SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Random Chats > brutal punishment

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Aug 23, 2015 10:39AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1095 comments Mod
Your favorite thriller protag took some kind of beating or punishment in a scene from a book, and hung on through it. When other men might've cracked.

What was it?

I'll name one: 'Dirk Pitt'--though overly-lurid and not my #1 fave--has a great scene in 'Vixen 03' where he has to be dropped secretly onto an enemy battleship.

So, a stealth helicopter flies over the ship in the dark of night with Pitt dangling from a cable hundreds of feet below. He's supposed to drop off onto the deck somewhere but instead he slams into the bridge stack. Fortunately its dummied up with plywood, but imagine zipping along through the air like that and then crashing through 3/4" plywood!

message 2: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Also not from my favorite thriller but for sheer ludicrousness, there was a scene from
Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2) by Ben Coes
which was massively over the top.
The main character is on C130 which is trying to deliver him to Beirut so some terrorists can subject him to the "Buckley Treatment". In a badly researched scene, he manages to jam the landing gears of the plane so that during touchdown, they won't open. He succeeds and what results is the most unrealistic plane crash in fiction. The ensuring blast from the engines would have incinerated him and the impact would have knocked him unconscious long enough for the smoke to have killed him.

message 3: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1) by Ben Coes
And from this book, there's a diving scene where the main character has to try find a way up from the seabed. He manages to do so without getting the bends or suffer from any adverse effects which would have sent him back to davy jones locker once again.

message 4: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Feliks wrote: "Your favorite thriller protag took some kind of beating or punishment in a scene from a book, and hung on through it. When other men might've cracked.

What was it?

I'll name one: 'Dirk Pitt'--tho..."

Was he knocked out by the impact?

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Aug 23, 2015 01:30PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1095 comments Mod
temporarily yeah. 15 mins behind schedule

its my #2 fave pitt tale though. ripping yarn

message 6: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Feliks wrote: "temporarily yeah. 15 mins behind schedule

its my #2 fave pitt tale though. ripping yarn"

Ah. Well kudos to Cussler for at least letting a bit of reality in. Much better than the novel I once read where the main character walked over a beach full of broken glass and didn't feel any pain.

message 7: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Feliks wrote: "temporarily yeah. 15 mins behind schedule

its my #2 fave pitt tale though. ripping yarn"

The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3) by Ben Coes
Specifically in this book. The author basically takes a 1980's action film and sticks it in the Post 9/11 world, absurdities and all.

message 8: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Samuel wrote: "Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1) by Ben Coes
And from this book, there's a diving scene where the main character has to try find a way up from the seabed. He manages to do so without getting the bends or suffer..."

Basically Ben Coes is an utter sadist to his protagonist Andreas. Another incident from his first book was when the car Andreas was driving was run off the road by an ambush conducted by the main antagonist who emptied Heckler and Koch UMP's into the windshield. It rolled. Almost a dozen times. Down a very steep hill.