Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

A Dreadful Daughter's Spells
This topic is about A Dreadful Daughter's Spells
Book market > A Dreadful Daughter's Spells - Molly Billygoat

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molly (new)

Molly Billygoat (MollyBillygoat) | 40 comments A Dreadful Daughter's Spells

Bev can’t hear her fridge complain. She doesn't know her vase has a death wish. She does, however, suspect her daughter has ADD.

A thirteen-year-old tomboy, Chloe knows she is ‘A Dreadful Daughter.’ But the truth is more complicated than that. Chloe is magiken, meaning she can breathe life into objects. Not that she will possess magic for much longer. She knows that, as magiken grow up, their powers leak—until they forget their magic ever existed.

Across town, a painting escapes from a dance studio wall. He is dumbfounded by human behavior and full of questions. For example, why can’t he cry out of his armpits? By the time he meets Chloe he is lost and close to starvation. Chloe dubs him ‘Timmy’ and draws a magical pizza from a rock for him to eat. He is saved and becomes Chloe’s sidekick, of sorts.

Events turn sinister when the Skizen, a creature of diabolical power, begins kidnapping young magiken from all over town. Chloe and Timmy are the only ones who can save the missing children – if only Chloe can ignore the feelings she is developing the errant painting. This could be her downfall, for love is one of the first signs of growing up...

And losing her powers forever.

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
Added to my to read pile. That's one heck of an alluring blurb!

message 3: by Molly (new)

Molly Billygoat (MollyBillygoat) | 40 comments Thanks Christina! You're all-round helpful and great! I appreciate your interest in my first baby. :)

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard | 490 comments Mod
I like that cover - who did that?

message 5: by Molly (new)

Molly Billygoat (MollyBillygoat) | 40 comments Richard wrote: "I like that cover - who did that?"

Thanks Richard. :) It is one of my paintings. I have a heap more on my website. I used to be a sort of 'proper' artist - held exhibitions and all that bizzo... Although, I maintain, seriously anyone can paint a lot of dots into patterns!

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard | 490 comments Mod
Not like that - I also really like some of the black-and-white "Thirty-Two Worlds" drawings ("Push-up Bra" and "Hello?!")

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
Wow! Yep, I agree with Richard. Anyone might be able to paint, but that cover is fantastic and likely takes skill some of us don't have.

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly Billygoat (MollyBillygoat) | 40 comments Thanks guys. I really do feel pretty humble about my visual art. You can see how I do it in a few videos there - it's quite simple. Writing is my real vocation. :) Painting - I love it, it is cathartic. But I stumbled upon it accidentally, perhaps because I used to model for art classes and listened to so many lessons! Haha...

I'll take your compliments though, Richard, and thanks for taking the time to look at my website! That series of paintings are all from a solo exhibition I held while living in Korea. I did get lots of feedback on "Hello?!," with people comparing it to The Little Prince (a very popular book in Korea, incidentally.)

message 9: by Molly (new)

Molly Billygoat (MollyBillygoat) | 40 comments An extensive book preview is now available for A Dreadful Daughter's Spells. :) https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/edit...

Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Dreadful Daughter's Spells (other topics)