Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2015-09 - Fairy Tales: What will you read?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
Thanks to Susan, our shelf picker for September, the shelf this month is Fairy Tales

What books from the list will you read?

What is your favorite Fairy Tale of all time? Is there a new retelling of it on the list? Do you prefer the newer versions of the fairy tales, or would you rather stick with the old tried and true versions?

message 2: by Marina (last edited Aug 23, 2015 12:43AM) (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1343 comments I think I will read

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie Grimms Märchen (1. Teil) by Jacob Grimm

The second one is the German version of the brothers Grimm's fairy tales. I read some of them as part of my German class at Uni and I really liked them (I mean the original, unadulterated ones).

I am also intrigued by Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer , as I've heard very good things about it, but I don't think I will buy it, I have already too many books to read and not much time this coming September.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 380 comments I've actually signed up to do an online short course on Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales ( I think in October) which will be run by the Anderson Institute in Denmark.

If I ever stop reading long enough to actually do this one ...

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1343 comments Very interesting, Amanda! Andersen's fairy tales are pretty good, although I still prefer Grimm's.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 380 comments Amanda wrote: "I've actually signed up to do an online short course on Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales ( I think in October) which will be run by the Anderson Institute in Denmark.

If I ever stop reading lon..."

My husband bought a gorgeous Grimm collection for my daughter and I for Christmas two years ago. Perhaps we could read it together for this task.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1343 comments Amanda wrote: "My husband bought a gorgeous Grimm collection for my daughter and I for Christmas two years ago. Perhaps we could read it together for this task. "

You mean, you and me, or you and your husband and daughter? Sorry to be so lame :-D

I would gladly read it with you for this task, however I must warn you that I'm moving house in September so things will be a bit hectic. Also, I hope I'll have a decent Internet connection from the very start, but one never knows, in my previous house it took me one month and much yelling to have a decent connection sorted out *rolls eyes*

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1046 comments Here are a couple that I have on my shelf:

A Local Habitation (October Daye #2) by Seanan McGuire If the Slipper Fits (Cinderella Sisterhood, #1) by Olivia Drake

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 380 comments Marina wrote: "Amanda wrote: "My husband bought a gorgeous Grimm collection for my daughter and I for Christmas two years ago. Perhaps we could read it together for this task. "

You mean, you and me, or you and ..."

haha! Sorry, I did mean my daughter. I suspect all editions may have stories in different orders, which may prove challenging.

My daughter and I read before bed together each night, separate books, but snuggled up together. Might be nice to return to the old days of reading aloud, but now we can take turns ;)

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Here are the ones I have on my TBR. I'll definitely read Uprooted and maybe The Winter Long. It's time I catch up with that series.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay In the Night Garden (The Orphan's Tales, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente The Winter Long (October Daye, #8) by Seanan McGuire

message 10: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8453 comments Mod
Marina, I read Cinder in one day and quite enjoyed it. It was fairly easy to get into.

message 11: by Tien (new)

D.G., I LOVED LOVED LOVED Uprooted and Daughter of the Forest. Both fantastic reads!

message 12: by Tien (last edited Aug 23, 2015 03:22PM) (new)

I have The Beast's Garden to read this month... It's a retelling of Beauty & the Beast set in WWII. It's written by one of my fave Aussie author so I'm really looking forward to this! :D

and if I can squeeze this in, between my challenge reads, The Golden Braid

The Beast's Garden by Kate Forsyth The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson

message 13: by Tien (new)

Thanks, Susan, for the pick and Lyn, for setting up this thread xx

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Tien wrote: "D.G., I LOVED LOVED LOVED Uprooted and Daughter of the Forest. Both fantastic reads!"

I've heard great things about Uprooted but thanks for letting me know! I may get to it before September because it fits a team challenge I'm in.

message 15: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1343 comments Amanda wrote: "Marina wrote: "Amanda wrote: "My husband bought a gorgeous Grimm collection for my daughter and I for Christmas two years ago. Perhaps we could read it together for this task. "

You mean, you and ..."

I think it will be nice for you and your daughter to read the book together! How old is she? Grimm's fairy tales are quite gory in their original version, but that's why I like them.

And yes, you're right, I suspect too that all editions have stories in different orders, so it would be difficult to have a buddy read of those unless two people agree on reading the same edition. Next time!

message 16: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1343 comments Tien wrote: "Marina, I read Cinder in one day and quite enjoyed it. It was fairly easy to get into."

Good to know, Tien, then I might try it! I'll let you know in case I read it.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 380 comments Marina wrote: "I think it will be nice for you and your daughter to read the book together! How old is she? Grimm's fairy tales are quite gory in their original version, but that's why I like them."

She is 9 on the 1st September, and gory will not worry her! She is very much the horror movie buff, but mostly likes the older films from the 1940's and 1960's.

message 18: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1343 comments Amanda wrote: "Marina wrote: "I think it will be nice for you and your daughter to read the book together! How old is she? Grimm's fairy tales are quite gory in their original version, but that's why I like them...."

Wow, that's a good girl!

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
I thought people might be interested in reading this, Neil Gaiman being interviewed about the meaning of fairy tales:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo...

I might read Gaiman's Stardust. I'm also considering Cress, the third in the Cinder series. I really liked Cinder itself, but the second one Scarlet not so much. Others I'm considering, if they're available at my public library, are:
Daughter of the Forest
Tiger Lily
Uprooted
The Looking Glass Wars

A couple I'd recommend for those having trouble finding something are The Snow Child by Evelyn Ivey and Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue. I gave both of them 4* ratings.

message 20: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4410 comments Mod
I am going to try for Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister as it is planned for another challenge.

message 21: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Aug 25, 2015 11:55AM) (new)

I have always wanted to read Daughter of the Forest, so I might see if I can get my hands on that one. Other than that, I have a copy of Stardust that I have been wanting to read, too. Plus I have a book of Victorian Fairy Tales to read (Victorian Fairy Tales: The Revolt of the Fairies and Elves)

message 22: by Tien (new)

Well, I must say that I can't rave about Daughter of the Forest and Uprooted enough. I read the former a few years ago and it still haunts me today! Whilst I reckon Uprooted is possibly the best book of 2015 for me.

@Susan: I've added The Snow Child on my tbr!
And since you liked Kissing the Witch, I think you might be interested in Mothers Grimm

message 23: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Aug 25, 2015 04:33PM) (new)

Tien wrote: "Well, I must say that I can't rave about Daughter of the Forest and Uprooted enough. I read the former a few years ago and it still haunts me today! Whilst I reckon [..."

OOh, I just realized that I have a galley of Uprooted, maybe I'll try to red that one and Daughter

message 24: by Susan (new)

Tien wrote: "And since you liked Kissing the Witch, I think you might be interested in Mothers Grimm."

I'm adding Mothers Grimm to my list, though my library in the U.S. doesn't have it (yet). Thanks.

And I just remembered why Stardust sounds so familiar. I read the graphic novel Stardust, which is really a full-length book with amazing illustrations. I'd recommend it highly.

message 25: by Susan (new)

I'm also adding Politically Correct Bedtime Stories to my list for the month. I have Once Upon a More Enlightened Time, which is the second in the series. It's hilarious. Apparently, I never reviewed it, so I guess I should read it again, too. And for those of you who want something fun and different to read to your kids, you might try The Duke Who Outlawed Jelly Beans

message 26: by D (new)

D What?!!! We already have a shelf for September! That is awesome. I'm off to check out all the choices...

message 27: by D (new)

D Yippee found 3 on my tbr and added another. Will start with the retelling of fairy tales with The Witch And Other Tales Re-Told
Hope to add The Snow Child
Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins (this one is new to me and found on the list)
and listen to book three in the series: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I guess I'd better hurry and finish the 3 I'm currently reading/listening to by the end of the month.

message 28: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments This is a great shelf pick! I think I'm going to finish Half Upon a Time. I started reading it to my kids a while ago but we got side tracked before we got very far.

See, this category is fostering family reading time.....what a great bonus!

message 30: by Charity (new)

Charity | 540 comments Marina wrote: "I think I will read

Peter Pan by J.M. BarrieGrimms Märchen (1. Teil) by Jacob Grimm

The second one is the German version of the brothers Grimm's fairy tales. I read some of them as part of my Germ..."

I read Cinder and thought it was excellent I'm anxious to read the others in the series.

message 31: by Susan (last edited Sep 08, 2015 02:48PM) (new)

Well, scratch The Looking Glass Wars from my list. I read through chapter 13 (page 85 of 258), and I still don't like it. So I'm giving up on it.

On the other hand, I've started listening to Tiger Lily, and it's really good.