Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

General Discussions > How Do You Get Your Comics/Graphic Novels?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Being total new to this world of comic books, I'm curious how people go about getting their comics, and staying on top of all the new issues that come out?

I've only been using the ComiXology app on my tablet, which is super convenient. I've been picking them up in volumes, too. However, it does get a bit spend-y.

Am I missing something by skipping the comic book store and getting the stories in individual issues? Is there some sort of library program out there for comic books? Are there subscription programs? Help! :-)

message 2: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (ladyofbookscoffee) I really don't live near many comic book stores, but I can tell you there are a lot of comics and graphic novels on Amazon and other websites, but like you I understand the need to want to know what you're buying before you buy it. Even if there are no traditional comic book stores in your area. I understand Barnes and Noble has a pretty decent Manga and Comic/Graphic Novel selection in case you live near one of them.

message 3: by Lono (new)

Lono | 44 comments InStockTrades has great prices and bulletproof packaging for most recent comic releases. Love them. Never had an issue and I've been ordering for years. Out of print and hard to find stuff you're gonna have to hunt for elsewhere.

message 4: by Cheese (new)

Cheese I use several methods...

1. Local comic store
2. Amazon recommendations
3. Goodreads : watching others what they read.
4. Digital comic apps : Image, marvel, dc, vertigo, dark horse and idw comics app. ( this is a great source of info and good for sales and previews)
5. Google.

message 5: by Cheese (new)

Cheese P.s image is where it's at. Also try your local bookstore graphic novel section.

message 6: by Lono (new)

Lono | 44 comments Alistair wrote: "P.s image is where it's at. Also try your local bookstore graphic novel section."

Word.

message 7: by Mody (new)

Mody Tarek (modytt) | 1 comments I download the first issues using torrent (KAT) and if I liked it I would buy the trade paperback from the comic book store near my house.
Comic books cost a lot, especially the marvel ones. I bought the digital version of Ms Marvel and I found the physical copies cheaper in store!

message 8: by Mike Briggs (last edited Aug 22, 2015 08:39PM) (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) Lynda wrote: "Is there some sort of library program out there for comic books?"

Yes. I've read a huge number of comic books through finding them at my library. Either by wandering through the graphic novel section, or putting collections on hold and having them ship them to my library.

Or I did, years ago. Haven't been to a library since maybe 2013.

Re: Acquiring:
1. Comic book stores
2. Comixology
3. Amazon
4. Bookstores
5. Library
6. Subscription (back when the New 52 got started, I subscribed to something like 5 or 6 of them. Came in the mail)
7. Other (Anything that has magazines for sale might have some comics hidden among them, be it Target, Wall-Mart, etc.; think I bought a copy of comics at a gas station once, decades ago)

message 9: by Mike Briggs (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) Oh, and if you do not already know it - Wednesday is the day most new comics come out. Be it Comixology or comic book stores.

As to how do I found out about comics? Luck mostly. Looking at what's newly released on Wednesdays. I've never really found a good method of keeping up with comics via internet or otherwise. I mean personally. I know there are comic blogs and websites devoted to comics out there.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments Local comic shop. ComiXology. Marvel Unlimited subscription. Amazon or InStockTrades for collections. If you want to know what is coming out, various news sites, publisher sites or Previews catalog, available from most shops.

message 11: by Joshie (new)

Joshie (jgabcdefg) | 18 comments In bookstores and we happen to have a comic store here where you could have a pull list/pre-order comics for single issues.

message 12: by Joshie (new)

Joshie (jgabcdefg) | 18 comments In bookstores and we happen to have a comic store here where you could have a pull list/pre-order comics for single issues.

message 13: by Joshie (new)

message 14: by Lynda (new)

Lynda So much great input everyone, thank you so much your input and suggestions. There is a local comic book store in the town I work in, which I've been meaning to check out. Also, thanks for the tip regarding the library...it's where I get 90% of my e-books, don't know why I didn't think to look for comic books.

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan Wilson | 7 comments Yes, ordering collected editions from the public library works well for me. Goodreads' listopia section has a number of crowd-sourced lists of reading recommendations, and howtolovecomics.com is also a good newbie-oriented site.

message 16: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (dominickgrace) | 165 comments Nothing beats a local store, if you have access to one, as long as it's run by people who know what they are talking about. I'm lucky in that there are three such stores in my city. You can actually look at stuff before buying, find things you didn't know about, troll back issues, and get expert opinions from knowledgeable staff. That said, I still buy a lot of books online.

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat Tastrophy (katastrophy9) | 3 comments With limited storage space and ease of access I have gone totally digital since my joy for comics first derives from the story and characters. Been raiding a lot of the Bundles online, Comixology, Image online, and Amazon.

message 18: by Terri (new)

Terri (dosymedia) Since I have way too many books already, I try to keep physical copies exclusive to series I love and even then, I'm going to go for the most precious edition: trades or hardcovers, if they have them.

I've been in comic stores about five or six times in my lifetime, so I don't find them crucial to my experience, though if your local one has a nice vibe, it will only enrich your experience. Whenever I do go in, I buy single issues of series I haven't read before, just to check out some new stuff I otherwise wouldn't have noticed.

Otherwise, it's all digital. Barring a few exceptions (Midnighter, Fables, et c.), I only buy DRM-free comics. A huge amount of the comics I buy are actually from Image and if they had an online subscription feature like Comixology, I'd just buy through them. As of right now, their subscription program bundles singles via snail mail.

message 19: by Lynda (new)

Lynda I just put several series that I want to read on hold at my library, but I'm continuing to buy Saga and Moth City. Saga, because I have a feeling I'll be reading it again and again, and Moth City, because I really like the digital interface, and that it's not available at the library.

I've yet to make it our local Comic Book store...maybe Monday, because it's close to my nail place.