We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Brown-Eyed Girl (Travises, #4)
This topic is about Brown-Eyed Girl
The Books > Brown Eyed Girl (Travises #4) *Possible Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Aug 21, 2015 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments This is the thread to talk about Ms. Kleypas' long-awaited Travis novel about Joe.

Brown-Eyed Girl synopsis:

Wedding planner Avery Crosslin may be a rising star in Houston society, but she doesn't believe in love--at least not for herself. When she meets wealthy bachelor Joe Travis and mistakes him for a wedding photographer, she has no intention of letting him sweep her off her feet. But Joe is a man who goes after what he wants, and Avery can't resist the temptation of a sexy southern charmer and a hot summer evening.

After a one night stand, however, Avery is determined to keep it from happening again. A man like Joe can only mean trouble for a woman like her, and she can't afford distractions. She's been hired to plan the wedding of the year--a make-or-break event.

But complications start piling up fast, putting the wedding in jeopardy, especially when shocking secrets of the bride come to light. And as Joe makes it clear that he's not going to give up easily, Avery is forced to confront the insecurities and beliefs that stem from a past she would do anything to forget.

The situation reaches a breaking point, and Avery faces the toughest choice of her life. Only by putting her career on the line and risking everything--including her well-guarded heart--will she find out what matters most.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Has anyone read this yet? What are your thoughts?

Shivalika Swar (shivalika_swar) | 12 comments Hello! I read it and loved it. As you well know how wonderful Lisa Kleypas's writing is it's hard not to love her books. But it's just not up to the same level as the other three books in the series. It fell a bit flat on the chemistry level for me.

Christine | 16 comments Disclaimer here: "Smooth Talking Stranger" is one of my absolute favorite books ever, so anything new would have an incredibly high standard to meet or beat. And while I enjoyed "Brown-Eyed Girl," there's just no comparison.

I'm not a big Avery fan. She gives such mixed signals that I couldn't understand why Joe stuck around. She's all about having a one-night-stand with him, then beats herself up the next morning. When Joe calls later, she won't answer or even text him back, then the next time they meet, she accuses him of being a player. What guy would want to put with that?

Joe is kind, supportive, and cares about his family. He somehow tolerates Avery's nonsense, and is able to get her past all her angst about her messed up family and failed engagement. But their whole relationship seems so one-sided -- I kept wondering what Joe gets out of all this.....

I also wasn't sure why so much of the story was devoted to Avery's sister Sofia and her love/hate thing with Steven. Were they supposed to be foils for Avery and Joe? If so, I'm not sure that it succeeded, since they seemed to be just as messed up.

However, there are some really wonderful and insightful nuggets in the story that should be cross-stitched and hung on a wall somewhere: "'Sometimes you think you love someone,' I said, 'but it's really just that they've become a habit.'" And my favorite: "Every marriage starts as a happy ending, and then it turns into a marriage."

So..it's still a worthwhile read.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 469 comments You'll never guess what book I found at the library today!

Nope, that's not it!

Haha, just kidding! Yes, it is. I found Brown Eyed Girl! Hey, I'm a brown eyed girl!

message 6: by E. (last edited Aug 24, 2015 03:44PM) (new) - added it

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 507 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "You'll never guess what book I found at the library today!

Nope, that's not it!

Haha, just kidding! Yes, it is. I found Brown Eyed Girl! Hey, I'm a brown eyed girl!"

*LOL*

Good for you. Have a happy reading!

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Keep us posted, Pamela.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 469 comments Hi, Lisa Kay! **waving**

Finished it! I liked it. But as much as I adore Lisa Kleypas this is not one of my favorite series. It's written in Avery's point of view like the other books in the series. I wasn't overly fond of Avery. I didn't hate her but I didn't love her. Joe was cool but since we don't get his point of view we can only guess how he's feeling. I think he was too persistent in his pursuit of Avery though. Maybe he needed to be for it to happen though.

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Hmmm... I've heard this from several people. As much as I've been anticipating this book, I think I'm going to wait until I'm settled in my house and in the right mood. Thanks for the feedback.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I saw the average rating on Amazon.com was just over 3 stars. Curious about that. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to get it from the library when I get my schedule more cleared up.

message 11: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori | 27 comments I hated it. Hated it hated it hated it....not as much as the last friday harbor book though, which i could not even finish (a first for me).

She put no thought into it or anything. It is nothing at all like the other three. It appears hastily thrown together and it is such a huge disappointment..the reviews on amazon speak for themselves. It reminds me of one of her earlier books that she didn't like...a very early one before her talent came out. A north/south romance..but i forgot the name. The writing was very much like that.

I know she never intended to write about Joe....but since she decided to she could have at least put the effort into it that it deserved, like with the other three. I wish she would re-write it.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed, Lori. :(

Dakota (queendakota) | 12 comments Lori wrote: "I hated it. Hated it hated it hated it....not as much as the last friday harbor book though, which i could not even finish (a first for me).

She put no thought into it or anything. It is nothing a..."

I was also very disappointed with this book. I liked the other Travis novels, but this just seemed under-developed and the characters less likable than others in this series. Kind of reminded me of Judith McNaught's story about Nicholas Duville. He was a character introduced in two of her previous books (Whitney, My Love, and Until You) and he finally got a story of his own in A Holiday of Love and it did not live up to my expectations. I experienced very similar feelings while reading Brown Eyed-Girl.
Cold-Hearted Rake was excellent though, IMO, and I am still very much a Lisa Kleypas fan.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I started reading this yesterday. So far, I'm liking it. LK has a great feel for Texas and Texans.

message 15: by Maii (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maii (maiita) | 1 comments I have read this book twice already, and I really like it. although it does not compare to Smooth Talking Stranger, and I had higher hopes for it, it does still have a funny romantic element that I cant resist, just like all Kleypas' books