real and that was a big part of what they were dealing with. Enjoyable, but not my favorite of the bunch. Nice to get their story since they have been part of the series all along.

I just copied from my review, I stayed up WAY too late finishing this late night! Overall it was 3+ Stars and I'm glad I read it, but I enjoyed some of the other books much more.