Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > "Don Quixote" versions wrongly combined

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brett (new)

Brett | 2 comments In the last couple days, someone combined "Don Quixote, Vol 1", "Don Quixote, Vol 2", and "Don Quixote, Vols 1&2" all together. Normally, as a librarian, I would re-separate them, but seeing as there are **1,635** books intermixed, I (or probably anyone else) wouldn't have the patience, let alone time. Can a Goodreads tech roll-back the combine so there are 3 separate books again please? And is there any way to prevent this from occurring in the future?

message 2: by lethe (last edited Aug 21, 2015 03:27PM) (new)

lethe | 13731 comments I don't think it is possible to undo a combine except by manually separating. There is no 'undo' option in the changelog.

And is there any way to prevent this from occurring in the future?

A great way to prevent this from happening in the future would be to have the culprit clean up their messes singlehandedly by way of punishment. They would think twice before combining again. (Well, I can dream, can't I?)

ETA Seeing your user pic, it must be extra painful for you :)

message 3: by Wellington (new)

Wellington (wfdealmeida) | 431 comments We could include librarian notes mentioning that it happened in the past and that it should be left like it is

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I think it's best to message the librarian and also flag, so GR can contact them and inform them of the correct policy. Not combining different numbered volumes is Librarian 101. No excuse not to know that.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments I flagged two of the edits.

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Wellington wrote: "We could include librarian notes mentioning that it happened in the past and that it should be left like it is"

We could and should definitely do that (after separating... sigh), but it's not fool-proof. Sometimes people don't even pay attention to librarian notes.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 469 comments Yeah I've seen books combined that had explicit librarian notes saying they weren't to be combined. There are several editions of Huckleberry Finn (I think) that are just some chapters of the book, but they've all been combined with the full book. I tried separating them once, but jesus, popular authors have way too many editions of things.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Got the different vols separated out in large bundles, they need recombining with the other bundles of the same vol.

I don't have time to do any more at the moment,