What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mirror Image
This topic is about Mirror Image
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-fi novel about meeting alien shapeshifters [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RSmith (new)

RSmith | 4 comments There was a book I remember reading as a teenager from the 80's, I believe. It was a sci-fi book about first contact with an alien species that appeared as perfect human specimens. Something goes awry, and they change to monstrous figures, then attack.

The cover had a beautiful, tanned woman who was in the process of transforming into a monster with tentacles.

I've searched and searched for this novel but I've never been able to find it.

message 2: by RSmith (new)

RSmith | 4 comments No one? :(

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod

Maybe not.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Probably not...

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Aug 27, 2015 06:40PM) (new)

Mirror Image

Description sounds promising:

If an alien creature can so perfectly imitate a human being that not only is it physically and mentally indistinguishable from a man but it actually believes itself to be one, what do you do with it? Is it human?
This is the question which confronts Alex Stordahl, supervisor of the harsh planet Marilyn. Initially nobody had suspected anything unusual about the largely reptilian animal life. Then Stordahl discovered the amorphs - shapeless in their natural state, but possessing a unique defence mechanism: when closely approached by a possible aggressor, they could adopt the form least likely to be attacked by the creature.

When it transpires that the creatures are harmless they are quickly absorbed into the colony to provide extra labour. The the ruthless owner of the development corporation arrives from Earth. He wants to test the amorphs, and brings with him a group of four brilliant, but totally egotistical men. And trouble soon starts...

message 6: by RSmith (new)

RSmith | 4 comments Mirror Image, I think that's it! Thanks guys. I absolutely could not find that book.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Do you want to wait until you get a copy to confirm?

message 8: by RSmith (new)

RSmith | 4 comments Sure. I don't remember that cover but the story sounds like it's a match.

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments I love all these covers, LG.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

I know, I couldn't resist posting them even though they didn't exactly match.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
RSmith, please let us know when you are sure!

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Based on msg 6 I'm moving this to Solved. I don't think RSmith is coming back.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mirror Image (other topics)