The Orion Team. discussion

OP-CENTER > New Military Thriller Author Josh Hood

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Steck (ryansteck) | 34 comments Hey guy,

Have any of you read Joshua Hood's debut novel Clear by Fire yet? It just came out last Tuesday (8/18/15) and is rocketing up the Amazon charts.

I was privileged to read this book early, and I can't recommend it enough. It has it all! A compelling protagonist in Mason Kane, an awesome heroine in Renee Hart, and multiple bad guys that I can't stand.

I'd love to hear what others think about this book!

message 2: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments I'd like to know what the fans want to see in the next book.

message 3: by Danield (new)

Danield | 33 comments Hey
I'm just reading Clear by Fire (half through)
My first comment(s) one the best I've ever read( it comes in a row with Brad Taylor and nearby I'm Pilgrim )
What I'd like to see in the next book ,if it goes with Clear by Fire then I personally think that the goal is achieved
All the best from Luxembourg
Daniel

message 4: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments Danield,

Thanks so much for reading my book! Clear by Fire is the beginning of a new series, the second book comes out next July.

I really hope you enjoy it, and would love to hear what else you think once you've finished it.

message 5: by Danield (new)

Danield | 33 comments Hi everybody
Joshua Hood Clear by Fire
A new player enters the elite military thriller genre-Joshua Hood with his first book Clear by Fire.
Reading Dalton Fury,Scott McEwen,Brad Taylor,Tom Young,Andrew Peterson,Marc Cameron,Marc Greaney,Alex Berenson,Brad Thor,Daniel Silva...I thought that nothing new could surprise me easily but Joshua Hood brought my reading to a new level.I surprised myself by ducking away or looking over my shoulder but he did that to me and that through out the book.It's not only fascinating with suspense even sometimes a bit of well placed humor but I found myself standing next to Mason Kane urging him what to do next... and this was not funny because the guy won't listen to me
Until July 2016 I hope to have recuperated from this fascinating rollercoaster.The rollercoaster fair is just opening in Luxembourg but that can't be worse.But already now I'm missing the new team in the game
All the best from Luxembourg and keep on rolling
Daniel

message 6: by Samuel , Director (last edited Aug 23, 2015 09:33PM) (new)

Samuel  | 4692 comments Mod
Decided to get it for my kindle app after all (it updated, seems to be running smoother on my tablet now). I'm busy though but will find a time to read it. And then review it.

message 7: by Danield (new)

Danield | 33 comments Ryan
Thanks for pointing me out to Clear by Fire
As I wrote in my comments a bit above it's one of the best I've read in years
A bit more brutal than others but sometimes it's the only way to handle nasty things.I do not know whether you have read Peter Teleps's new book about the Corps it's worth a try.
Europe says thanks to the Marines on the Amsterdam-Paris train.The nut would certainly have done a massacre,thanks to those guys and listening to their interviews-they only did their job nothing less nothing more,hope the Corpse comes more to Europe spending their hiolidays.
Greetings from Luxembourg /Daniel

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

What a great book! Congrats to the author! Beats the heavy authors out there by far!

message 9: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments Glad you liked it. Means a lot.

message 10: by J.B. (new)

J.B. (goodreadscomjbmorrisauthor) This book is worth a try. Looking forward to it.

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Steck (ryansteck) | 34 comments J.B. wrote: "This book is worth a try. Looking forward to it."

It's had nothing but really good reviews on Amazon, etc. I loved it! Let me know what you think about it!

message 12: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Steck (ryansteck) | 34 comments Pedro wrote: "What a great book! Congrats to the author! Beats the heavy authors out there by far!"

I agree. Hood's style is very fresh! One of my favorite authors, I can't to read his future works!

message 13: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Steck (ryansteck) | 34 comments Danield wrote: "Hey
I'm just reading Clear by Fire (half through)
My first comment(s) one the best I've ever read( it comes in a row with Brad Taylor and nearby I'm Pilgrim )
What I'd like to see in the next book..."

Book two is out next July! I agree with everything you said. This is one of the best debut novels in LONG time.

message 14: by Danield (new)

Danield | 33 comments Ryan and to whom it may appeal
Thanks but if you have time in between I would suggest giving
Peter Telep and Steven Konkoly a try.In my opinion Steven puts combats to a new level cause very well explained.Peter shows what's possible people can achieve if they trust each other even in some very nasty situation.Being to it I have a question having all the books of Joel Rosenberg I generally put them away in mid reading,but I finish them all and by the end they all get 5 stars , but and this is my opinion, I sometimes get the feeling that Joel Rosenberg preaches to much the WORD and coming from a country where everybody does and thinks what he wants,all within the law,we directly think that somebody wants to
"turn as around"(we are about 99%cath non going to church) it's perhaps a bit too private but opinions would be much appriciated
Thanks and best regards from Luxembourg(Europe)
Daniel

message 15: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments I'd like to thank everyone who has taken the time to read Clear by Fire. I really appreciate the feedback.

message 16: by Samuel , Director (new)

book 2 is ready for pre-ordering. I've seen the cover art. The theme has had subtle improvements, but retains its consistency which I like a lot. Sadly Amazon hasn't put it up yet but trust me, it's even more gritty than Clear By Fire's cover.
http://www.amazon.com/Warning-Order-S...

message 17: by Samuel , Director (new)

Product Description is now up.
The game continues. New friends and new threats await Mason Renee and Zeus in Warning Order.

"In the next adventure in the explosive Search and Destroy thriller series, American hero Mason Kane must join forces with the CIA to neutralize a Syrian spy and his band of jihadists and dismantle a conspiracy that reaches the upper echelons of the White House.

After foiling a terror plot from within the US military, American soldier Mason Kane has struck a deal with the CIA to take him off the government’s blacklist in exchange for leading off-the-books counter-espionage raids.

But when an old friend is led into a trap by a supposed Syrian ally, Mason seeks revenge, only to uncover a greater plot involving a tyrannical Middle Eastern despot and a group of rogue American soldiers with a dubious agenda—who seem to be taking orders directly from the President’s inner circle. With the help of Special Operations operative Renee Hart and a team of elite special ops soldiers, Mason must discover the traitors and neutralize the target before time runs out."

Set in the shadows of the War on Terror and inspired by Joshua Hood’s own military experience, Warning Order is an action-packed thriller full of shocking twists and nonstop adventure that takes you straight into the world of special ops, military intelligence, and espionage.

message 18: by Sean (new)

Sean Peters | 6 comments Clear by Fire (Search and Destroy, #1) by Joshua Hood

Joshua Hood, firstly thank you so much for sending a signed copy of your debut book and oh what a start!

Debut author, Joshua Hood, isn’t just a solid writer, he’s former 82nd Airborne and now a full time SWAT team member.

Clear by Fire is a blistering new military thriller about an American hero who, in order to clear his name, must take down a highly classified band of soldiers that has gone murderously rogue.

Mason Kane was a loyal American soldier and a proud member of the elite, off-the-books Anvil Program—a group of black ops soldiers who wage war from the shadows. But all that changed when his commander, as a part of a twisted scheme to force America’s continued involvement in the Middle East, ordered an innocent Afghan family murdered. Refusing the order, Mason finds himself on the run, hunted by his former comrades and labeled a terrorist by the country he served faithfully. Relying only on his survival skills and the help of female Special Operations operative Renee Hart, Kane must embark on his gravest mission yet: unraveling the conspiracy that reaches all way to the President’s inner circle and stopping the world’s most dangerous soldiers from completing their treacherous plan.

A highly realistic narrative that puts you in the middle of the action with Hood capturing the full effect of cordite detonation, smells of vengeful death, and the unbroken bonds of camaraderie in combat.

Set in the shadows of the War on Terror, this realistic, action-packed adventure puts a twist in the traditional military thriller and starts a brand-new series, and now eagerly awaiting the chapter in Mason's life.

If you enjoy authors such as Brad Thor, Lee Childs, Tom Wood,Ben Coes and David Baldacci and Chris Ryan, you're going to love Joshua Hood. Scot Harvath, Jack Reacher, Mitch Rapp, Victor, Dewey Andreas, Will Robie and Geordia Sharp have a new contemporary in Mason Kane and let's not forget the great Renee Hart.

A exciting, fast paced , action packed, character filled, brutal rollercoaster ride

Five stars , a great debut novel

message 19: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments Thanks Sean, much appreciated. Are you ready for the ARC of Warning Order?

message 20: by Samuel , Director (new)

Finally gotten around to writing up the (items) now that I'm on the home stretch and with the writers block that came over me in South East Asia, I'm feeling confident that I will have the (items) done. Might take awhile though, due to item 2, which will require me to re-read the story a few more times just to be sure I didn't miss anything important. Also, I want to ensure the first item is my masterpiece, a fine book deserves an equally fine review after all. So I'm taking extra care with the editing and what not. But now it's not a question of if but when.

message 21: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments Much obliged

message 22: by Samuel , Director (last edited Feb 10, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Joshua wrote: "Much obliged"

Thanks. My succinct verdict is as follows:

"Warning Order" is quite possibly the best crafted military thriller of 2016, a blood soaked masterpiece par excellence that I doubt Mr Hood's peers or competition have a hope in hell of topping.

message 23: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments Wow. Well time will tell. It's going up against some HEAVY hitters

message 24: by Samuel , Director (new)

The more in-depth/best praise is yet to come. I'll get back to that now.

message 25: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments Can't wait. Thank you

message 26: by J.T. (new)

J.T. Patten (jtpattenbooks) | 70 comments Going up against heavy hitters, but you're bringing an A-game writing arm.

message 27: by Samuel , Director (new)

Clear By Fire mass market paperback is coming out about now?Get it anyway, there's no time to waste!
http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Fire-Sear...

message 28: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Clear By Fire mass market paperback is coming out about now?Get it anyway, there's no time to waste!
http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Fire-Sear......"

Oh.....we've run out of time. Not to worry, get the paperback! Unlike hardcover, they're pocket sized!

message 29: by Samuel , Director (new)

A review of "Warning Order" by group member Ryan. Less spoilers than my own, but it gives some very good reasons why you should buy this book when it comes out. For starters, this novel will be one of the biggest surprises of 2016. Competent but damaged heroes fighting for their lives in a cruel world, plotting which focuses on the most pressing moral question of the post 9/11 era (something which no other recent author in the counter-terrorist thriller subgenre has had the guts to try explore ), and a villain who metaphorically and quite possibly literally butchers the competition.
http://therealbookspy.com/2016/04/01/...

message 30: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Clear By Fire mass market paperback is coming out about now?Get it anyway, there's no time to waste!

Can't beat 1.99. Can't even buy a beer for that price.

message 31: by Mac_dickenson (new)

Mac_dickenson | 39 comments Joshua wrote: "Wow. Well time will tell. It's going up against some HEAVY hitters"

Reading "Clear By Fire" now. I'm about a third of the way through--and I've got to say--this new kid Hood is punching WAY above his weight-class. The heavy hitters better not be half-steppin' or they're gonna get mauled by Joshuaaaa "The Jackhammer" Hoooooodd! (Sorry, I'm a fight fan...)

Seriously, in terms of style, writing ability, and storytelling, Joshua Hood rates as good as anyone else in the genre. There are some big names I won't read because I can't get into the writng, and it's not for lack of trying. At less than half way through Clear By Fire I'm already looking forward to Warning Order.

Bravo, sir!

message 32: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments I sincerely appreciate the kind words.

message 33: by Mac_dickenson (new)

Mac_dickenson | 39 comments Joshua wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Clear By Fire mass market paperback is coming out about now?Get it anyway, there's no time to waste!

For another $2.99 there's an AUDIBLE upgrade, which is a friggin' steal! Can't remember the voice actor's name, but he does a bang-up job. Offering both the ebook and audio book together, for less than the cost of a mass market paperback, was a great idea.

message 34: by Mac_dickenson (new)

Mac_dickenson | 39 comments Joshua wrote: "I'd like to know what the fans want to see in the next book."

I'm thinking tailored suits and an exotic concept car with a bunch of gadgets, weapons, and a built-in juicer for making protein shakes. In stealth mode the super car looks like a thoroughly unremarkable F-150 driven by military personnel, civilians, and jihadists alike. (or just do your thing and don't listen to me...)

message 35: by Mac_dickenson (new)

Mac_dickenson | 39 comments Joshua wrote: "I sincerely appreciate the kind words."

I finished it about a week ago. It's a great read! You definitely bring something fresh and compelling to the table. I'm definitely down to read WARNING ORDER when it comes out!

Warning Order

message 36: by Samuel , Director (new)

Mac_dickenson wrote: "Joshua wrote: "I sincerely appreciate the kind words."

I finished it about a week ago. It's a great read! You definitely bring something fresh and compelling to the table. I'm definitely down to r..."

You will love Warning Order. Takes everything great about Clear By Fire and sharpens it into something very cutting.
It's a mature portrait of where we in the west are at in the war on terror and focuses on the most important issue in contemporary counter-terrorism, albeit one which managed to slip under the noses of almost every author in the genre.

The three musketeers are still badass as ever (especially in the blood splattered opening, one of the best you'll see this year)
And the villain is genuinely terrifying. Had me looking over my shoulder, which is something I can't say for 98% of fictional Islamic extremists I come across in my thriller novel reading.

message 37: by Samuel , Director (new)

Ready to buy.....on ebook.

http://www.amazon.com/Warning-Order-S...

message 38: by Mac_dickenson (new)

Mac_dickenson | 39 comments I've got my copy at the ready. I liked the Audible version so much that I want to wait until that's available to start it.

message 39: by Samuel , Director (new)

Mac_dickenson wrote: "I've got my copy at the ready. I liked the Audible version so much that I want to wait until that's available to start it."

Hey man, are there any benefits of audio books in comparison to tablets and physical copies? Just curious because while I'll probably never get one due to the price, I hear a lot of praise of the audio book format from other readers on this site.

message 40: by Mac_dickenson (new)

Mac_dickenson | 39 comments Samuel wrote: "Mac_dickenson wrote: "I've got my copy at the ready. I liked the Audible version so much that I want to wait until that's available to start it."

Hey man, are there any benefits of audio books in ..."

When I bought CLEAR BY FIRE Amazon asked me if I'd like to add the Audible option for an additional $2.99 (+ $1.99 for the ebook = $4.99 altogether). It was a good deal so I did it.

One nice feature about Audible is any time you switch from listening to reading, or vice versa, it picks up wherever you leave off.

If I want to look up a word or see a photo of something mentioned in the story, for example a weapon I'm not familiar with or a landmark I want to see, I can highlight it on the screen and look it up on the internet.

Whether or not one format has an advantage over another is something you'd have to determine yourself.

message 41: by Samuel , Director (new)

Mac_dickenson wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Mac_dickenson wrote: "I've got my copy at the ready. I liked the Audible version so much that I want to wait until that's available to start it."

Hey man, are there any benefits of ..."

I see, thanks.

message 42: by Mac_dickenson (new)

Mac_dickenson | 39 comments My thoughts wander when I'm reading and I fall asleep when listening to audio books, but if I read and listen simultaneously I get through books faster. So that's a nice option for me.

message 43: by Samuel , Director (new)

Okay. And it's not like a internet podcast where you need a connection or any such set-up like that yes?

message 44: by Samuel , Director (last edited Jun 11, 2016 10:30PM) (new)

A question, as of June, with the ebook released, how many people here have read Warning Order?
Speaking of which, Joshua has hit a full five star overall rating as of now.

https://www.amazon.com/Warning-Order-...

message 45: by Mac_dickenson (new)

Mac_dickenson | 39 comments Samuel wrote: "Okay. And it's not like a internet podcast where you need a connection or any such set-up like that yes?"

Once the file is on your device, no.

message 46: by Samuel , Director (new)

Joshua wrote: "I'd like to know what the fans want to see in the next book."

Hi Joshua, to answer this question, what I would like to see in book 3, is Sec Def Cage keeping his moral ambiguity, rather than completely devolving into a straight up villain.

That dark moral shade of gray which he inhabits is what makes him such a compelling character. One doesn't know whether to cheer him on with the grand geopolitical project he's running, or to wish Mason and Renee catch up to him, with guns locked and loaded.

message 47: by Samuel , Director (new)

Hardcover is out today. Or Tomorrow. Or in several hours time.
Point, is, it would make a lovely addition to any bookshelf. A very gritty blue dust jacket for starters.....
https://www.amazon.com/Warning-Order-...

message 48: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Hardcover is out today. Or Tomorrow. Or in several hours time.
Point, is, it would make a lovely addition to any bookshelf. A very gritty blue dust jacket for starters.....
https://www.amazon.com/..."

And it's publishing day for the hardback.
Perhaps I'll assemble that review tomorrow. Don't want to spoil the good stuff before people have had a chance to read it.

message 49: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hood | 161 comments Thanks Samuel