Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

De kat in de boekenkast
This topic is about De kat in de boekenkast
Book Cover Help > Watermarked cover? Second opinion requested

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

lethe | 14568 comments I wanted to add an ACE to this book, as this is not the cover I remember reading. I found the right cover on a library site, but it appears to be watermarked (the cross in the bottom-left-hand corner, right across 'Meulenhoff': http://zoeken.bibliotheek.nl/?q=90290...
a) Is this indeed a watermark (anybody know which site?), and
b) what is the world coming to if we have to start checking whether covers on library sites are appropriate?

(Unfortunately I don't have the book anymore, so I can't upload my own cover photo.)

message 2: by Micaylah (last edited Aug 23, 2015 09:47AM) (new)

Micaylah (micaylah-michelle) | 19 comments Since there are only certain sites that can be accessed for book covers, I am not finding this on any of them. Is it possible there is more than one edition?

message 3: by Arenda (last edited Aug 23, 2015 09:54AM) (new)

Arenda | 22042 comments A lot of older covers from bibliotheek.nl have this watermark.

bibliotheek.be usually has the same cover without the watermark/logo:
http://zoeken.bibliotheek.be/detail/T...
That is the main reason I primarily use the .be now instead of .nl.

The isbn search function for bibliotheek.be is not as good as the .nl version: for older books you have to use the hyphenated isbn10, for newer books isbn13 (not hyphenated) works. You can also search on any combination of title/word from title/author; that works very well.

ETA: I always used those covers from bibliotheek.nl as it is a valid source.

message 4: by lethe (last edited Aug 23, 2015 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

lethe | 14568 comments (In reply to Micaylah:) Obviously, because the cover in the topic also exists. That was probably from an earlier edition.

(Bibliotheek.nl is an approved source, therefore I am dismayed to find what appears to be a watermark on the cover they use.)

lethe | 14568 comments Arenda wrote: "A lot of older covers from bibliotheek.nl have this watermark.

bibliotheek.be usually has the same cover without the watermark/logo:
http://zoeken.bibliotheek.be/detail/T......"

Ah, thanks! You're right, using the 'get a copy' link to bibliotheek.be yielded no results. I'll keep that in mind about the ISBNs.

lethe | 14568 comments Arenda wrote: "I always used those covers from bibliotheek.nl as it is a valid source."

You mean watermark and all? OK. But I'm glad you found one without, as it looks really ugly :)

message 7: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22042 comments lethe wrote: "Arenda wrote: "I always used those covers from bibliotheek.nl as it is a valid source."

You mean watermark and all? OK. But I'm glad you found one without, as it looks really ugly :)"

I did not like them. Since the source was valid, in the beginning I never questioned wether it was a watermark. I just assumed it was part of the library scanning process.
I have seen (very rarely) a cover with another watermark (no example) on bibliotheek.nl that made me question if it was valid to use. I guess that is when I started searching for another source.