2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
This topic is about If I Stay
. Week 40: Made You Cry > If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Biana If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman
I stalled reading this book. I had heard such amazing things about it...but I really didn't want to have my heart ripped out and handed to me. SO glad I got over that. Yes, it's tragic and it's painful to read. And it's so worth it. As a parent, I kept thinking about my child in that position and it would kill me. (I'm crying writing this...but it's a good memory!)

I know that there is a movie now...one I can easily get at Redbox or probably on Netflix. But I'm not going to do it. I cried enough.

message 2: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec | 64 comments I read this for the book made into a movie week and then the sequel for the book I could finish in a day. I really enjoyed both.

Ella | 234 comments I actually liked the sequel better than the first book.

Jasmine (pikakejazz) I am about 6-7 weeks behind so I probably won't get to this book for a little while longer, but I think I want to read this one for the Week 40 challenge, too. Saw the movie already and can't say I was a huge fan (the actors kinda bugged me)... but I still find the premise of the book intriguing and I'm hoping that maybe I can like the book a little better...

Deana (ablotial) I'll be reading this also, just got it today from the library.

Deana (ablotial) I ended up not really liking this book very much. My favorite part was the list of all the musical reference explanations at the end. I did tear up slightly during the initial accident scene because of the little brother, Teddy.

I found it hard to like Mia, though I can't put my finger on a specific reason why. I also did not like Adam at all. Maybe that's why I didn't like Mia... she was so obsessed with this guy and she could have done so much better. But that's high school girls I guess.

The way the story was written also did not appeal to me. Each chapter there was a paragraph, or maybe a page or two tops, set in the present, and then there would be a flashback to something in the past. And a good third of the time, the flashbacks would also have flashbacks. I can't imagine how this would work in the movie version... maybe that will be enough to convince me to watch it and find out.

Finally, although this idea of getting to choose whether to live or die was really intriguing to me, I'm not sure it was well executed. It bothers me that we don't know why Mia got this ability although it seems that no one else did. Or did they, and for some reason they all chose to die? I find that harder to believe. What made her special?

message 7: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments I watched the movie and was thinking of trying this book. It sounds like the movie was better, so I am going to avoid the book.
From most comments about this author's books the movies may be the better choice. :?

Jasmine (pikakejazz) Finally started. So far, so good I guess. I'm just hoping that this will be a short easy read because I am soooo far behind in meeting my book challenge for the year! :(

message 9: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec | 64 comments Anastasia wrote: "I watched the movie and was thinking of trying this book. It sounds like the movie was better, so I am going to avoid the book.
From most comments about this author's books the movies may be the b..."

I read the book first and then tried to watch the movie but couldn't get into it.

Jasmine (pikakejazz) Finally finished! I guess I did cry, but I wasn't a huge fan. I think watching the movie beforehand ruined the book for me. I didn't like the movie all that much and now I don't like the book all that much, either. Still a fairly short read though!

My review here.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

If I Stay (other topics)