#AYEARATHON discussion

September 2015 - Banned Books > September - To Be Read (TBR)

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ke-sha (last edited Aug 27, 2015 02:00AM) (new)

ke-sha (angel707) | 2018 comments Mod
Which Books are you planning on Reading?

Don't know which books I'm going to be reading exactly.
I think I'll Read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky & Brave New World by Aldous Huxley Whether they win or not, but don't hold me to it Lol

message 2: by Elizabeth (last edited Sep 05, 2015 11:08PM) (new)

Elizabeth I'm planning on reading Dracula by Bram Stoker because its been a while since I've read it.it has 653 pages as an Apple IBOOK

message 3: by Rebecca Jane (new)

Rebecca Jane (bec3sjhdbzljldsgwsm) | 48 comments I'll probably read Half-Blood Prince :)

message 4: by Alyson (new)

Alyson {Error Nebula} (thecommonalyson) | 3 comments I have quite the TBR for September because my library is on break:
The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) by Rick Riordan The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan
And some books I hope to read from my shelf/ Kindle:
The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1) by Rachel Morgan Rain (Paper Gods, #2) by Amanda Sun

message 5: by Mathilde (new)

Mathilde Andersen | 1 comments I will probably read Fahrenheit 451 even if it doesn't win the poll. And then afterwards I will read the graphic novel version because I have to take it back to the library early in the month.. I don't really know what else to read yet :)

message 6: by Caletha (new)

Caletha (lalacartoonz) | 2 comments idk what to read first forbidden books are the best

message 7: by Beni (new)

Beni | 6 comments harry potter and Percy Jackson books for me :)

message 8: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (gondorianjedi) | 91 comments I have Brave New World by Aldous Huxley on my Kindle so i'll probably read that, and i'm going to use this opportunity to reread some Harry Potter - probably Order of the Phoenix because that's where I got up to last time I decided to reread the series.

message 9: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (psanchez820) I'll probably still be finishing Dracula, then move on to The Giver, and if I finish it then I'll read Animal Farm. :)

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Tattersall (mothgender) I'll be reading The Kite Runner, Frankenstein, and if I still have time I'll reread Dracula.

message 11: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Detweiler | 1 comments I plan on reading To Kill A Mockingbird and then probably a Percy Jackson Book

message 12: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) | 90 comments This time I really want to actively participate. Drop everything else and just go for it. I am still not sure what I will read. The topic is not the best for me this time though, because I am under a lot of stress right now and would rather read something light than heavy, but I will try to stick to the theme anyway.

I will probably go for 1984, since I want to read it anyway and it's a group read. I want to read Lolita and American Psycho for a long long time, but I think reading all these at the same time would be a bit too much. I am also thinking about Anne Frank's Diary. We'll see.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for 'lighter' banned books along the lines of Harry Potter and Perks of Being a Wallflower? I know that the Perks deals with some heavier topics, but it still reads very quickly and easily.

message 13: by Lorien (new)

Lorien (lorienkittybooks) | 188 comments As none of the chosen books interest me, I think I'm going to go with Bridge to Terabithia, and either participate in the Twilight read-a-long hosted by Books-And-Cookies on Tumblr, or maybe reread Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

message 14: by Ms Bridget (new)

Ms Bridget (obridget2) I don't have a TBR but if I don't finish The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg before the end of August, then I will continue on to that..The rest, I will just wing it, as I always do. :-)

message 15: by Rebecca Jane (new)

Rebecca Jane (bec3sjhdbzljldsgwsm) | 48 comments Ana wrote: "This time I really want to actively participate. Drop everything else and just go for it. I am still not sure what I will read. The topic is not the best for me this time though, because I am under..."

Maybe Alice's Adventures in Wonderland...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

It's been so long since I've read 1984 so I am going to take this chance to re-read it.

If I have the time I'll try and get through the Giver as well.

message 17: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) | 90 comments Bec ♥ Live for the ones you love ♥ wrote: "Maybe Alice's Adventures in Wonderland... "

Thanks! It seems to me like a good choice. :)

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Question when is it, because I forgot to write it down on my read a thon calendar.

message 19: by Ana (last edited Aug 29, 2015 12:20PM) (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) | 90 comments 7.-13. of September. All the dates are on the front page if you need info for the other months. :)

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Ana wrote: "7.-13. of September. All the dates are on the front page if you need info for the other months. :)"

Thinks for answering my question

message 21: by Erika (new)

Erika | 42 comments I'm going to be participating in Bookish September which is basically just a challenge to read lots and lots in September which will help me through my giant ever growing tbr.

I'd like to read The Giversince I've owned twice in my life and have never read it.
I made myself a little list of Banned Books I own so I can pull from those as I make my way around my tbr during the week of the read a thon :) I've never understood why censorship and banning is necessary but it sure does make a fun theme ;)

message 22: by Lara (new)

Lara (laraiswrite) | 100 comments Wow, I really procrastinated about this this month. Haha. So I just got my TBR all put together. Since I love the banned books theme, I'm going to be sticking to it for the entire month. Its a pleasant variety of reads I've put together, I think. =p Here it is:

Harry Potter The Complete Series by J.K. Rowling The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway White Fang by Jack London One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer Hamlet by William Shakespeare Oz The Complete Collection by L. Frank Baum Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-5 + short story) by Douglas Adams

This is probably more than I'll ever be able to read in one month (especially with the Harry Potter books, haha) but I mainly made the list this big so I would have a nice variety to choose from. I've already read the first Harry Potter book this year, so I'm just going to be picking up at number two. If I can get at least 3 of any of these read during the readathon I'll be very happy. =p Now to pick one to start off the month. Haha.

message 23: by dobi01 (new)

dobi01 | 2 comments I'll be finishing The Host and I'll read Red Moon by Benjamin Percy, Across the Universe by Beth Revis and The Titan's curse.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 6 comments All three are great picks. I would read all three but I'm leery on 1984. I remember having a hard time with that one in school. I might give it a try now that its not mandatory that I read it. The Giver was a favorite from my school reading.

message 25: by A (new)

A | 18 comments Time After Time (Time Between Us, #2) by Tamara Ireland Stone I plan on finishing Time after Time at the start of this month. I want to read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

message 26: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (gondorianjedi) | 91 comments I'm adding Catching Fire to my tbr because I picked it up today to re-read, and I checked and it's on the goodreads list of banned books.

message 27: by Melissa (last edited Sep 04, 2015 08:45PM) (new)

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 123 comments I have a ton of books on my TBR for September, I have already read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis so I'm modifying the ban and putting it on his other book The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis and if I can get to it The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher

I've read a few banned books last month and so I think I'm only going to focus on those two books.

Good luck everyone.

message 28: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairescragglepine) | 63 comments I'll be reading Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

message 29: by Rebecca Jane (new)

Rebecca Jane (bec3sjhdbzljldsgwsm) | 48 comments I finished Half Blood Prince before I anticipated, so I'll be reading The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier :P

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) Based on the banned book list that I looked at, these are all possibilities that I own:
The Boyfriend List 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1) by E. Lockhart The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder

Plus Harry Potter of course, which I've been slowly trying to reread this year. I am in the middle of Queen of Shadows right now, so I'll be happy if I get through even one other book this week!

message 31: by ke-sha (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I'm planning on reading Dracula by Bram Stokerbecause its been a while since I've read it.it has 653 pages as an Apple IBOOK"

I was about to say maybe I need to check to make sure I don't have an abridged version of Dracula Lol but I've noticed that ebooks somtimes have a bigger page count.

message 32: by ke-sha (new)

Bec ♥ Live for the ones you love ♥ wrote: "I finished Half Blood Prince before I anticipated, so I'll be reading The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier :P"

Bec ♥ Live for the ones you love ♥ wrote: "I'll probably read Half-Blood Prince :)"

Aww The Lies of Locke Lamora, I've been wanting to read that book while simultaneously trying not to start new series so I can finish the ones I've already started. #TheStruggleIsReal Lol

Hadn't heard about Rebecca until now but it sounds interesting.

Happy Reading :)

message 33: by ke-sha (new)

Alyson wrote: "I have quite the TBR for September because my library is on break:
The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) by Rick Riordan [bookcov..."

Your Library is on break? Don't think I've heard of such a thing before.

But Yay, Rick Riordan always a Pleasure to read. I can't wait for his new series, but I need The Blood Of Olympus first. I just don't want it to end *Sobs Uncontrollably*

Hope you're able to get to all your books this week.

message 34: by ke-sha (new)

Mathilde wrote: "I will probably read Fahrenheit 451 even if it doesn't win the poll. And then afterwards I will read the graphic novel version because I have to take it back to the library early in the month.. I d..."

Well You don't have to follow the theme if you don't want to. As long as your reading :)

Enjoy Fahrenheit 451, I need to read that as well I got a free copy from the Library once and never read it.

Ooo, I swear a lot of books seem to be getting a Graphic Novel version lately. I hope that you like both of them. I look forward to seeing if you think the graphic novel is worth reading.

message 35: by ke-sha (new)

Caletha wrote: "idk what to read first forbidden books are the best"

Lol the sure fire way to make somebody interested in something is to say it's forbidden Lol

Have you decided on a book to read?

message 36: by ke-sha (new)

Beni wrote: "harry potter and Percy Jackson books for me :)"

YAY!!! Love both series.
Hope you enjoy them :)

message 37: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy Seitz (cookinggurl43) | 239 comments I have three books on my tbr but it's Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson, Nickel and Dimed, and Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

message 38: by Danae (new)

Danae (maybedanae) | 6 comments TBR: Shades of Doon*, The Kiss of Deception*, The Heart of Betrayal, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and The Princess Bride

*finished

message 39: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (psanchez820) I finished The Giver and Animal Farm, slowly working through a Lovecraft compilation (it's big so I only read it at home). So, I started Jazz by Toni Morrison :)