The Crooked Bookies discussion

Dragondoom Discussion > Dragondoom Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 223 comments Mod
Get this book early, guys. I had to special-order it from a different library system; San Diego County didn't have it.

Jess, Mel--you guys can borrow my copy if you have difficulty finding one.

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 223 comments Mod
****Please note that the cutoff date to read this book is September 31, not October 1st. I've tried several times to edit the dates on the home page, but Goodreads won't let my edits stick.

And I'll totally come after you for taking an extra day. I'll do it.

message 3: by Mel (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:20PM) (new)

Mel | 47 comments Mod
Bring it. I dare you.

Thanks, Jenn. I bought it on Amazon for $3. Same if you guys wanna borrow it.

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 223 comments Mod
There aren't 31 days in September. Sweet.

Due date: September 30th, which exists.

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel | 47 comments Mod
Not gonna lie, I don't think I'll be done in time for the cut off. I'm almost done, but not quite there. This has been a much busier month than I originally planned. But, finished and comment I shall! :-)

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 223 comments Mod
I didn't read it. I had too much to do this month. I will eventually read it, though. Wendy's books are always great reads. She recommended Night's Master by Tanith Lee to me a few years ago, and it remains one of my favorite-ever books.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 223 comments Mod
What are your thoughts on the almost-finished book, Mel?

message 8: by Wendopolis (new)

Wendopolis | 77 comments I am eager to hear your comments, as this is a favorite book of mine and I've read it many times.

message 9: by Wendopolis (new)

Wendopolis | 77 comments I am eager to hear your comments, as this is a favorite book of mine and I've read it many times.

message 10: by Jess James (new)

Jess James | 22 comments The good: The princess and prince of two people setting aside their bitter differences and uniting for a common goal. It's a theme that is seen in novels (and in real life) all the time, and I love it every time I see it. I liked the way the author bounces back and forth between past and present, and in no way was it confusing. It weaved each piece of the story together seamlessly.
The bad: The slaying of Sleeth, as a plot point, was so similar to the dwarves' slaying of Smaug in The Hobbit that it was difficult to overlook.
The ugly: The writing style is not one that I'm a fan of. Wordy descriptions with lavish depictions of scenes were often unnecessary. There were times when I felt like I was absolutely slogging through the writing.

All in all I liked it well enough. I felt like it could have used more original content (as opposed to elves, dwarves, and dragons) to lend more to fantasy as a genre, but I would definitely recommend it.

message 11: by Wendopolis (new)

Wendopolis | 77 comments I find it interesting that you mention the writing style. I liked it because it adds to the overall atmosphere of the story. A more casual style wouldn't have worked, I don't think. It really would gave changed the feel of the tale. I especially enjoyed the developing relationship of Elyn and Thork. That was well done.

message 12: by Wendopolis (new)

Wendopolis | 77 comments I find it interesting that you mention the writing style. I liked it because it adds to the overall atmosphere of the story. A more casual style wouldn't have worked, I don't think. It really would gave changed the feel of the tale. I especially enjoyed the developing relationship of Elyn and Thork. That was well done.

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel | 47 comments Mod
Rating: 3 stars

Finished 'Dragondoom'. Sorry it took so long. There was distracting drama and shiny baubles. Sorry.

Firstly, I wanted Black Kalgalath (and to a lesser extent Sleeth) to win, particularly when I read the degree to which he was manipulated. I do realize that I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the human and dwarf characters, but I couldn't. Not sure why, exactly.

Things I liked:
1- The blending of scientific fact along with the author's fictional world. For example, when it was mentioned how the Utruni it was related to plate-tectonics.
2- The author's love and passion for what he's writing, which translated into good pacing and flow. Considering this was the 5th book in an ongoing series, I'd hope there's at lease mild affection on the writer's part.
3- The Tolkien qualities reminded me of books I enjoyed and am kinda hankering to reread. Having that familiarity made it easier for me to get into the narrative.
4- The intro about these pages being transcribed from bardic song. Nice touch.

Things I didn't like:
1- The bouncing around. I prefer a linear chronology. As is often the case with this kind of transition, it makes me feel like I'm constantly reading explanations rather than action.
2- Purple prose. There were more than one instance where he reiterated himself three times within the same sentence.
3- The action scenes are good, but were too few during some of the long stretches.

In summary, it was a good book. I wish I had time to savor it more and wasn't so rushed, which isn't the books fault but my own.