2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

A Christmas Carol
This topic is about A Christmas Carol
. Week 47: During Christmas > A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I've seen countless versions of this on TV, but like most things put on the screen, the focus is on the visual, so I'm sure a lot of the magic from Dickens' words was lost. That's why I want to read this!

I've read Dickens before and he has a lot of long descriptions, but as long as I'm not in a hurry those descriptions are actually very beautiful. I hope reading this book will let me learn something that I haven't learned from TV yet.

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments This story is beautiful. I have seen many TV versions too and I never get tired of it :) I hope you enjoy it.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) I love this movie!! I don't think I've found a version of it that I don't like, but I just can't seem to read Dickens. I get so lost in his wordy descriptions that sometimes I forget what I'm reading about! I do think that my favorite by him is a toss up between A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. Maybe now that I'm a little older i'll attempt to read some of his work again. :)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I've finished the book. It's actually really short (my copy's 93 pages long). It's not what I expected of Dickens since there aren't too many long descriptions in this one.

To be honest, I was a little bored for most of the book, but after the third ghost appeared I was really into it. I'd definitely recommend it.

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I think I'm going to read this as a side read at Christmas this year. The story is so familiar, but I really want to read the original story. I have to say, my favourite movie adaptation is Scrooged with Bill Murray. It's so incredibly 80s but I love it anyway.

message 6: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments I read this book once at school when we were doing it for our Christmas play and I remember enjoying it. I have to be honest though, the only movie adaptation I've ever watched (and continue to watch every Christmas) is the Muppets version!

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments Hahaha yes that's a nice version, I also like the Donald Duck version :-D try to guess who Scrooge is :-)

message 8: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Silvia wrote: "Hahaha yes that's a nice version, I also like the Donald Duck version :-D try to guess who Scrooge is :-)"

I think I lied before because I know I've seen that version too! Donald Duck was my favourite out of that Disney group!

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I loved the Donald Duck version. Oh, good times.

Stacey D.  | 73 comments I was amazed at how easy it was to read this well-known, oft-quoted tale, short as it was, though written in 1843. It just shows you how good literature and great writing can withstand the test of time. I want to read more by Dickens.