The F-word discussion

TALKING POINTS > Recent bookseller revelations

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Aug 21, 2015 09:57AM) (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) | 46 comments I'm surprised this hasn't come up here. There's been a lot in the news about Amazon's work practices. I know they now own Goodreads, so is it weird to discuss this here?

This Business Insider article is an eye-opening read.

But what really caught me was this post from Flee the Jungle, No Longer Ethical to Shop at Amazon (especially when you scroll down to the section on discrimination against women).

These things seem horrid. I don't shop at Amazon just a ton, but do rely on it when I actually want to own a copy of a book I'm about to read, look for cheap used copies, and download cheap and free books to my Kindle app. (One of the most recent was downloading Orlando for $.99 to catch up on my book of the month reading for this club.)

But - ouch! - I definitely don't want to be supporting these kinds of practices! Any chance Amazon will see what people are saying and update it's work models?

message 2: by Moni (new)

Moni (macaroon-dream) | 32 comments If enough talk, they can't ignore the concerns discussed. Unfortunately as a student Amazon is the cheapest way to buy most textbooks.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Fineisen | 24 comments I have found lately that having a membership at books a million, which offers free shipping and coupons actually makes books competitive with amazon.

message 4: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
My understanding is Amazon will not police Goodreads. Goodreads will continue to police Goodreads.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (lunaontherun) | 30 comments There are other sites that you can use to by used books for cheap, even textbooks. I like using thriftbooks.com and biblio.com, in particular, but I'm sure that there are a lot more sites, too.

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ We have found that the Good Will here has brand new books for a few dollars! Its amazing that some buy brand new books and then donate them!