The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > SEVEN - CHECK OUT HERE - 2015 - Readathon Four - Date: August 22, 2015 - 8 AM ON AUGUST 23RD - FINAL CHECKOUT - THIS IS CHECKPOINT SEVEN - WHICH IS CHECKOUT - LAST STOP - MANDATORY FOR TOTALS - FINAL TALLIES - MANDATORY CHECKPOINT - ONLY CHECK OUT THREAD

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 02:35PM) (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
2015 - Readathon Four Date: August 22, 2015 - FINISH TIME 8AM ON AUGUST 23RD WHEREVER YOU ARE GLOBALLY) - THIS IS THE CHECKOUT THREAD

We hope you had a good time at the Readathon. CHECK-OUT IS HERE.

a) Please list the books completed if any and genres and how many pages in the book that you read during the readathon. Only pages read during the readathon itself count towards the readathon page total but the book when completed (if during the readathon) can count towards books completed. This is the tally thread for all of the checkpoint segments. Tally and list books and authors where you have read any pages.

b) Let us know the books you read or are reading - start and finish pages and genre.
You can read 10 books if you like - if you want to read them each a little bit at a time that is also allowed but you must let us know your start and end pages and all of the book details. Also tally them up here on the checkout thread.

c) How much time did you read total during the 24 hour readathon? This is the tally thread for all of your checkpoints in the readathon.

d) List all of the books completed over the total readathon - citations please - title and author.

e) Tally all of your pages read and how much total time did you read and how many pages

f) Let us know your timezone and location.

So here is an example:

a) Completed one book: The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott - Genre - Historical Fiction - read all 482 pages for readathon. Total time spend reading during the readathon was 7 hours or all 24 hours or 1 hour.

The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, #1) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott

Genre was historical fiction.

Metro NYC - Eastern Standard Time

or

b) Completed one book: The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott - Genre - Historical Fiction - read all 482 pages for readathon.

The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, #1) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott

Metro NYC - Eastern Standard Time

and started the next book

b) The Day of the Scorpion - Genre - Historical Fiction - read from 1 - page 200 - have not completed book yet.

Paul Scott by Paul Scott The Day of the Scorpion (The Raj Quartet, #2) by Paul Scott

or

b) The Day of the Scorpion - Genre - Historical Fiction - read from 1 - page 200 - have not completed book yet.

Paul Scott by Paul Scott The Day of the Scorpion (The Raj Quartet, #2) by Paul Scott

Note: In all of these instances - there are totals and stats being counted.

First we will make a list of books completed during the readathon even if the book had already been started before the readathon - if you finished the book finally during the readathon they count to that total, then second, we count the total number of pages read during the readathon, and then we count and list all of the different books started during the readathon, and finally the different genres read during the readathon and what these genres were with a count. And then your location and timezone.

We will also list all of the proud participants in the first History Book Club Readathon.

Congrats.

FOLKS FROM THE PREVIOUS READATHON WE HAVE COME UP WITH THE SIMON TEMPLATE CREATED BY ONE OF OUR ADMINS - IT MAKES THINGS EASIER - JUST DO IT LIKE HE DID - HERE IS THE SAMPLE:

Here is what Simon did for his checkout and I think this is a pretty compact way of doing your tallies if you have not already done them. This is the MANDATORY CHECK OUT THREAD.

I replicated his post here:

The Nixon Defense What He Knew and When He Knew It by John W. Dean by John W. Dean John W. Dean

Final Tally - 105 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 2.45 hours
Genres: Non fiction and Politics - 1
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 2 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed - 0
Total Number of Books in Progress - 1

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 21, 2015 05:41AM) (new)

We will give you until Noon on AUGUST 23RD to complete your check-out but all reading needs to be completed (that will count in the AUGUST 22ND readathon 24 hour period) no later than AUGUST 23RD, 2015 (at your 8AM) wherever you are in the world.

For example, in some parts of the world folks would be starting the readathon on our August 21st which could be 24 hours before our start time on August 22nd but if they want to participate they must also complete their 24 hour period when we start on our August 22nd start time at 8AM which probably in Asia is their nighttime.

This would be due to the international date line in the case of New Zealand or nighttime in the case of other parts of the world like India. We have included the time line thread for all. If you have any questions - just ask - we are here to help you.

In Europe for example if you are in the UK - you could start at your 8AM on August 22nd which is 5 hours ahead of us but then you have to end at your 8AM on August 23rd even though we in the US on the East Coast have 5 hours more to go.

On the West Coast you do not have to get up at 5AM to start with us at 8AM on the East Coast. Just use your 8AM as the start time on August 22nd and end at your 8AM on August 23rd.

And finally - the next Readathon after the completion of the August 22nd one is - 2015 - Readathon Five Date: October 24th 2015
- so mark your calendars.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

This is the check out thread for the fourth readathon - August 22nd, 2015 at 8AM (start-time) until August 23rd, 2015 (finish-time)

THIS IS CHECKOUT. - MANDATORY

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

CHECK-OUT - CHECKPOINT SEVEN

We hope you had a good time at the Readathon. CHECK-OUT IS HERE.

a) Please list the books completed if any and genres and how many pages in the book that you read during the readathon. Only pages read during the readathon itself count towards the readathon page total but the book when completed (if during the readathon) can count towards books completed. This is the tally thread for all of the checkpoint segments. Tally and list books and authors where you have read any pages.

b) Let us know the books you read or are reading - start and finish pages and genre.

You can read 10 books if you like - if you want to read them each a little bit at a time that is also allowed but you must let us know your start and end pages and all of the book details. Also tally them up here on the checkout thread.

c) How much time did you read total during the 24 hour readathon? This is the tally thread for all of your checkpoints in the readathon.

d) List all of the books completed over the total readathon - citations please - title and author.

e) Let us know your timezone and location

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Folks everytime we do this we always find folks who want to participate but fail to join and set up their shelves properly so that they can get full credit:

You must join!

Very important:

How To Join In: - Go here: https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...
Click on the title at the top - The HBC Readathons. Please then join by simply signing in at the bottom and say how many books you plan to read for one or more of the readathon dates - there will be six readathon dates throughout the year; then create your own personal shelf to add the books which you would like to tackle during one readathon or more readathons. That is all there is to it and goodreads will keep track. Become your own marathoner in reading books on the readathon dates and we will keep track of your progress in terms of titles of books, number of books, number of pages, and different genres. Give it a whirl and see how much reading you can get done and take a stab at that big "to be read" pile of books that we all have.

Note: Don't forget to set up your shelf first and then add the name of that shelf here when setting up the challenge for your readathon.

And here are some links to the Readathon folder which will be updated:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Remember folks that everybody who has checked in for one checkpoint to six Check In Checkpoints must check out here on Checkpoint Seven - this is the only Checkout. And it uses a different template - see the bottom of message one - the Simon template

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 02:45PM) (new)

Marietta from Malaysia - you need to Checkout on this thread which is Checkpoint Seven - Seven is always the Checkout thread and Check Out is mandatory for all participants.

Here is a sample checkout template that Simon did: - just copy the framework and add your own information for your book and post it for your book and reading here.

And post it on this thread.

The Nixon Defense What He Knew and When He Knew It by John W. Dean by John W. Dean John W. Dean

Note: I know at this point in time that it is 5:39AM in Malaysia (August 23rd) and you could potentially be still reading and posting on Check In - Checkpoint Six but I think that is probably unlikely because you have not posted - remember the checkins have to be done in real time and not after the fact. We give extra time for the check out though and getting the Check Out Template done which is always on the Checkpoint Seven thread - always the Check Out thread. You have time to get your mandatory check out done and that is here on this thread.

If there are any extenuating circumstances where you are and internet and computer speed or connectivity issues we are happy to work with you because we want you to read and participate and do this again and again. It will the pleasure of the moderators to help you. And we can even plug info into the thread if you contact us via PM because of speed and connectivity issues. These can be real problems where you are.

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 03:49PM) (new)

This is the checkout template for Checkpoint Seven - the mandatory checkout

Doris from Turkey - you need to Checkout on this thread which is Checkpoint Seven - Seven is always the Checkout thread and Check Out is mandatory for all participants.

Here is a sample checkout template that Simon did (one of our admins): - just copy the framework and add your own information for your book and post it for your book and reading here.

Here is the link to the thread: (CHECKOUT - CHECKPOINT SEVEN)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...--

Note: We give extra time for the check out though and getting the Check Out Template done which is always on the Checkpoint Seven thread - always the Check Out thread. You have time to get your mandatory check out done and that is here on this thread.

THE CHECK OUT THREAD WHEN YOU ARE DONE IS ALWAY MANDATORY - IT IS A MANDATORY THREAD WITH ITS OWN TEMPLATE.

Every readathon has six check in threads and checkpoints and one check out or mandatory Check Out thread. The mandatory check out thread is always CHECKPOINT SEVEN.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:05PM) (new)

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray by William Makepeace Thackeray William Makepeace Thackeray

Final Tally: 19 pages
Total Time Reading: 1 hour 53 minutes
Genres: Classic
Total Checkpoints Utilised: 3 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Completed: 0
Total Number of Books in Progress: 1

I thoroughly enjoyed this Readathon, I made the most progress in my book in a day!

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:11PM) (new)

OK Marietta this is great - you got to the end point. Success.

I am delighted - invite your friends to join the History Book Club, sign up for the Readathons and then they can go on the reading journey with you the next time - October 24th, 2015 - mark it on your calendar.

I assume you are a student in Malaysia. Your English is beautiful. I am always amazed at the foreign language skills of those folks outside the United States especially young students. All of the moderators at the HBC are here to help you - you can reach out to any of them as well as myself.

We are delighted to have someone from Malaysia take part in the readathon - it is really a global event.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Bentley wrote: "OK Marietta this is great - you got to the end point. Success.

I am delighted - invite your friends to join the History Book Club, sign up for the Readathons and then they can go on the reading..."

Yes, I'm 14 years old. Even though I'm a Malaysian, my parents' first language is English, so my first language is English too. I only moved to Malaysia 2 years ago from Hong Kong, where I was born, so my Malay really isn't that good yet.

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

But your English is excellent and being from Hong Kong - you got excellent language training and your parents speak English so that explains your excellent form. That is interesting - you are Malaysian but lived most of your life elsewhere so that is understandable.

How are you fitting into school in Malaysia with your advanced English skills but not really speaking Malay that well. I hope you are in a special situation where they teach you in English. Are you liking Malaysia - it is quite different from Hong Kong or Singapore. But a very pretty country.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:52PM) (new)

Jarrad from Hamburg, Germany - you need to Checkout on this thread which is Checkpoint Seven - Seven is always the Checkout thread and Check Out is mandatory for all participants if you are done - it is 2:46 AM in Hamburg, Germany so technically you could still be reading and checking into Check point Five and still have Six to do but I haven't seen you posting lately and what is mandatory after at least one Check In is the Check Out thread which is this one - Checkpoint Seven.

Here is a sample checkout template that Simon did: - just copy the framework and add your own information for your book and post it for your book and reading here.

We give extra time for the check out though and getting the Check Out Template done which is always on the Checkpoint Seven thread. You have time to get your mandatory check out done and that is here on this thread. Above is the provided sample check out template.

We are glad to have you join us.

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Doris from Turkey - you need to Checkout on this thread which is Checkpoint Seven - Seven is always the Checkout thread and Check Out is mandatory for all participants if you are done - it is 3:51AM in Kusadasi, Turkey so technically you could still be reading and checking into Check point Five and still have Six to do but I haven't seen you posting lately and what is mandatory after at least one Check In is the Check Out thread which is this one - Checkpoint Seven.

We give extra time for the check out though and getting the Check Out Template done which is always on the Checkpoint Seven thread. You have time to get your mandatory check out done and that is here on this thread. Above is the provided sample check out template.

We are glad to have had you join us.

message 15: by Samanta (last edited Apr 23, 2016 07:55PM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Checking out...to tired to read

Letters from Mexico by Hernán Cortés by Hernán Cortés Hernán Cortés

Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye by M.M. Kaye M.M. Kaye

Final Tally - 83 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 3 hours and 15 min
Genres: Non fiction and History - 1
Historical fiction - 1
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 5 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books in Progress - 2

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I understand - you did a good job Samanta. It is quite late in Croatia. 2:53AM

message 17: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:08PM) (new)

I think I have all of the folks who are in Asia, Europe and Eurasia done for the Readathon. Next will be the East Coast and we have two more check ins after midnight (5 and 6) plus the one we are in Check In Four - then we move West across the United States.

But remember everybody must post here no matter how many Check Ins you have posted in - EVERYBODY! THIS IS THE MANDATORY CHECKOUT and the only check out thread. Then you have completed the Readathon successfully. Amen.

message 18: by Doris (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) | 143 comments All done.
Amazing Grace William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery by Eric Metaxas , by Eric Metaxas Eric Metaxas
For the Thrill of It by Simon Baatz , by Simon Baatz (no photo)

Final Tally: 433 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 6.5 hours
Genres: Biography (1) & True Crime (1)
Total Checkpoints Utilised: 4 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed: 1 (Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery)
Total Number of Books in Progress: 1 (For the Thrill of It)

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Completed
1929 The Year of the Great Crash by William K. Klingaman by William K. Klingaman(no photo)
In Progress
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus, #19) by Ian Rankin by Ian Rankin Ian Rankin

Final Tally - 357 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 4 hours, 50 min.
Genres: American History (1) British Police Procedural (1)
Total Number of Books Competed - 1

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Doris and Jill - now you can get some rest (smile) - good job

message 21: by Leah (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:40PM) (new)

Leah Markum | 7 comments Completed:
Washington, D.C. Then and Now by Alexander D. Mitchell IV by Alexander D. Mitchell IV (no photo)
Canajan, Eh? by Mark M. Orkin by Mark M. Orkin (no photo)
In Progress: Walden by Henry David Thoreau by Henry David Thoreau Henry David Thoreau
Final Tally: 276 (all books)
Total Time Reading: 6.75 hours
Genres: history, humour, philosophy/nature/memoir
Total Checkpoints Utilised: 5 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed: 2

message 22: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Leah - great job - now you can get some rest -

message 23: by Jarrad (last edited Aug 23, 2015 02:11AM) (new)

Jarrad (jmtew) | 9 comments Checking Out.

Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy Four Women Undercover in the Civil War by Karen Abbott by Karen Abbott Karen Abbott

Final Tally: 210 pages
Total Time Reading: 3 hours
Genres: Non fiction
Total Checkpoints Utilised: 4 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed: 0

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 11:41PM) (new)

Jarrad - have to add the timezone - each and every time - each thread stands alone and I cannot go back and look it up every time so I ask for it to be added. When you do your template - in most instances it is simply an edit, copy, cut and paste. And then you just add the updated pages. I happen to remember yours because I have been reminding you about it - Central European Time Zone (UTC - +01.00) - once you add that to the above it is fine. However, you need to go back to the previous threads because you have some omissions on some of the threads. But you are really close.

message 25: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) Completed
Isaac's Storm A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson by Erik Larson Erik Larson
The Story of a Photograph Walker Evans, Ellie Mae Burroughs, and the Great Depression by Jerry L. Thompson by Jerry L. Thompson Jerry L. Thompson
Not finished
How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway by Margaret Dilloway Margaret Dilloway

Final Tally - 313 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 12 hours, 20 min.
Genres: History, Non-fiction, Historical Fiction
Total Number of Books Competed - 2

message 26: by Leslie (last edited Aug 23, 2015 12:10AM) (new)

Leslie | 49 comments The Founding of Christendom A History of Christendom, Vol. 1 by Warren H. Carroll by Warren H. Carroll Warren H. Carroll

Asleep The Forgotten Epidemic that Remains One of Medicine's Greatest Mysteries by Molly Caldwell Crosby by Molly Caldwell Crosby Molly Caldwell Crosby

Both works in progress.

Final Tally - 28 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 170 minutes
Genres: Religious History and Medical 20th Century History
Total Number of Books in Progress - 2

This was my first challenge and I started out confused thinking it was over six days! Oh well.

I enjoyed it, but it's a bit of a pain logging in so many details each time. I think if Goodreads wants that information they should create a database for it so you can quickly just pick the books on your shelf, add in numbers to pre-populated fields, etc.

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Leslie, we want the details so that we can have a successful readathon - I wish we could just pop thinks into a database but we can't - I am doing it manually so it is very little effort to do an edit of template, copy, cut and paste and just add page number or a citation. The check out takes more time but I give folks until noon the next day to get that done so that is a lot better and the readathon ends at 8AM - once you get the templates down - it is very easy for you guys. However, it is manually intensive for me but we need the stats. I think you did very well considering it was your very first time. You followed directions beautifully.

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Leslie and Teri - you have checked out successfully - check the other check in threads - 1 - 6 and make sure you do not have templates to update or fix

message 29: by Gyoza (last edited Aug 23, 2015 03:15PM) (new)

Gyoza | 240 comments The Grand Alliance by Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill

Final Tally: 479
Total Time Reading: 7.5 hours
Genre: History, Politics, War

Wow, I got quite a lot of reading done! Or perhaps I should say listening since I chose an audiobook this time. Thank you Bentley for setting these readathons up. They are great for procrastinators like me.

message 30: by Karen (last edited Aug 23, 2015 11:15AM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) Sleepwalking Land by Mia Couto by Mia Couto Mia Couto
Burundi by Kristine Brennan by Kristine Brennan (no photo)

The Hidden Europe What Eastern Europeans Can Teach Us by Francis Tapon by Francis Tapon Francis Tapon

Final Tally - 332 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 6.5 hours
Genres: Fiction, Non-Fiction/Juvenile and Non-Fiction/Travel- 3
Total Checkpoints Utilized - 4 Checkpoints and One Checkout

message 31: by Jarrad (new)

Jarrad (jmtew) | 9 comments Yeah first readathon and got to say it's not my thing. Seems like it is less about reading a book and more about data collection.
I think to trying to do some of it from cell phone app didn't help.

message 32: by M (new)

M Beal | 67 comments Checking out. i had a lot of fun and can't wait until the next one.

Completed
Black Sun Rising (The Coldfire Trilogy, #1) by C.S. Friedman by C.S. Friedman C.S. Friedman
Bridge of Birds A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1) by Barry Hughart by Barry Hughart Barry Hughart
I Am Malala The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai by Malala Yousafzai Malala Yousafzai

In Progress
Malice Box by Martin Langfield by Martin Langfield Martin Langfield

Final Tally – 1,801 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 13 hours 15 minutes
Genres: Fantasy, non-fiction/biography, mystry/thriller
Total Number of Books Competed - 3

message 33: by Christopher (last edited Aug 23, 2015 02:31PM) (new)

Christopher (skitch41) | 158 comments *Completed*
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee by Harper Lee Harper Lee
Don't Supersize It! 10 Healthy Perspectives for the Small Church by Bob DeSagun by Rev. Bob DeSagun Ph.D.
McCarthyism by Thomas C. Reeves by Thomas C. Reeves
Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell by Sarah Vowell Sarah Vowell

*Made Progress*
Paul and the Faithfulness of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #4) by N.T. Wright by N.T. Wright N.T. Wright
Simply Good News Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good by N.T. Wright by N.T. Wright N.T. Wright
Natural Born Heroes How a Daring Band of Misfits Mastered the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance by Christopher McDougall by Christopher McDougall Christopher McDougall

Final Tally - 666 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading: approx. 20 hours
Genres: history, religion, Christianity, church ministry, physical fitness
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 6 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Completed - 4
Total Number of Books in Progress - 3

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Completed:
Triangle The Fire That Changed America by David von Drehle by David von Drehle David von Drehle

Final Tally: 268 pages
Total Time Reading 8 hours
Genres: Non fiction, American Labor Movemenet
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 3 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed: 1
Total Number of Books in Progress: 0

message 35: by Helga (last edited Aug 23, 2015 05:29AM) (new)

Helga Cohen (hcohen) | 591 comments Completed
Something Rich and Strange Selected Stories by Ron Rash by Ron Rash Ron Rash

Final Tally: 435 pages
Total Reading Time: 12 hours
Genre: Literary Fiction
Total utilised: 4 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout
Total Number of books completed: 1
Total Number of books in progress: 0
Location Columbia,SC EST

message 36: by Mary (last edited Aug 23, 2015 05:32AM) (new)

Mary (maryschumacher) Checking out.

Completed
An Artist of the Floating World
An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro by Kazuo Ishiguro Kazuo Ishiguro

In Progress
Japan A Short History (One World) by Mikiso Hane by Mikiso Hane (no photo)

Final Tally: 297 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading: 6 hours, 45 minutes
Genres: Literary Fiction (1) & History (1)
Total Number of Books Completed: 1 (An Artist of the Floating World)
Total Number of Books in Progress: 1 (Japan: A Short History)

Thank you, Bentley and everyone, for another wonderful Readathon. I enjoyed seeing everyone's books, and now I have more ideas to add to my reading pile.

message 37: by Rosalinda (last edited Aug 23, 2015 08:38AM) (new)

Rosalinda Morgan (rosalinda_r_morgan) | 8 comments Done.

Completed one book: Gifts from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh - Genre – Creative Non Fiction - read all 128 pages for readathon.

Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh by Anne Morrow Lindbergh Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Charleston, SC - Eastern Standard Time

and started the next book

b) The Bells by Richard Harvell - Genre - Historical Fiction - read all 376 pages for readathon.

The Bells by Richard Harvell by Richard Harvell Richard Harvell

Charleston, SC – Eastern Standard Time

Total Tally - 2 books read
Total Pages Read - 504 pages
Total Time Reading – 14 hrs. 35 minutes.

Final Checkout at Checkpoint Seven.

Thanks Bentley. It was a great experience.

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 89 comments The English Spy (Gabriel Allon, #15) by Daniel Silva by Daniel Silva Daniel Silva

Final Tally - 346
Total Time Reading: 9:28
Genres: Fiction Thriller-Espionage
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 4 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books in Progress - 0

message 39: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice Completed

The Towers of Silence (The Raj Quartet, #3) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott

Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith by Jean Edward Smith Jean Edward Smith

In Progress

Nine Parts of Desire The Hidden World of Islamic Women by Geraldine Brooks by Geraldine Brooks Geraldine Brooks

Final Tally - 319 pages
Total Time Reading - 10 hours 15 minutes
Genres- Historical Fiction, Biography, Cultural Nonfiction
Total Checkpoints Utilized - 6 checkpoints, 1 checkout
Total Number of Books Completed - 2

message 40: by Ebb (last edited Aug 23, 2015 06:41AM) (new)

Ebb (ebbsbooks) The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison by E.R. Eddison E.R. Eddison

Final Tally - 90 pages (92-172)
Total Time Reading 3 hours 20 mins
Genres: Science Fiction/Fantasy
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 3 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout

message 41: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 214 comments Checking in/out for the final checkout.

Completed

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr by Anthony Doerr Anthony Doerr

In Progress

Revolutionary Characters What Made the Founders Different by Gordon S. Wood by Gordon S. Wood Gordon S. Wood

Final Tally - 134 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 4 hours and 10 min
Genres: Historical fiction - 1; History - 1

Had a lot of fun! Did better than last time even though I was less prepared!! Thanks, Bentley, and will talk to you at the next one :)

message 42: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 405 comments Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1) by Harry Harrison by Harry Harrison Harry Harrison
Star Wars Jedi Academy (Jedi Academy, #1) by Jeffrey Brown by Jeffrey Brown Jeffrey Brown
Sea of Thunder Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945 by Evan Thomas by Evan Thomas Evan Thomas

Final Tally - 270 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 15.5 hours
Genres: Non fiction-1 Sci-Fi -1 Alt-History -1
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 6 Checkpoints and One Checkout

Books Completed:
Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1) by Harry Harrison by Harry Harrison Harry Harrison
Star Wars Jedi Academy (Jedi Academy, #1) by Jeffrey Brown by Jeffrey Brown Jeffrey Brown

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 180 comments A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler by Anne Tyler Anne Tyler
Total Pages Read: 221
Total Time Reading: 8.25 hrs.
Total Checkpoints Utilized: 4 + Checkout

Thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable reading experience, Bentley!

message 44: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:55AM) (new)

Folks everybody needs to check out - remember - use the Simon template - make your life easier.

If you did one checkpoint or six checkpoints or something in between - it makes no difference - EVERYBODY NEEDS TO DO SEVEN - THAT IS THE MANDATORY CHECKOUT AND TOTALS TEMPLATE. IT IS ALWAYS LUCKY SEVEN.

message 45: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Still unfinished
The King's Agent by Donna Russo Morin by Donna Russo Morin Donna Russo Morin

Total pages: 170
Total time reading: 2 hours, 45 mins
Total Checkpoints Utilized: 3 + Checkout

Thanks for all the hard work Bentley. I'm always blown away by your diligence.

message 46: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Regan John Wayne The Life and Legend by Scott Eyman by Scott Eyman (no photo)
Final Tally - 103 pages
Total Time Reading 3.50 hours
Genres: Biography - 1
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 3 Checkpoints and One Checkout

message 47: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I always give all participants extra time to get this done - folks I allow kindle reading and audio - I use these myself but I still need approximate page numbers, start and finish pages and total pages read. I look up the print version of the book on Amazon - peek inside the covers and go to the table of contents pages and figure out where I am by chapter titles and approximate start and finish pages for the chapters - it is not an exact science but it gets the job done - don't try to look at audio or kindle versions because these do not have the page numbering in the table of contents - go to the hardcopy or paperback copy for your book and then you can do this easily. And while you are at it - not only do that for the Check Out - just fix your Check In templates on One through Six - very very easy - I have done three audios in the last three readathons and that is how I do it.

message 48: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Guys, you have until 1PM or so and then I will start the review later this afternoon - get your Simon Check Out templates posted so that you can Check Out and get credit for the entire readathon.

message 49: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 1045 comments Unfinished: Eleanor of Aquitaine A Life  by Alison Weir by Alison Weir Alison Weir

Final Tally: 439 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading: 5.45 hours
Genres: Non fiction, History, Travel, Mystery
Total Checkpoints Utilized - 3 Checkpoints and One Checkout

Finished: Dead Mountain The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar by Donnie Eichar Donnie Eichar

message 50: by Ceroth (new)

Ceroth Paul | 18 comments Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie by Robert Leckie Robert Leckie
Final Tally: 140 pages
Total Time Read: approx. 2 1/2 hours
Total Books Read: 0
Total Books Progress: 1
Total Checkpoints: All six but I shouldn't have done one since I never read anything in that time period.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.