Support for Indie Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments Please let me know what your experience has been.....

I released my debut novel on 6/24 through Amazon Select. I had no author platform set up, got excited that it was done, jumped the gun, and published.

All things considered, my first two months haven't been too shabby. In July, I sold an average of about 1.5 books per day, and had almost 37K pages read through KU.

I post on Twitter, I have a FB page, and I participate here on GR. That's pretty much it.

For yesterday and today, I've sold 0 copies and I've had 46 and 54 pages read, respectively. Until now, I haven't had a day under 100 pages since July 1st.

So I guess my question is, did you have a big drop in sales/borrows after two months? Could this just be an anomaly? What do you do to gear it back up?

I am currently working on the sequel, but it's going to take a me a few months to finish it. I've also only used 2 of my 5 free promo days. I can't do a countdown deal until my next Select period starts. Should I have a free day? I just don't know...

Any fresh ideas would be great!
Thanks, Wendi

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
That's just the nature of the beast. When you're new and shiny, you show up as new and shiny. But after a month or two, unless you really take off, the sales tend to drop off. Don't worry, just keep plugging away, and having fun writing!

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments Not an author but avid reader and chat with enough - you might just need to try and get a blog tour or something to pick up the slack now that the first flush rush has passed. A few spotlights and solid reviews to keep building readership while you write the sequel :)

message 4: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Hi, Wendi!

I think the best thing you can do to promote book #1 is to publish book #2. Publishing is definitely a numbers game. One book alone probably won't generate a lot of traffic, but several will.

Also, are you building a mailing list of readers who are interested in knowing when the sequel comes out? That's the key going forward. Do you have a website, where you can put your newsletter sign-up form? Building a mailing list of readers who want to read your other work is the cornerstone of book marketing, IMHO.

Book traffic sometimes goes up or down for no apparent reason. And then it changes again overnight. It's hard to predict.

April

message 5: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Also, do author interviews. I see bloggers posting invitations for authors to do interviews on their blogs. I've done that twice now. It's a lot of fun!!

message 6: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4270 comments Mod
Wendi wrote: "Please let me know what your experience has been..."

Yes. From mid-July to almost mid-August I had no sales. I have yet to see any activity on that weird little blue KENP line. But, I've picked up to about a sale every other day. So, yes, sometimes you'll see peaks and sometimes you'll see valleys.

message 7: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments I don't have a website other than my FB page and a my Wordpress blog. I signed up for mailchimp to start a mailing list, but I've only had 4 people sign up, including my husband, whom I signed up without his permission. haha

I did one interview that should appear on Monday. I've emailed several bloggers. Two showed some interest, but then I never heard back from them.

Courtney- I'll have to research blog tours. I'm not really sure what that entails, but I am not in a position to spend money yet. ;)

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tyree Wendi - Did I send you anything about interviewing on my blog yet? Check out alaynabellesmom.wordpress.com and email me if you want to do an author interview. I'll feature your answers, promote the post on twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. and just basically do my best to help you get the word out.

Hope to hear from you soon!

message 9: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments Ok, Elizabeth! Il'l check it out, thanks.

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments Blog tours are usually more about social networking than a paid service - like finding bloggers willing to read and review.

Usually doesn't cost anything but you need beat down a few doors :)

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments I had more of a sales stop, in that my book sold a few copies for a month or two then nothing since. I think a big part of the problem was that I published without establishing an author platform. I didn't create my blog, webpage, FB, GR page, etc until after I'd published. I also didn't have a clue how to advertise.

But since I've been working on getting myself out there more, my hope is that my next novel will do a little better, which hopefully will help my previous novel to do better.

message 12: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Melissa wrote: "I had more of a sales stop, in that my book sold a few copies for a month or two then nothing since. I think a big part of the problem was that I published without establishing an author platform. ..."

Melissa, those are really good points. I did the same thing - I published my first novel before I had established the basis for an author platform. I was so excited about finishing my book that I published before I'd done some of the things that would have helped me. I think that's just human nature; we're too excited to release our first book that we can't contain ourselves. I hope to do better when I release my second book.

Some people don't release any books until they have three of them ready to go, then they release them every couple or few months or so. That kind of timing will do wonders for your sales. I do NOT have the patience for that. :)

April

message 13: by Owen (last edited Aug 20, 2015 08:17PM) (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Wendy wrote: So I guess my question is, did you have a big drop in sales/borrows after two months? Could this just be an anomaly? What do you do to gear it back up?"

Melissa wrote: "I had more of a sales stop, in that my book sold a few copies for a month or two then nothing since. I think a big part of the problem was that I published without establishing an author platform. ..."

This is not an anomaly and it's not a result of anything you failed to do. An author platform takes a long time to build and be effective, usually several years and a number of books. Realistically, it's next to impossible to build a platform on the foundation of one book.

What you are seeing is the effect of Amazon's new release cycle. Amazon has 30-day new release lists and 90-day new release lists. For the first 30 days, our books get visibility from the 30-day lists and after that a lower, but still significant, degree of visibility from the 90-day lists.

After 90 days, a book is no longer a new release and gets visibility from other sources (searches, "also viewed/bought" lists, and whatever we try to do).

So you are not doing anything "wrong". That's just how things work. As April mentions, you can hold off publishing until you have 3 or 4 books ready to go, and then release them ever 3 to 4 months to keep a book on the new release list. This is really the only strategy that appears to have a decent chance of success for a new author, and it will allow a platform to be built much more quickly.

But as April also says, it's hard to be that patient.

message 14: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments Thanks everyone. I think I just had a bad couple of days. The day after initially posted this, I had a sale and nearly 1800 pages read. It's leveled out to about 800-900 pages a day since then, which has been my norm lately.

Now I have the opposite issue- I have had more copies purchased today than usual. The whiplash is gonna kill me!!

I tried googling my title to see if it got mentioned in a blog or something, but I couldn't find anything from today or yesterday.
Gah, I just need to stop checking my sales. (But I can't! LOL)

message 15: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Wendi, the whiplash is real. I've experienced the same thing. Everything is going along fine, and them whammy! But if you wait a bit, traffic picks back up and everything is back to normal. I think it's just a thing we have to get used to. Watching your book stats will drive you crazy. (I know - I'm dealing with this, too.)

message 16: by John (new)

John Jones (johnijones) | 14 comments Hi Wendi:
You say you had a sale. Did you sell for book for .99?
What was your sale price?
Thanks!!
John

message 17: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments John I wrote: "Hi Wendi:
You say you had a sale. Did you sell for book for .99?
What was your sale price?
Thanks!!
John"

No, John, my book is $2.99. What I meant by "a sale" was that I had 1 book ordered that day. Sorry for the confusion.

message 18: by John (new)

John Jones (johnijones) | 14 comments Hi:
My books have fallen victim to the same syndrome.
In July, my new romance novel sold 55 copies and have 1100 rentals.
Then suddenly there was nothing. Nothing changed. I was doing all the same promotions but there were no sales. Weird!
Lots of authors of FB say their sales increase when they start selling their books for .99.
Has anyone had any experience with that?
John

message 19: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) John I wrote: "Hi:
My books have fallen victim to the same syndrome.
In July, my new romance novel sold 55 copies and have 1100 rentals.
Then suddenly there was nothing. Nothing changed. I was doing all ..."

Hi, John

I recently ran a discount promotion (regularly $2.99, on sale for .99 cents). Sales went up quite a bit, but not enough to offset the decrease in royalty per book sold. It was a fun experiment, but I was glad to get back to normal.

75% of my business comes through pages read through KU, so that's what I focus on.

April

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tyree I'm running my first discount promotion right now. It's been up two days at .99 cents and there have been exactly 0 sales at this point.

message 21: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Elizabeth wrote: "I'm running my first discount promotion right now. It's been up two days at .99 cents and there have been exactly 0 sales at this point."

Where are you announcing the promotion?

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tyree On my blog, twitter, and Facebook. I've had a couple of post and tweet shares but since I can't pay for promoting at the moment, it isn't going as far as I would like.