Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Group Reads > 2015 Sept Oct - (b) We Are All Legends by Darrell Schweitzer

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.E., Gray Mouser (last edited Aug 22, 2015 12:39PM) (new)

S.E. Lindberg (selindberg) | 2273 comments Mod
In the vein of cursed, wandering Kane, Darrell Schweitzer's apostate warrior (in We Are All Legends) is a must read for Sword & Sorcery fans... well I think so anyway. Read and discuss this weird fiction take on adventure!

message 2: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

S.E. wrote: "In the vein of cursed, wandering Kane, Darrell Schweitzer's apostate warrior (in We Are All Legends) is a must read for Sword & Sorcery fans... well I think so anyway. Read and discu..."

Aug 27th is Darrell Schweitzer's Birthday, so it is timely we celebrate by reading his fiction.

message 3: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Review Challenge: this anthology is written by an established master of weird fiction, was published in 1981 originally, and somehow only has 2 reviews on Amazon.com and Goodreads.com. I am proud to be one who posted. I'd love to get feedback from this group... and to increase the number of reviews on this.

My review : https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

We Are All Legends is a must-read for fans of doomed protagonists (Karl Wagner’s Kane, Michael Moorcock’s Elric, David Gemmell’s Druss, etc.). It is Sword and Sorcery for the adult crowd. Darrell Schweitzer tapped into his extensive weird fiction expertise to craft this great string of tales. It is gritty, poetic, and intellectually rewarding. We Are All Legends mixes the horrific atmosphere of H.P. Lovecraft, with the story telling action of R. E. Howard, with the emotive style of C.A. Smith.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 30 comments OK, so October's nearly over, but I'm still keen to read this. Does anyone know if it's been published as an ebook anywhere? It's quite difficult to get hold of the paperback.

message 5: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Lee wrote: "OK, so October's nearly over, but I'm still keen to read this. Does anyone know if it's been published as an ebook anywhere? It's quite difficult to get hold of the paperback."

I posted a request on the Wild Side Press facebook page for non-US folk seeking ePub copies of We Are All Legends. Wild Side has a forum page too, I'll try to add a note there too.

message 6: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

AlamoJack wrote: "I'm having same problem. Hard to find, but it looks like a great read."

Also, the all knowing Wikipedia has a list of the contents and includes the original publications sources (so you may be able to get some piece meal):
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_...

"Introduction" (L. Sprague de Camp)
"The Hag" (from Swords Against Darkness III, Mar. 1978)
"The Lady of the Fountain" (from Void no. 5, Feb. 1977)
"Island of Faces"
"The Veiled Pool of Mistorak" (from Fantasy Crosswinds no. 2, Jan. 1977)
"The One Who Spoke with the Owls" (from Void no. 4, May 1976)
"The Castle of Kites and Crows" (from Swords Against Darkness V, Nov. 1979)
"The Riddle of the Horn" (from Heroic Fantasy, Apr. 1979)
"Divers Hands" (from The Year's Best Horror Stories: Series VII, Jul. 1979)
"The Unknown God Cried Out"
"Into the Dark Land" (from Alien Worlds, 1979)
"A Fabulous, Formless Darkness" (from Ron Graham Presents Others Worlds, 1978)
"Midnight, Moonlight, and the Secret of the Sea"
"L'envoi"

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 30 comments S.E. wrote: "Lee wrote: "OK, so October's nearly over, but I'm still keen to read this. Does anyone know if it's been published as an ebook anywhere? It's quite difficult to get hold of the paperback."

I poste..."

Thanks SE. A positive response might be unlikely but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

message 8: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Ok, wildside press confirmed that We Are All Legends is only available via paperback:

"Sorry, only a paper edition exists. It's a great collection of short stories, though, and is well worth having. It's available at all the amazon stores internationally as well as in the U.S."

message 9: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Ok, wildside press confirmed that We Are All Legends is only available via paperback:

"Sorry, only a paper edition exists. It's a great collection of short stories, though, and is well worth having. It's available at all the amazon stores internationally as well as in the U.S."

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 30 comments Well, as I said no surprise but you do have my thanks for asking them. I guess this will just have to stay on my to read list for a while yet.

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Hawkins (nihawkins) | 12 comments I'm running about a month behind on this, but better late than never. All in all an enjoyable read with an atmosphere that fits perfectly with the fall season. My review is posted here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'll be sure to post it at Amazon too.

message 12: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Nik, great review. Thanks for reading, reviewing, and sharing.

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Hawkins (nihawkins) | 12 comments Happy to contribute. Thanks for putting this out there as a group read option. It's been on my list for a long time, so it was just the motivation I needed to finally read it.

message 14: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Nik wrote: "Happy to contribute. Thanks for putting this out there as a group read option. It's been on my list for a long time, so it was just the motivation I needed to finally read it."

Awesome. Feel welcome to nominate other Sword & Sorcery books on your to-read list during the polling (they are likely on other's to-read list too). The group reads have been helping me stay on track this way.

message 15: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Joseph | 1235 comments Mod
Jack wrote: "Just finished this book, a few months late for our group read. WOW! Awesome book. Thanks, S.E., for recommending this book. My full review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show......"

If you liked it, I'd recommend just about all of Schweitzer's work, his novels in particular: The Mask Of The Sorcerer, The Shattered Goddess and The White Isle. (They're unconnected standalone books, although both Mask and Goddess have associated short story volumes.)