What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Thriller, man helps attractive woman whose car has broken down in the desert in first chapter

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 20, 2015 07:38AM) (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments An adult thriller (as in book aimed at adults, not erotica!) which I read in the early 2000s. I would guess it was published in the 90s or 2000s. It is an American book.

All I really remember is the opening chapter where a man encounters a pretty woman whose car has broken down in the desert. She seems completely unworried as she says she was sure that someone would come along to rescue her. The man thinks she is kind of spoiled and entitled, and tells her she should learn basic car maintenance as she could easily have died before help arrived. I think he ends up changing her tyre.

I can't recall the rest of the plot except the woman turns out to be some kind of con-woman or criminal. At first she just seems kind of naive, but it turns out she is up to something and the man somehow gets caught up in her plan.

I think the cover had a lot of blue and yellow on it, maybe an illustration of a desert and/or a car?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Bailey | 103 comments This doesn't quite meet your plot but Echo Burning by Lee Child is one of the Jack Reacher novels that begins with him hitch hiking in the desert and being picked up by a pretty woman who is caught up in dangerous situation.

The book has a mainly yellow and blue cover and was published in 2001.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35777 comments Mod
Echo Burning by Lee Child for Emma's suggestion.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments I don't think this is what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments bump

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments Bump

message 7: by Rachel (new)

message 8: by Rachel (new)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments Bump. Still looking

message 10: by Kris (last edited Mar 03, 2017 06:59AM) (new)

Kris | 35777 comments Mod
Rachel, is this romantic suspense or more thriller?

Can you tell us more about the hero - his job (e.g., detective), hobbies/skills, what he was doing in the desert, personality, etc.?

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments Hi Kris. It's a thriller/crime novel, not much romance at all if I remember correctly.

About the hero... I'm sorry to say I remember almost nothing, except he knows how to change a tyre! I think he was a middle-aged or older man, who had a fatherly-protective attitude towards the woman at first (until it turned out she was up to no good). Sorry I don't have more info. It's been a long time since I read it.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

message 13: by Rachel (new)

message 14: by Rachel (new)

message 15: by Rachel (new)

message 16: by Rachel (new)

message 17: by David (new)

David (davidofterra) | 59 comments bump