SF/F Read Alongs discussion

Last First Snow (Craft Sequence, #4)
This topic is about Last First Snow
Read Alongs > Last First Snow

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anya, Dragonmaster (last edited Sep 13, 2015 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anya (starsanddragons) | 155 comments Mod
Time to read Last First Snow! When do we want to start? I'll find my copy and break it into our typical length sections sometime soon and update this post.

Week 1: Ch. 1-16 (page 99) Sept. 14th - Lisa
Week 2: 17-37 (page 202) Sept. 21st - Anya
Week 3: 38-53 (page 303) Sept. 28th - Anya
Week 4: 54-End (page 382) Oct. 5th - Allie

Lisa (deargeekplace) | 549 comments Mod
Post-August sounds good to me too. ;-)

Allison (tethys) | 84 comments September sounds good to me, too!

Wendy (nightxade) | 12 comments September sounds good.

message 5: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Do we want to start right away the first week?

Allison (tethys) | 84 comments As in, plan for the first post for Sept. 7?

message 7: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah that sounds good, I'll make up the schedule

message 8: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

We'll miss you!

Who wants to host? I'll pull out my book and make sections tonight, probably four again?

message 9: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

So the last section will be a little shorter but that tends to work out well since there is more to discuss. I'm happy to host one of the middle weeks since I should be leading a mostly sane life during that time, but I might duck out at the end for wedding!

Allison (tethys) | 84 comments I should have time to read and post, but I don't think I'll be able to host this time. I have 2 weddings and a conference coming up during this read-along :). If there are not enough hosts, then I might be able to for the 28th.

message 11: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sounds good!

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can host if need be, no preference of week. :)

message 13: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

So do we want to start on the 14th?

message 14: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

I put a possible schedule up there if we do start on the 14th. I can jump in another week but not the 5th since I'll be getting married ;-). Allie would you want to do the 5th and I can do the 28th?

Allison (tethys) | 84 comments 14th-start is good for me, too. I hadn't finished reading the first section yet, so I was planning on a lot of reading today and tomorrow to be ready for the 7th :). I could host Oct. 5th. Also, congrats on your wedding!

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Looks good to me!

message 17: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yey sounds good! And thanks :D

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK, I'm going to put together a quick announcement blog post for this one while I'm up to my eyes in prep for various things anyway. Is this schedule right?

Week 1: Me
Week 2/3: Anya
Week 4: Allie

Mogsy (MMOGC) (mmogc) | 40 comments Sorry for not checking in sooner, this month has been kind of crazy. I'm actually going to be pretty busy for the rest of the month with possible trips out of town so I actually hope I can still read along. The difficult thing about this situation is that I don't know when those trips might be, which is frustrating. Anyway, if it turns out I have to bow out, I certainly don't want to put anyone out in case something in my schedule changes, so I can't commit to hosting.

But Anya, huge congrats though! When's the wedding? So awesome!

message 20: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yup that schedule looks good!

Completely understandable Mogsy! I hope you can join us and thank you!!!

message 21: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yup that schedule looks good!

Completely understandable Mogsy! I hope you can join us and thank you!!!

message 22: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

The wedding is oct 9th :D

message 23: by S.L. (new) - added it

S.L. Cooper (dovelynn) | 53 comments Congratulations on the wedding, Anya! <3

And I'm sorry for not checking in with this thread sooner. I feel bad about having to bow out this time. I've had so much fun with the previous book discussions, but I'm just not in the right headspace right now. :( I'm really sorry!

message 24: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

No worries Lynn, it happens!

message 25: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Week 1 questions will go up a bit later today! Sorry for the lateness - kind of sort of forgot I was hosting first this time... *Hangs head*

message 26: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK! Here are my questions for the first round (sorry again for being so late!)...

1) We have an impressive few recurring characters (though, are they recurring if this is a prequel...?) with Temoc, Elayne Kevarian and the Red King leading this story. Given what we've been shown of them before, what are your thoughts on them now, as they relate to this story so far?

2) While we're on the subject of characters, I'd like to give a nod to one new face - 'the Major', whom evidence so far suggests is a possible antagonist in this story. Do you agree with that, or might there be something more complicated in the works where he's concerned?

3) ... And speaking of complications, we also get some rather interesting scenes with Temoc's family - his wife Mina, and a much younger Caleb than we met previously in Two Serpents Rise. How might their appearances lead to thickening the plot(s), do you think?

4) Lastly, we end this section of the book with a near-catastrophe of the Red King's (accidental?) making, before their peace talks have even really begun. Add to this the fact that Ms Kevarian is not at all used to handling such matters from ground level, as it were... Do you think her efforts to negotiate peace without the use of force are going to pay off?

message 27: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oops, sorry I didn't remind you!

Here's a banner everyone is welcome to use!

http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings....

message 28: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hey everyone, my response will be up at http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.... after 7am EST! I'll be getting the questions up for next week pretty early also since that way I can schedule ahead ;-)

message 29: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anya wrote: "Oops, sorry I didn't remind you!

Here's a banner everyone is welcome to use!

http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings...."

Yay, banners! :)

That reminds me - no rush on it, but could I trouble you to maybe put one of these together for the Small Angry Planet read along in November?

message 31: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Questions for this week:

1. We've gotten glimpses of the two sides to the Skittersill situation. Gladstone is once again using his fantasy world to discuss interesting social issues. What do you think of the arguments on each side and the solution they came to?

2. Temoc is experiencing a lot of conflict over his roles of father/husband and leader of the rebellion. Do you think he's making the right decisions? What do you think you'd do in his place?

3. Who do you think tried to assassinate Tan Batac? Any theories as to their purpose or affiliation?

4. What do you think Elayne's going to do next to try to fix this quickly snow-balling situation?

As usual, feel free to discuss things that I didn't remember to put in a question ;-).

Allison (tethys) | 84 comments Finally put up my Week 1 post: http://tethyanbooks.blogspot.it/2015/... Week 2 should be on time!

message 33: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yey!

message 34: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

My Week 2 post is up! Sorry it's so late...

http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/201...

message 35: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hey everyone, just realized I never posted my answers for last week, oops! http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings....

Questions for this week:
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

My week three is here: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings....

So excited to finish this one!

message 38: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here's my Week 3 post: http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/201...

So many questions! ;-)

message 39: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Did you all see the cover for the next book and that Tara is going to be in it?? :D https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Allie are you able to do questions this week still?

message 40: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

I did see that! Can't wait. :D

And my post will likely not go up until Monday in any case, as I'm off to see Macbeth tomorrow afternoon!

Allison (tethys) | 84 comments Yeah, I saw that, looks exciting! And yes, I have this week's questions now, in the spoiler tags. Sorry for the slight delay:

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks Allie!

I won't be putting up a post this week all, sorry, just got news that I'll be going to a funeral right after the wedding so I'm just not feeling up to expressing the love that that ending deserves. It's been fun reading this series with you all though!

message 43: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aw, no. Sorry to hear that, Anya! *Hugs*

But this was tremendous fun, I agree. Here's my final post:

overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/2015/10/re...

Allison (tethys) | 84 comments I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Anya. It's been fun reading with you too!