The Sword and Laser discussion

A Canticle for Leibowitz (St. Leibowitz, #1)
This topic is about A Canticle for Leibowitz
2015 Reads > ACFL: September 2015 Pick: A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 150 (150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Aug 25, 2015 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6716 comments Mod
The results of the poll are in, and A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. will be the September pick.

List of Latin phrases in A Canticle for Leibowitz (Thanks to Tassie Dave!)

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Personally, I haven't had much luck with the classics, but here's to hoping!

message 3: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments cool! I wanted to read that anyway! I didn't participate in the poll, but I'm very happy with the result

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments It's one of my favorites.

terpkristin | 4118 comments It wasn't the one I voted for but was my alternate choice. I've been intrigued about it since reading Josh's (jlawrence's) review...even bought the audiobook then, but haven't made the time to read it yet. Very glad to have the excuse.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments It's downright irresponsible for me not to have read this, as someone whose academic work involves Catholic novels. Very glad to finally get to it!

Minsta | 100 comments Great!I just finished Uprooted and I am looking forward to the next podcast to hear the wrap up. Now I can get a head start on September :)

I started reading Liebowitz years ago and did not get into it - I do not remember why. This time I will read ALL the pages :)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2451 comments Read this in 2013 and wasn't blown away by it. Not worth a re-read so I can catch up on some other reading this month.

message 9: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 828 comments I tried a couple times, finally read it a few years back. Now I'm debating a reread...

message 10: by Gaines (last edited Aug 23, 2015 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 198 comments I read A Canticle for Leibowitz in high school (on my brother's recommendation) and loved it. I should revisit that story. Definitely a good one :-)

message 11: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary True Story: I was chatting with an English Lit professor about an assignment and she mentioned A Canticle for Leibowitz. I said I hadn't read it.

"True story," she said, "when I told one of my professors that I hadn't read A Canticle for Leibowitz, he handed me a copy from his bookshelf and told me to forget about my other assignments for the weekend. Instead, I was to read Miller over the weekend."

She reached over to the bookshelf behind her desk.

"So," she continued, "here's that copy of of "Leibowitz" that he gave me. Forget the other assignments and read Miller over the weekend."

And that's what happened.

message 12: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments ^That's a great story.

I have been seeing great reviews of Leibowitz for close on 40 years but have never gotten around to reading it. About 10% in right now. I can see the artistry but am not yet sure I'll like the story. Even if I don't, it'll be a worthwhile read.

message 13: by Gary (last edited Aug 24, 2015 09:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary John (Taloni) wrote: "I have been seeing great reviews of Leibowitz for close on 40 years but have never gotten around to reading it. About 10% in right now. I can see the artistry but am not yet sure I'll like the story. Even if I don't, it'll be a worthwhile read."

A lot of it is not pleasant, "happy" reading, but it's an amazing piece of work.

I get the occasional obsession with some literary/artistic thing or another (Gilgamesh, Wagner's Ring cycle, etc.) and Miller was one. His life was something of a saga. He fought in WWII. He struggled with depression. His suicide was, itself, something of a Wagnerian act of self-annihilation. And, like all high drama, is vaguely ridiculous and banal when viewed objectively.

A Canticle for Leibowitz is a deadly serious, deeply satirical work on a range of levels. Give it the proper attention and, whether you enjoy the experience or not, it'll burn a new neural pathway in your mind.

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments Yessssssss. I love this book.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2451 comments I don't know if one exists but if you can find a copy that has footnotes it would be helpful. There's lots of phrases in Latin in the first part of this book, with no translation. Likewise, the audio book may be a bit of a chore.

message 16: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

AndrewP wrote: "Likewise, the audio book may be a bit of a chore. "

Haha. Well that's disheartening to hear. Then again, I've done some fairly complex stuff in audio.

message 17: by Gary (last edited Aug 24, 2015 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary AndrewP wrote: "I don't know if one exists but if you can find a copy that has footnotes it would be helpful. There's lots of phrases in Latin in the first part of this book, with no translation. Likewise, the aud..."

Good point. A lot of SF/F books have a glossary. I suppose it wouldn't be "politique" to put one in for the Latin stuff for the benefit of the non-Catholics.... In this case, of course, it's probably not any more of an issue than any number of English books that have bits and pieces in other languages, but if one isn't familiar with them it can be a stumbling block.

In an audio book there's not much for it if they aren't "noted" and even in text it makes on pause to look them up. Of course, and that's not hard to do, but it does make for a stutter in the reading process. If it helps, when one googles "latin catholic phrases" here's the first hit:

http://latin-phrases.co.uk/quotes/rel...

message 18: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments About 20% in. Freaky, but still cool.

message 19: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Aug 24, 2015 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3493 comments Mod
AndrewP wrote: "There's lots of phrases in Latin in the first part of this book, with no translation.."

Here's a handy list of translations of Latin phrases from the book that might help.

List of Latin phrases in A Canticle for Leibowitz

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1318 comments Tassie Dave is a star! You need to email that link to Veronica so she can mention it on the show, wait make that Tom, he does better with that stuff.

message 21: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments Yay! That puts this book in that wonderful centre of a Venn Diagram of "S&L picks", "books I own", and "acclaimed books I haven't gotten around to reading yet".

David | 67 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Here's a handy list of translations of Latin phrases from the book that might help.

List o..."

Thank you. I'm not terrible with Latin, but I wouldn't trust my understanding through all of it.

Chris | 2 comments I found a dramatic reading of Canticle on archive.org. Hope this helps!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&s...

message 24: by Scott (new)

Scott Sigler (scottsigler) | 11 comments Awesome book. One of the first books I was "forced' to read in school that I really liked.

message 25: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tassie Dave wrote: "AndrewP wrote: "There's lots of phrases in Latin in the first part of this book, with no translation.."

Here's a handy list of translations of Latin phrases from the book that might help.

List o..."

Thanks Dave. I added that to the OP.

message 26: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2015 03:04PM) (new)

Jason Werbeloff | 4 comments Excited to read this! It's been on my radar for some time. I prefer audio books though, so I had a look on Audible.com. The narrator of their edition isn't fantastic. Does anybody know of any alternative audio book links?

Thanks!

message 27: by brian (new)

brian dean (surprisesaplenty) | 5 comments Jason wrote: "... I had a look on Audible.com. The narrator of their edition isn't fantastic. Does anybody know of any alternative audio book links?"

I am listening to a radio play from internet archive:
https://archive.org/details/ACanticle...

message 28: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 468 comments Yes! I have an excuse to go to the used book store! (Not that I really needed one) ;)

message 29: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Misti wrote: "Yes! I have an excuse to go to the used book store! (Not that I really needed one) ;)"

It is always nice to have some response to that "Is there anything I can help you with?" question so you don't have to go with "No, I'm just looking" and the implied "...because I have nothing better to do, and I like to read, but even though I like to think I'm smart, and I know I have the whole of the world's literature to choose from, today I decided to meander through your store the way teenage girls shop for mini-skirts" thing.

message 30: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 468 comments It is always nice to have some response to that "Is there anything I can help you with?" questi..."

Ha, so true!

I've started listening to the audio drama. Brother Francis reminds me a bit of Neville Longbottom.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Is there no ebook edition available, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2451 comments Rob Secundus wrote: "Is there no ebook edition available, or am I just looking in the wrong places?"

I don't think there is one.

message 33: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Aug 27, 2015 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3493 comments Mod
Rob Secundus wrote: "Is there no ebook edition available, or am I just looking in the wrong places?"

I got it on Amazon for Kindle.

A Canticle for Leibowitz

iBooks has it as well. At least it does in the Australian iBooks store.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2451 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Rob Secundus wrote: "Is there no ebook edition available, or am I just looking in the wrong places?"

I got it on Amazon for Kindle.

A Canticle for Leibowitz

iBooks has it as well. At least it do..."

Must be an Australian thing. That Amazon link tells me 'This title is not currently available for purchase'.

message 35: by Olga (new) - added it

Olga (meluse) | 24 comments Maybe you can try one of the amazons that have it, if amazon is an option. German amazon has it as well.

Ronald Carson | 135 comments Wow, some really vivid visuals here. Good choice.

BTW, I couldn't find it as a ebook either, so I had to buy the paperback @ the used book store down the street. They had three copies of it (probably from estate sales), and they were all $1 or $1.50

message 37: by Ronald (last edited Aug 27, 2015 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ronald Carson | 135 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "About 20% in. Freaky, but still cool."

Yeah, agreed on the freaky but cool. When are we allowed to start discussing it? Now? Can we? Huh? Can we?

message 38: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments Starting early is common. I'm probably going to put up a thread for discussion of the first section. It will probably be a few hours before I get the chance. You are welcome to beat me to it.

message 39: by terpkristin (last edited Aug 27, 2015 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

terpkristin | 4118 comments Starting threads early used to really piss people off. T&V seemed to frown on it, too, sometimes specifically requesting that people not do it. But lately it's been more loose so either people stopped caring or they just don't whine about it.

*edited because autocorrect is stupid

message 40: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments ^ I seem to have come in after T&V stopped frowning on it.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

terpkristin wrote: "Starting threads early used to really piss people off. T&V seemed to frown on it, too, sometimes specifically requesting that people not do it. But lately it's been more loose so either people stop..."

Mostly, because when a thread gets really long it's hard to include yourself in the conversation and people frown upon starting new threads on the same topic. But that problems exists in general for people who can't start reading the book until the third week of the month or later.

terpkristin | 4118 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "^ I seem to have come in after T&V stopped frowning on it."

Probably. I've been here since day 1 and have a good memory. Though it's only recently that I've seen a huge uptick in starting threads early. I'm not a fan of people starting things early for the reason Anja said but I don't usually complain if things start early. As much as I want, I cannot rule the world.

message 43: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments terpkristin wrote: "As much as I want, I cannot rule the world. "

A terkpristintatorship? Might be worth trying. At least we'd have a good space program!

message 45: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Something about the preservation of knowledge in monasteries and the value of writing makes me feel like I need a paper/ink version of this book.... YMMV.

message 46: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments My need to read with the lights off when insomnia hits supersedes that for me, but I think the monks would still approve of the use of technology. :)

message 47: by Robert (new)

Robert H (chiroho) | 25 comments Olga wrote: "Maybe you can try one of the amazons that have it, if amazon is an option. German amazon has it as well."

Unfortunately Amazon won't let you purchase a Kindle title from a different country unless you manage your Country settings and change the country you're associated with. So even though the book is available in the UK and Australia, it's very difficult to get onto your Kindle if you're not in that region. I guess whoever owns the copyright in the US isn't letting it be sold as an e-book here.

message 48: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6110 comments ACFL looks like FLCL.

message 49: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tamahome wrote: "ACFL looks like FLCL. "

I hope this book has guitars...

message 50: by Sean (new)

Sean | 350 comments brian wrote: "I am listening to a radio play from internet archive"

Yeah, but that's not the same thing - it's an adaptation, not the novel itself. I listened to that version years before listening to the audiobook, and there's quite a bit of stuff that got lost in the translation, like background on the setting and characters, or a clear sense of the passage of time. The latter is kind of important when (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3