CHORF Central Command discussion

Metatopics

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Dhu Hi. I joined this group because it's the Only one I could find with the goal of recommending works that peoole found worthy of a Hugo nomination for the coming year. I think that sharing infotmation about work and people who you feel may merit a Hugo nomination is the best way to make sure that no one group can dominate the nominations.

I expect to be recommending this group to others, and so I thought it woukd be a good idea to have s topic where things relating to the group and its members could be discussed, hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) I agree. Recommend short stories, fanfic, artists and all that under the radar stuff. No self promotion please because that may get a little out of hand. Get a friend to do it at least.

message 3: by Morgan (last edited Aug 23, 2015 03:07PM) (new)

Morgan Dhu There's no place here for short fiction yet, but I thought folks might like to look at this io9 article where peoole are recommending short stories from this year.

http://io9.com/what-are-the-best-shor...

It's to be a quarterly feature, apparently.

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 5 comments Mod
Morgan wrote: "There's no place here for short fiction yet, but I thought folks might like to look at this io9 article where peoole are recommending short stories from this year. "

Actually there is a section for short fiction, it's just that nobody's posted in it yet. Create a new thread and select "Hugo Short Prose Suggestions" as the folder. (I haven't bothered to create separate folders for all the short fiction categories because I'm not sure how much discussion they'll generate.)

I'm still thinking about how to organize the folders -- I don't want it to become overwhelming with too many choices, but I'm not sure whether graphic novels should be grouped with dramatic presentations or what.

And welcome everyone to the group.

message 5: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 3 comments As a first pass I think the folders are about right for where the quantity of suggestions and posts will follow (about equal for all 3). It might not hurt to seed the Non Prose folder with either one post mentioning the anticipated Hugo categories you see being mentioned, or even seed them with a post about each category. But letting hit happen naturally is cool too. And like you are already thinking, if things change, the folders can change.

message 6: by Bill (Just a) (last edited Sep 05, 2015 09:02AM) (new)

Bill (Just a) I listen to books now. I am in the car and that's what I do. I will be looking for podcast and audible book suggestions.

I don't do a lot of short fiction or magazines. But I thought I might try to do a bit more.

On my wish list is "Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances". Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances Trigger Warning Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman Neil Gaiman. I am curious if anyone as any thoughts or has read it. I think much of it has been published in prior years but one story is new. "Black Dog" is set in the world of "American Gods".

I am not suggesting at this point. I am just getting feedback.