Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Book Recommendations > Witty characters

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kartik (new)

Kartik (casperl0ck) Hey! I'm looking for recommendations again :P
I'm looking for books with 'witty' characters, people who're brilliant tacticians, not necessarily in any limited settings. Examples that come to mind include the Alex Verus series, the Johannes Cabal series, the Old Man's War series.
Thanks!

message 2: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 253 comments Retief! (Retief) by Keith Laumer The "Retief" series by Keith Laumer.

An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1) by David Drake The "Belisarius" series by David Drake.

message 3: by Mia (new)

Mia Tasic | 1 comments Young Miles and the rest of the Miles Vorkosigan saga.

message 4: by Brendan (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:57AM) (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Not a military tactician (though there is some of that), but rather a political tactician: City of Stairs

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael | 152 comments Enders Game comes immediately to mind. If you enjoy do ace opera, the Honor Harrington series includes some interesting tactical ideas.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments Harry Harrison writes a lot of witty, fun characters. Slippery Jim DiGriz of the Stainless Steel Rat series, Jason Dinault of the Deathworld trilogy, & Bill the Galactic Hero.

On a much more subtle level, Conrad of This Immortal can be quite funny if you're fairly well read in the classics. A lot of references that make it only a mediocre read if you're not.

message 7: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 412 comments Jim wrote: "Harry Harrison writes a lot of witty, fun characters. Slippery Jim DiGriz of the Stainless Steel Rat series, Jason Dinault of the Deathworld trilogy, & Bill the Galactic Hero.

On a..."

Jim, the Stainless Steel Rat was the first guy I thought of too, Jim.

Also, Kartik, you should read The Martian. All the kids are doing it. The protagonist there is very "witty". Almost too much so.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Most of the characters I thought of seem to have already been mentioned, such as the Stainless Steel Rat, Honor Harrington, Miles Vorkosigan, Ender Wiggins....

And I see you already started reading The Lost Fleet, so mentioning that would be redundant.

One character who comes to my mind not already mentioned would be Poul Anderson's Dominic Flandry series.

Others would be Elizabeth Moon's Esmay Suiza and Kylara Vatta.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments G33z3r wrote: "...One character who comes to my mind not already mentioned would be Poul Anderson's Dominic Flandry series...."

Good catch. Didn't Anderson also write a Dutch merchant captain who is pretty funny... Van Rinj or something like that? It's been a long time since I've read most of his books.

message 10: by Kartik (new)

Kartik (casperl0ck) Hey!

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm trying some out right now; I should mention, I've already read the Stainless Steel Rat series.

Any recommendations for something in the urban fantasy genre? Like Alex Verus, Peter Grant, so on? Thanks!

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 329 comments Cugel the Clever! The Eyes of the Overworld

message 12: by Jack (new)

Jack | 23 comments Do the characters have to be old? If you like witty then Game of Thrones has Tyrion lannister as a good character. Then of course there is Gandalf from Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

message 13: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1 comments The lies of Locke Lamora!

message 14: by Kartik (new)

Kartik (casperl0ck) Ross wrote: "The lies of Locke Lamora!"

Haha, read :p

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Cook | 66 comments Hm. If you allow Gandalf, then I would also recommend Belgarath from David Edding's The Belgariad.

As for witty tacticians in urban fantasy, I would recommend Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files. He's got an even smarter mouth than mine and his ability to plan is...amazing.

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 123 comments Peter wrote: "As for witty tacticians in urban fantasy, I would recommend Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files. He's got an even smarter mouth than mine and his ability to plan is...amazing."

Yeah... but his stupidity around women is EPIC.

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter Cook | 66 comments Natalie wrote: "Peter wrote: "As for witty tacticians in urban fantasy, I would recommend Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files. He's got an even smarter mouth than mine and his ability to plan is...amazing."

Yeah..."

True. As it turns out, so is my stupidity around women. ;)

I am only somewhat like Harry. I'm closer to a wombat in description. I am irritable, hairy and short. ;)

message 18: by Kartik (new)

Kartik (casperl0ck) Peter wrote: "Hm. If you allow Gandalf, then I would also recommend Belgarath from David Edding's The Belgariad.

As for witty tacticians in urban fantasy, I would recommend Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files...."

Haha, read the Belgariad and Dresden, both :P Not a huge fan of Dresden anymore, after the reveal about the 'great enemy'.

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 337 comments And you've read the Vorkosigan novels, by Bujold. Some killingly funny bits in there.

message 20: by Classic SF Fan (new)

Classic SF Fan Oh yes Brenda,I adore Miles,but it was fun - but excruciating - to see him get his comeuppance at the dinner party in A Civil Campaign. If I am feeling a bit down,20 minutes reading that chapter restores my good humour.Wonderful stuff!