Literary Horror discussion

Monthly Reads > September/October 2015 LH Monthly Read

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Since everyone seemed to pretty much hate the August read, the apparently unjustly classic Darker Than You Think by Jack Williamson, I'm giving last month's runner up a chance: The Moon Will Look Strange by Lynda E. Rucker. I know, I know it's another werewolf book, but you can't get too much of a good thing, oops, I guess that really doesn't apply in this case. Well, let's just say I'm lazy now that I have the first real job I've had in six years and leave it at that.

On a somewhat brighter, or darker, note October is coming and that means All Hallows Eve, my second favorite holiday after Walpurgisnacht. Get your razor blades and needles early before they sell out!

Where was I, oh yeah, literary horror. We'll use this thread for the October 2015 nominations and they have to be at least somewhat Halloweeny to qualify (Mod's opinion wins out). Not necessarily Halloween in the title, just something in the spirit of the season, hopefully more literary than August's read, and definitely no canis or vulpes or lupus shenanigans.

message 2: by David (new)

David Edwards | 14 comments Here are three Halloween-themed options that come to mind. I've read the first, but only heard about the other two...

Norman Partridge's Dark Harvest (2007). This fast-paced novella won the Bram Stoker Award.

David Herter's October Dark (revised 2012). Mixes movie lore and Bradburian goings-on.

Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree (1972). Probably too popular to be of interest, but thought I'd include it as I've never read it.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott I believe we did The Halloween Tree last year.

message 4: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I'm going to exercise Moderator's prerogative for October and choose the book for the month. It will be, drum roll please, Dale Bailey's The End of the End of Everything: Stories. I think it is especially appropriate for All Hallow's Eve.

I'm not trying cast aspersions on the other nomination, it's just that this was just published in July and I've been waiting years for a new collection from Bailey.

Nathan Ballingrud has called Bailey: "...one of the best kept secrets of the fantasy genre for too many years. A true child of (Ray) Bradbury, using language as pristine and robust as his imagination, he writes beautiful, heartbreaking stories for our dark age."

I first encountered Bailey via Golden Gryphon's The Resurrection Man's Legacy: And Other Stories and was blown away by his writing. Even then I saw him as heir to Bradbury.

The End of the End of Everything: Stories is a slim volume available in trade pb and e-book. I hope it is available overseas, outside the US I mean.

If you don't find Bluehole unforgettable, well you just ain't got a heart. Oh, and the collection features the sequel to The Creature from the Black Lagoon, no foolin'.

You can post all gripes here. I will actually read all of them though I may not always respond.