Support for Indie Authors discussion

Before Beauty (Becoming Beauty #1; The Classical Kingdoms #1)
This topic is about Before Beauty
Archived Marketing No New Posts > Marketing a Collection

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Fichter (brittanyfichterwrites) | 27 comments I've written my first book, "Before Beauty," and I'm working on other books that take place in the same world, but aren't closely enough related to be considered sequels. I'd like to market them as a collection (a retelling of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, the Little Mermaid, and so on). Has anyone ever tried to sell a collection, rather than a series? I'm considering getting the cover redone for my first book in order to better match the collection. It's expensive though, and I'm not sure if I want to do it. What do you think?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Our own VM Sawh has done exactly that. His retellings are all based on well known tales, but are separate, standalone stories. Perhaps he might have some advice when he sees this.

As far as collection vs series, from what I can tell, in setting up your sales page, you would use the subtitle instead of selecting a series, so your book would read something like:

Before Beauty (a Something or Other Collection Tale)

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Aug 22, 2015 08:51AM) (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4346 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "Has anyone ever tried to sell a collection, rather than a series?"

I actually have several going. Christina gave you the same advice I would. Put the title of the story first, then the name of the collection after it.

Austism (A Noah City Story)
A Ghost on the Lawn (A Spirit Bluffs Short Story)
Ladybug Boy (A Grove County Short Story)

I try to keep the style of the covers in the collection similar, too.

We'll try to nudge V.M. to come along with his advice, since what he's doing is very similar to what you're doing and he's been more successful than I. He may have some advice for both of us.

message 4: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Aye, but free time has become a precious commodity to him! #CorporateOverlordsAreAHarshMistress

message 5: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4346 comments Mod
Riley wrote: "Aye, but free time has become a precious commodity to him!"

Yes. Sad, but true.

message 6: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Fichter (brittanyfichterwrites) | 27 comments Thank you! I'm going to really focus on trying to get this second book finished before I think about remarketing, but I want other people to know that it's part of a collection so they know there are more books. Lol. My conundrum is also a lack of time. I'm writing the story primarily with my thumb on my cell phone every day as I feed my baby girl. It feels like it's taking forever to get this second book done.

message 7: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "Thank you! I'm going to really focus on trying to get this second book finished before I think about remarketing, but I want other people to know that it's part of a collection so they know there a..."

Been there, but anything that keeps the creative juices flowing!