Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > Sept: Monthly Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) So a little bit late this month (really rolls round faster than you think) nominations are now open for our Sept book selection. Usual rules apply. One nomination per person. As there is no quarterly this month nominations are open to authors of any nationality. Authors cannot self nominate.

Nominations will remain open till midnight on Tuesday 25th GMT. For those outside Ireland that's:

NY - 7.00pm Tuesday 25th
LA - 4.00 pm Tuesday 25th
Sydney - 9.00 am Wednesday 26th

Oh and please provide a link to your nominations page on Goodreads. Makes mine and Sara's lives so much easier.

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Right I'll kick things off with Station Eleven. I know it's on a number of people's TBR, got some good discussion points and I would class it in a similar vein to The Handmaids Tale which went down so well last year.

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim The Fabulists by Casey. It is great!

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul As I just bought Station Eleven and actually got two nominations selected last month I'll withold and second Emmas nomination

message 5: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments Here's one I've just finished: Señor Vivo and the Coca Lord
Señor Vivo and the Coca Lord by Louis de Bernières

This is a read for adults only, set in South America in a small nation being dominated by the drug gangsters. The author was born in UK but lectured in South America for a few years, after which he wrote his books.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul It can help when you mention the authors name , did a double take when I realised it was by Louis De Bernier.

message 7: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I'll nominate The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri again and see how it goes this time. :-)

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Paul wrote: "As I just bought Station Eleven and actually got two nominations selected last month I'll withold and second Emmas nomination"

I'm with you on this one Paul. I got it on Kindle and I think Emma gave it 5 stars. It makes sense for me to go with a book I have on my shelves (even the virtual ones). I still have to get into Company of Liars but August isn't over yet.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Company Of Liars is a deceptively (pun intendended) quick read so shouldn't take you long but I agree , a monthly read I already own will ease my TBR.

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne (annemarieeden19) | 1 comments Tillie ColeSouls Unfractured: Volurme 3

Wow an amazing read. Love it so much.

message 11: by Allan (new)

Allan I would like to nominate The Children Act by Ian McEwan, which I have yet to read, but which is short, is out cheaply on paperback, and has been recommended to me by a number of different people.

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 37 comments I'd like to nominate The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt. It's a cracking read. I'm not sure how to insert the Goodreads link (help)
ISBN13: 9780062041265)

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul Link added for you Daniel. Its hard to do it by phone app but on a desktop just click the add book option over the text box and do a search for the book.
The Sisters Brothers

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Allan wrote: "I would like to nominate The Children Act by Ian McEwan, which I have yet to read, but which is short, is out cheaply on paperback, and has been recommended to me by a number of dif..."

One of my Tesco buys!

message 15: by Sara (last edited Aug 24, 2015 07:11AM) (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
Well this looks like a top notch crop of nominees...at least one of which, Station Eleven is not only on my TBR list but I have signed copy of. I also think I have a physical copy of The Lowland around somewhere (will need to check my stacks when I visit Maryland) and an e-book of The Sisters Brothers.

message 16: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I think I'd like to nominate Sebastian Barry's A Long Long Way. I've read so many good things about it, and it's been sitting on my shelf for way too long.

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I know I nominated this last month but I will give it another shot.Suite Française

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations close is 8 hours.

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments Loved, loved, loved Station Eleven! Also rated it five stars. It will have my vote this month.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) 30 mins left to nominate.

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
And nominations are closed! I'll be doing the poll later this evening.

message 22: by Tara (new)

Tara | 118 comments Barbara wrote: "Allan wrote: "I would like to nominate The Children Act by Ian McEwan, which I have yet to read, but which is short, is out cheaply on paperback, and has been recommended to me by a..."

I recently read this, a great read. Intelligent, wonderfully crafted writing and fast-paced (in a different way).

message 23: by Sara (last edited Aug 25, 2015 10:42PM) (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.