NYRB Classics discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Choosing a book for September 2015

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
Okay, it's that time of month!

Let's get things underway here, but I'm going to ask how everyone wants to proceed with the book selection process. I don't want to select the "chooser" this time around, but I'm happy for people to nominate. Or, if that process is not working great, we can go back to nominating books for a poll.

What do you think?

message 2: by Seana (new)

Seana | 407 comments I'm not sure how we should proceed, Trevor, but I do know that I want some other people's choices to rise to the top this time, rather than my own.

message 3: by Trevor (new)

I'm not sure either, Seana. I don't want to feel like I'm running the show, necessarily; more just facilitating, so I hesitate to even nominate someone to choose the book. Let's see if some others come chime in.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 232 comments Well, we could have a poll if no-one wants to choose the book. We'll see what it throws up.

Anyway I'd like to propose The Enchanted April By Elizabeth von Armin for September.

message 5: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) I wouldn't mind reading something from the "Alternative History" collection, either Jan Morris' Hav : Comprising Last Letters from Hav and Hav of the Myrmidons or Kinglsey Amis' The Alteration.

message 6: by Trevor (new)

Sounds good. Let's get five suggestions and put it to a vote!

message 7: by Trevor (new)

Sounds good. Let's get five suggestions and put it to a vote!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 38 comments Hi, I have all the books suggested so far so I'm kinda excited that I have a good chance of participating on time this month- I seem to always be playing catch-up after I finally locate a copy of the book choice for the month (My copy of The Prank just got here). I just got Hard Rain Falling by Don Carpenter from the library- I was on the wait list for a month so that seems pretty popular. I just finished Butchers's Crossing by John Williams and recommend it highly.

message 9: by Seana (new)

Seana | 407 comments Sarah, of the books suggested,what would be your pick?

message 10: by Trevor (new)

I'd be thrilled if you'd select a book for September, Sarah!

message 11: by Seana (new)

Seana | 407 comments Me too.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 38 comments Wait-what? Oh gee, that was slick how ya'll did that. Well, I'm not going to pick one I threw out there and I just watched Enchanted April and read a different Arnim book two months ago so let me read the first chapters of the other two....ok I'm back. Between Hav and The Alteration I choose Hav. They both seem worthy, but Hav flowed a lot quicker -for me anyway.

message 13: by Seana (new)

Seana | 407 comments I actually have "Hav", so I think that would be great.

message 14: by Trevor (new)

Excellent! Hav it is!

message 15: by Trevor (new)

Excellent! Hav it is!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.