Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > Hey You!--2016 Update

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Yeah, you! The one over there poking about in the marketing folder, looking for advice on how to sell books. The one frantically wondering if your book needs more reviews. The one worrying that you're not doing this whole writing thing right. And the one sweating over whether or not that comma is in the right place.

All of you.

You're pretty awesome, you know that?

I know that at times things can be pretty overwhelming and it's tempting to look at the success of others as something to compare ourselves to. I know that sometimes it's tough to deal with the fact that there're people out there that we can't please. And I know that there are plenty of moments when keeping the negativity at bay is as difficult as draining the ocean with a bucket.

But you know what? You did something amazing. You wrote a book. You strung together words in a way that tells the world you have something to say and you were so confident that those words had meaning that you put them out for the whole world to see.

It doesn't matter if one person or one million people read those words. It doesn't matter if you are selling or not. You did something that not everyone can.

You created something.

Think about that for a moment.

People will say, "Anyone can write a book." Well sure, *anyone* can, but did they? Doesn't matter. You did. And you should be proud.

Remember that. Remember that when you get a bad review. Remember that when you aren't selling as much as you'd like. Remember that when you want to compare your success to that of someone else. And remember that when you're staring at a blank screen and wondering if you have it in you to do this again.

You are an Indie Author, and that is something to take pride in. :)

message 2: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) Christina wrote: "Yeah, you! The one over there poking about in the marketing folder, looking for advice on how to sell books. The one frantically wondering if your book needs more reviews. The one worrying that you..."

Amen Sister from another Mister. Thank You.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4270 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "You are an Indie Author, and that is something to take pride in. :) "

I am, right now, sitting in my favorite coffee shop wearing my coffee stained Indie author T-shirt working on Boo!, frantically trying to finish it before the end of this month. I have my business cards beside me and when I need to get up to do something, my screen saver comes up to advertise my wares.

And I'm feeling the pride. THIS is what I signed up for. The money, when it comes, is a bonus. The reviews, positive and negative, when they come, are a bonus. But, THIS -- the stringing of words and making sentences and sentences to paragraphs to books - this is what I signed up for.

I can echo what Christina said. I've read a lot of your books and you guys are good writers. I have not finished some of them and have not gotten around to writing reviews for some, but I have been reading. Other than my beloved Vonnegut, I have only been buying books from YOU, the Indie authors, because you guys are fantastic.

message 4: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Exactly! Now I'm six books in, and working on four more!

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Christina wrote: "Yeah, you! The one over there poking about in the marketing folder, looking for advice on how to sell books. The one frantically wondering if your book needs more reviews. The one worrying that you..."

So darn well said, Christina!

I think it goes well with this picture taken from Writer, Interrupted

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for those words. The struggle is real, but we gotta keep going and working. It is what makes it so worth it on a personal level.

message 7: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

G.G. wrote: "I think it goes well with this picture..."

I love that G.G.!

message 8: by G.G. (last edited Aug 20, 2015 01:22PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Dwayne wrote: "G.G. wrote: "I think it goes well with this picture..."

I love that G.G.!"

I wish I had written those words but the credit goes to the original poster on FB. (The link I added before the picture.)

message 9: by Christina (last edited Aug 20, 2015 01:29PM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I've seen that around Facebook too, GG, and I love it! That sums up being an author perfectly.

message 10: by Charles (new)

Charles | 148 comments It's not a zero-sum game. It's an endlessly reproducing pie, of which everyone can have a piece.

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) If you manage to finish a book, you're pretty awesome in general, no? Lots of peoples have stories to tell, most don't bother to ever write them.

message 12: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 239 comments There are two things in my life of which I am immensely proud:

1) I'm a college graduate.

2) I published a novel.

Yeah, the sales report discourages and depresses me from time to time, but you know what? Number 2 is still true, no matter what. I am a published author.

Hell yeah.

message 13: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) Aye, my goal is to finish my series and have a row of books that I wrote on my bookshelf when I'm done, whether I make significant money from them or not.

message 14: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Brilliant, Christina. Absolutely spot-on and brilliant.

message 15: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Higgins | 173 comments Thanks Christina. Just what I needed after a day of swearing at my laptop, then sulking, then typing three words, then deciding to place all my characters in a warehouse where a stray meteor tragically hits and kills them all. (At the time it seemed like a great idea) however after reading this message I will give it another go.

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (whatmatters) | 124 comments Christina wrote: Yeah, you! The one over there poking about in the marketing folder, looking for advice on how to sell books. The one frantically wondering if your book needs more reviews. The one worrying that you're not doing this whole writing thing right. And the one sweating over whether or not that comma is in the right place.

Thanks Christina. Encouragement is a good thing.

I know that marketing folder. I can’t tell you how many times Sisyphus and his fabled boulder crept into mind. The fun thing about writing is transforming the boulder.

message 17: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

V.M. wrote: "Drive-by comment: omg-you-guys-that's-what-this-group-is-all-about-don't-be-discouraged-remember-you're-not-alonnnnneeeeee!"

A wild V.M. appeared, his comment was super effective!

message 18: by Kennet (new)

Kennet Brown (httpwwwgoodreadskb) | 11 comments Christina wrote: "Yeah, you! The one over there poking about in the marketing folder, looking for advice on how to sell books. The one frantically wondering if your book needs more reviews. The one worrying that you..."

I have heard the saying that everyone has a book within them, and anyone can write a book. I have proven those saying is true. For many years I have been trying to write a book, and now I have written two, one on how to use the brain and mind creatively and more effectively, the other Jamaican and Caribbean Recipes. I still have a few more.

message 19: by John (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:03AM) (new)

John | 14 comments I told myself I was going to write a book. I would do it. Well some twenty years later I did, then another and working on a third.

I am super excited to see something go from my thoughts to a finished product I can hold in my hand. As others have said the money is a bonus. I know I did something I dreamed of for a long time and no one can take that away. Now I don't feel like I can stop. I got the writing bug.

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) That is fantastic, guys! If you have more stories then keep on writing! :)

message 21: by Charles (new)

Charles | 148 comments You da bomb, Christina!!

message 22: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) :}

Thanks! We're ALL da bomb!

Unless the givernment is reading this. In that case, no, none of us are da bomb. We are 100% bomb free.

;p

message 23: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (whatmatters) | 124 comments V.M. Dear CIA. Canadians are harmless. We only want maple syrup. All of this has been a big joke. Please don't come North. It's cold and there are bears.

Haha ...and ticks, and flies, and mosquitoes all with veravenous [veracious & ravenous] appetites.

message 24: by D.J. Wilde (new)

D.J. Wilde | 44 comments Wonderful post. Why aren't there like buttons here?

message 25: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Bynum (slbynum) | 26 comments Thanks for the words of encouragement, Christina! I hadn't thought of writing a book as much of an accomplishment, but it definitely is!

message 26: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

D.J. wrote: "Wonderful post. Why aren't there like buttons here?"

We're petitioning, but Amazon tends to ignore those.

message 27: by N.V. (new)

N.V. Smith (nvsmith) | 2 comments I agree! There should be like buttons. I published my first book to Amazon but I'm having trouble with the marketing. Marketing just isn't my strong suit but I guess if I plan on being a Indie author I going to have to get better at it. It gets a little frustrating at times but I love writing so much that I just keep hanging in there.

message 28: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Hey everyone! I am resurrecting this post because it seems that a lot of folks have felt discouraged as of late. Consider this your virtual hug, a pat on the back, or whatever you need to remind yourself that YOU ARE AMAZING.

As Ann noted in her recent message to the group, we are here to support you. To be a community of hope, not one of unsolicited criticisms and harsh truths. We understand fully that some days are going to br better than others, so if this just isn't your day, scroll up and read my original post. Then go hunt through the rest of the fun folder because seriously guys, this place is a goldmine of giggles and warm fuzzies. Even the get mad thread.

message 29: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments Triple quadruple heart love happy unicorn rainbows and HUGS!

message 30: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Mar 20, 2016 07:09AM) (new)

I'm going to comment and bump this thread back up. It's an important message and I'm glad Christina is resurrecting it.

I thought, too, I might share some tips on how I stay happy and positive on days I'm not seeing sales, reviews, etc. And, trust me, there are a lot of days like that.

* Remind myself that, hey, at least I'm living in a day and age where I can publish myself and I can get my work out there. It hasn't always been this easy.

* Remind myself that, as Riley says, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Okay, today was lousy. Yesterday was pathetic. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Or next week. Or next year.

* Remind myself of all the other ways I'm blessed. I have a loving wife, cute and fun dogs, a good job, a decent car, relatively healthy, all my fingers and toes, lots of coffee, comfortable sweat pants... ANYTHING! Chances are you're quite blessed, too. Never forget the good stuff in your life.

* If I'm forgetting why I decided to be a writer in the first place, I read favorite authors or reread some of my own work. (Yesterday I read some John Updike and Ernest Hemingway). I didn't get into this for the money, the reviews, the nitpicking over covers and blurbs... I got into this for the love of words, love of language, the chance to express myself as I wish.

* Get your mind off it. Go shopping. Go running. Take a drive. Hang out with the spouse, friends or family. Go indulge in a big, fancy dinner. Eat something exotic (I cooked alligator last night). Do anything but write. Do anything but promote. Do anything but obsess over your numbers or lack of them.

OR

*Write. Get back to doing what brought you here in the first place. Write something. Anything. Don't worry if it's not good enough for... shit. I'm sounding like Karen Carpenter. Well, you get the idea.

* As Christina suggested, browse the Fun folder and join in the wackiness.

message 31: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (whatmatters) | 124 comments This SIA community is very well balanced! imho

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Wait, wait...we're talking about bombs AND resurrections...what's next? Will there be a zombie comment? I could make that one, just in case the NSA is reading. Eh, if they are, maybe they'll write a book and stay out of our business. 8-) Authors are awesome. That's all there is to it. 8-)