What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Walsingham Woman
This topic is about The Walsingham Woman
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Elizabeth I battle scene death of Philip Sidney [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Powell | 4 comments Fiction. Written prior to 1970. Not from Elizabeth's POV. Minor character Penelope Rich described as a brown-eyed blonde. One character comments about Penelope: "Her voice was as rich as her name." Not confined to court life alone since it included a long scene set at the battle in which Sir Philip Sidney was killed. I've tried Victoria Holt (My Enemy the Queen), Jean Plaidy (Queen of This Realm), and Constant Heaven or Fecher (Queen's Favorite or Queen's Delight). Any Tudor fans have an idea?

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Sally wrote: "Fiction. Written prior to 1970. Not from Elizabeth's POV. Minor character Penelope Rich described as a brown-eyed blonde. One character comments about Penelope: "Her voice was as rich as her name..."

Google book search finds "Her voice was as rich as her name..." in a 1908 book called "Imperial Richenda" (apparently available here http://www.forgottenbooks.com/books/I...), but it doesn't appear to be your book

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments The Favorite Sister is an older book about Penelope Rich that I enjoyed reading.

The Walsingham Woman is another older book about Frances Walsingham - Phillip Sidney's wife which includes the battle of Zutphen where Sidney died. Penelope Rich was Sidney's first "crush" and his famous sonnet Astrophel and Stella does mention your quote above about Penelope.

The Brilliant Stage The Story of Frances Walsingham is a book I'm reading right now that covers the whole Penelope/Sidney/Frances situation and I'm finding it very informative as it goes into a lot of detail about their private lives.

The Lady Penelope The Lost Tale of Love and Politics in the Court of Elizabeth I by Sally Varlow is Penelope's biography that you might enjoy too.

I'm always looking for new books about Penelope and Francis Walsingham but these 4 are the only ones I know about.

message 4: by Sally (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:56AM) (new)

Sally Powell | 4 comments Laurie, "The Walsingham Woman" is a great lead since I know I have read other books by Jan Westcott. I'm on my way to Amazon right now. I guess you know about the new book "Watch the Lady" by Elizabeth Freemantle which is about Penelope? Also, I just discovered "Lady Rich" by Elizabeth Boatwright Coker written in 1963 (not the right book but it had never surfaced in my other searches.) Thanks so much for your help -- I'll check on the others you mentioned, I'll report back here when I get the Westcott book. Thanks also, Andy, for your response.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Was this for teens or adults? What did the cover look like?

message 6: by Sally (new)

Sally Powell | 4 comments Raevyn, If you are asking about the book I'm looking for, it would have been an adult book. Sorry, I have no idea what the cover looked like. I read a LOT of Henry VIII-Elizabeth-Mary Queen of Scots books during that period of my life. Over the years only two or three have elements that are stuck in my mind. Sadly most of that genre have been purged from the libraries and -- until I found Goodreads -- there were no resources for finding the books from the elements.

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Sally wrote: "Laurie, "The Walsingham Woman" is a great lead since I know I have read other books by Jan Westcott. I'm on my way to Amazon right now. I guess you know about the new book "Watch the Lady" by Eli..."

Sally, Jan Westcott was one of my favorite HF authors when I was younger. Have you read her book Queen's Grace? It's about Katherine Parr and is also one of my favorites along with The Walsingham Woman.

Thanks so much for the Penelope books you mentioned above - I will definitely be checking those out.
I hope you enjoy reading these books I mentioned and I look forward to reading your reviews.

message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally Powell | 4 comments Laurie, I wanted to let you know that "The Walsingham Woman" is indeed the book I have been trying to find for so long. As a bonus, Jan Westcott's "The Queen's Grace" is another "lost" book which so distinctively separated Henry VIII's "three Catherines" as "Katherine of Aragon," "Cat Howard," and "Katryn Parr." I am very grateful to you for your response to my query. If I am supposed to move this from UNSOLVED to SOLVED, I'll have to find out how to do that. Now I have to learn my way around Goodreads and hope I can help someone else as much as you have helped me. (Picture me doing the same Happy Dance that Snoopy of PEANUTS does when his food bowl is full! Oh, Frabjous Day!)

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
Sally, taken care of.