J.D. Robb discussion

Festive in Death (In Death, #39)
This topic is about Festive in Death
Archive - In Death Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Festive In Death (Sept. 2015) - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10206 comments Mod
Our Buddy Reads continue in September with Festive in Death. Please feel free to join in!

Eve Dallas deals with a homicide—and the holiday season—in the latest from the #1 New York Times bestselling author.

Personal trainer Trey Ziegler was in peak physical condition. If you didn't count the kitchen knife in his well-toned chest.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas soon discovers a lineup of women who'd been loved and left by the narcissistic gym rat. While Dallas sorts through the list of Ziegler's enemies, she's also dealing with her Christmas shopping list—plus the guest list for her and her billionaire husband's upcoming holiday bash.

Feeling less than festive, Dallas tries to put aside her distaste for the victim and solve the mystery of his death. There are just a few investigating days left before Christmas, and as New Year's 2061 approaches, this homicide cop is resolved to stop a cold-blooded killer.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I am currently reading this one. I always love the holiday books they just make me laugh.

I've got to finish some reads on my August schedule before I can start Festive. But I hope to begin by Sept. 1.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I was gonna wait but found myself not being able to lol.

Michelle | 2274 comments Okay this is going to be a first time read. I'll wait for September. I've waited this long. Much better that way , reading with more people.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2237 comments I hope to start reading next week.

Michelle | 2274 comments Anybody ready to start yet? I'll. eg ready to start Wednesday or Thursday

I'll try to start this week, Michelle. I never have enough reading time any more, it seems. I'm working a lot, writing a lot & it's such a busy time here with garden, outside work, etc.

Michelle | 2274 comments My problem is that a lot of new books and authors have come my way. But I want to be caught up by the time the new one comes out. Or just one book away from.

I know what you mean...I have a monster tbr list & a lot of new releases I'm dying to read. But, just have to take it one day/book at a time. I know I won't have both Festive & Obsession read by the 15th when Devoted comes out...just not time with my other reading/writing commitments.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2237 comments I should be ready by the weekend.

I've started this one on audio, but it'll be slow for me. I have little listening or reading time this week.

And already - Peabody and her imaginary frothy hot chocolate! haha And Roarke reminding Eve she only has 2 days until their big holiday bash...and her not having done her shopping yet.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I remember reading this and just having a good time! Not that big of a mystery, just a lot of fun with your friends!

I loved Bad Santa - that bit had me laughing so hard I had tears coming out of my eyes.

I also love her reaction to the hot chocolate and Roarke's reaction to her statement about the prenup.

I have to say... those cops must just thank the patron saint of cops (who was that again?) every day that Roarke fell in love with their L.T. (And that she let herself love him back!)

I mean, great parties, they're always getting real meat, and real caffeine...

I agree, Kirsten...since it hadn't been so long ago that I read this one, it's still pretty clear in my mind. I am enjoying a reread on audio anyway though. Love the humor in this one.

Peabody telling Eve that it's goose not duck. And then explaining the game...lol!

message 15: by Carol (last edited Sep 03, 2015 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Mcclellan | 41 comments Michelle, Sandra, and Shannon were talking about having a lot of books to read at once. My problem is the publishers who decide to release a bunch of books on the same day. The next In Death book and the next Brit in the FBI (Catherine Coulter/JT Ellison) books both come out on Sept. 15th. I really dislike that.

message 16: by Michelle (last edited Sep 03, 2015 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 2274 comments Okay ladies I'm starting today. . . .

Michelle | 2274 comments “He looked perfect—as if the gods had gotten together over drinks one night and decided to join together to create something extraordinary. So they’d carved the face of a wicked angel, added eyes of wild blue, then sculpted a mouth designed to make a woman yearn to have it pressed to hers.”

Love Eve's description of Roarke the first time he enters into the book. Each one just gets better and better.
Oh and it goes without saying. I want one of my own

Oh, I agree Michelle. Just the descriptions of Roarke makes my heart go pitter patter...or boom, boom, boom! ;)

Love Eve's Christmas shopping - 40 minutes and she's done.

message 19: by Michelle (last edited Sep 03, 2015 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 2274 comments I'm a bit behind. Just read about the memo cube.

I think I'm behind on everything, Michelle. I had an appt. & was able to listen to a bit of Festive yesterday afternoon & this morning. Plus, I've read this one before. I don't think I've read Obsession though...it will be a new read for me. (again, I think. Sometimes, I start a book and then realize I've read it before! lol)

Michelle | 2274 comments Thought I was the only one. Lol. But I know from concealed I definitely haven't read on. Anyway. Was hoping to have started yesterday as this is a busy weekend but knowing me I'll find 5 mins of readiing everywhere and anywhere I can.

Michelle | 2274 comments Only Eve would be able to shop for Christmas gift in 40 mins. And hello Tiko

I know! And I love Tiko!! Cute how he had a scarf to go with everything Eve bought! haha And the little bugger now has 2 people working for him - holiday help. lol

Michelle | 2274 comments I just finished this book. And that Christmas party: from buying gift to th bargain with Summerset to the actual party and the next morning at tatties. Brilliant. Had the biggest smile in my face Lots of lovely scenes and interactions. Awesomillion!!
As for the case. Meh. . . No surprise their. And wasn't really intersted in it really but this being Eve we had to have a case. Love how it was low key enough and we get an extended Christmas scene Roarke and Eve style.

message 25: by Michelle (last edited Sep 05, 2015 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 2274 comments Early on in the book, Eve is driving home and thinking of what her previous Christmas' had been like and I had a wild thought. What would Eve have been like if she had managed to run away from Trudi and not have been caught but spent a life on the streets? Would she have been street smart like Roarke or a survivor like Mavis ? I think personality wise she would have landed up in law enforcement but I wonder how much different she could have been . . .?

message 26: by Sandra (last edited Sep 07, 2015 07:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

So funny when Eve finds out that it was Roarke who put the bow & jingling bell on Galahad. lol...he had a moment of weakness! haha

Michelle | 2274 comments Seems they are taking it in turns. Last year Eve but antlers on Galahad

Yeah...I'm liking them this Christmas. Things are coming a wee bit more naturally, especially for Eve. Her amazement that she now has so many friends, people who love her is so touching.

Michelle | 2274 comments I don't know why she is surprised, she sought Tiko out for Christmas shopping. Even Crack made it to the party. She might think of the. As people she came across in a case yet she remembers. The only person I think that is a friends and didn't make it into the book is Father Lopez.

So - we all love the character interactions, no doubt. What about the case? Let's start with the villain...it's really hard to muster up sympathy for him. Talk about an arrogant creep, rapist, blackmailer! What a sense of entitlement! And yet, Eve does no less for him than she would any other murder victim. But it's still hard to see him as a victim.

When did you figure things out? Realize who was involved? Thoughts?

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12972 comments Mod
I like those cases where the victim isn't very sympathetic as we get a chance to see how Eve works just as hard for him as she would for someone more deserving. I found myself struggling to care but got there because of Eve's attitude.

Michelle | 2274 comments I agree with Jonetta. It's interesting to follow Eve on cases like this. As for figuring out what and who. I think the minute Eve interviewed the sisters something niggled. I'm not saying I knew them to be the killer but just something about them. And then the husband of Quigley. He also rubbed me wrong.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2237 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "So - we all love the character interactions, no doubt. What about the case? Let's start with the villain...it's really hard to muster up sympathy for him. Talk about an arrogant creep, rapist, b..."

I'm really late getting to the book. We are so busy at work.

Trey is a sleaze. I do love how Eve works just as hard for the sleaze ball as she does for the innocent victims.

Anyway I thought that JJ was going to be a murderer not Natasha. She was vicious. I would have forgiven her for Trey's murder because he was a slime. It upset me that she killed Catiana too. It seems that she was jealous of the relationship Cate had with her sister.

Do you think JJ really loved Felicity? She is very naive and I can't decide if it is a midlife crises for him or if he finally found someone he loved.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2237 comments I always laugh when Eve is so fearful of Trina. She can handle the most violent murderer but poor Trina scares her to death.

It was very sweet when she gave Trina the gift and tried to get Trina out of her funk and back to normal. As soon as Trina started to cry Eve immediately blamed Roarke for the gift. That made me laugh.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2237 comments Roarke's early gift from Ursa Jewelers. Eve touches so many people even though she isn't aware half the time.

Eve wouldn't be out done this time. My heart melts when Roarke gets all sentimental over the petunia lapel pin and the fact that Eve had it made for him. It always touches him more because Eve isn't focused on celebrating. The fact that she thinks to do these little loving gestures surprises him.

Penni | 812 comments Starting this tonight. Can't wait!

Michelle | 2274 comments Sharon you asked if JJ really loved Felicity. I do think he really knew what love is. And agree with Eve it was more a power thing with her. Someone he had control over: by buy or paying for things he had control over her clothes, her home, her free time and who she saw. Her naivety must have also been a big draw. Who wouldn't want to feel like an all knowing and benevolent man. He had feelings for her, but I think he convinced himself it was love.

message 38: by Michelle (last edited Sep 10, 2015 12:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 2274 comments Sharon wrote: "Roarke's early gift from Ursa Jewelers. Eve touches so many people even though she isn't aware half the time.

Eve wouldn't be out done this time. My heart melts when Roarke gets all sentimental o..."

I love how she is starting to get the hang of surprising Roarke. I'm also so surprised when she has these romantic and sentimental gifts. I know I shouldn't be but she is always so tough that they do come as a great surprise.

One of my favorite gifts was Feeney's to Eve & Roarke. The globe with their awards in it. And seeing how much it meant to them...especially to Roarke.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12972 comments Mod
Hope you feel better!

Michelle | 2274 comments Talking about Feeney. I just love his convo with Eve about the monkey suit. Every time he has to go to one of these he complains about it. And Eve also falling asleep and saying no suit.

Penni | 812 comments Just got started - and laughing at Eve having to deal with Trina.

message 43: by Sandra (last edited Sep 10, 2015 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta wrote: "Hope you feel better!"

Thanks...miserable right now - gave in & went to emergency care last night. Hopefully, meds will kick in soon.

Michelle | 2274 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Hope you feel better!"

Thanks...miserable right - gave in & went to emergency care last night. Hopefully, meds will kick in soon."

What's wrong?

Michelle wrote: "Talking about Feeney. I just love his convo with Eve about the monkey suit. Every time he has to go to one of these he complains about it. And Eve also falling asleep and saying no suit."

Me too, Michelle. Loved that Eve cared enough to mention to Roarke that he shouldn't wear a monkey suit because Feeney didn't want to. There's some great personal scenes in Festive.

Michelle | 2274 comments Some lovely ones. I loved all the gift giving scenes. Feeney, Louise , Trina , Peabody was the best , would have loved to have seen Mavis but the amazimillione was Roarke and Eve. That pin was brilliant. Especially after Eve found Roarke reading the book from a previous gift giving.

Michelle | 2274 comments Couldn't you just see Mavis giving orders to the caterers? Even Eve the morning and Roarke saying that he thought ideas were and improvement on the original.

Michelle wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Hope you feel better!"

Thanks...miserable right - gave in & went to emergency care last night. Hopefully, meds will kick in soon."

What's wrong?"

Michelle, I have a horrible sinus infection & bronchitis.

Michelle wrote: "Some lovely ones. I loved all the gift giving scenes. Feeney, Louise , Trina , Peabody was the best , would have loved to have seen Mavis but the amazimillione was Roarke and Eve. That pin was bri..."

Loved, loved, loved the pin...such a beautiful, sentimental gift. Roarke's cop still surprises him (& me) now & then.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2237 comments Michelle wrote: "Couldn't you just see Mavis giving orders to the caterers? Even Eve the morning and Roarke saying that he thought ideas were and improvement on the original."

I love this too. Mavis likes being bossy every once in a while.

« previous 1