Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2015 Challenge Archive > 2015 September Word Hunt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19375 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 September 2015

Each month, we'll list 10 words. Your challenge is to see if you can find them all within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE.

0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up
6-8 words : getting hotter
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

September
abandon
absorb
bad
chaotic
downward
guilt
insect
modern
recluse
worm

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word. Basic extensions (eg reverses, reversed, reversing) are acceptable. If the word changes too much (eg reversible), then it won't be allowed. We will note allowable exceptions beyond the basics noted here on the list each month.

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

Examples which work
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

Example which will not be approved
Reversal - The Heiress Effect √ 15 Jul
p90 (or LOC 1869): That was a balance that begged for reversal.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19375 comments Example post:

Word Hunt - January
1 Jan - 31 Jan 2015

Word found: 10/10
Book completed: 7

Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
bowl
Undertow √ 4 Jan
bartender, king, mourning
Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
champagne, molasses
Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
diary
Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
blood
Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
grandmother
Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
dreamed

1. BARTENDER - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p113 - (Which was Sunday and Monday - Saturday was a busy night on the bartender/club scene.
2. CHAMPAGNE - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p180-181 - The doorman greeted him inside the foyer and waved his past - no need to check the guest list for his name - and he grabbed a glass of champagne from a tray and looked around.
3. BOWL Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
p11 - "Another hippy bloke selling hand-turned bowls and crap like that."
4. KING - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p48 - Roan was the king of the jungle, and he should have no problem subduing cats; it was shat he did, sometimes without intention.
5. DREAM - Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
LOC 756: I'd never have dreamed just holding a person's hand could be such a turn on.
6. MOURN - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p262 - Because, come to think about it, you could confuse remorse for mourning, especially in a naturally depressed person.
7. GRANDMOTHER - Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
p98-99 - "... He put your grandmother on a pedestal until the day she died. ..."
8. DIARY - Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
p231 - Alexi took the diary, opened it, and held it in front of my eyes.
9. MOLASSES - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p217 - "You move like molasses, my pet."
10. BLOOD - Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
p46-47: Lee shivered, overwhelmed by the attraction simmering in his blood.

message 3: by Tammie (last edited Sep 28, 2015 05:46PM) (new)

Tammie | 1618 comments Going for Champion Hunter!
Found: 10/10

✔9/1 abandon: Double Feature: The Game Plan & Double Dare, 16% 1752 of 12319 Kindle, …long abandoned wasps nests and a surprisingly sturdy frame…
✔9/4 absorb: One Foot in the Grave, 53% 2731 of 5156 Kindle, As absorbed as I was in devouring the image of my father, …
✔9/10 bad: Simply Irresistible, 2% 69 if 3838 Kindle, …big and, for all she knew, bad, to boot, …
✔9/11 chaotic: Simply Irresistible, 93% 3553 of 3838 Kindle, The police had blocked off traffic, but the scene was still chaotic.
✔9/10 downward: Simply Irresistible, 62% 2347 of 3838 Kindle, Jax’s eyes dipped downward,…
✔9/28 guilt: Valentine, 34% 474 of 1361 Kindle, He stared at me, a spark of guilt there.
✔9/6 insect: At Grave's End, 81% 4207 of 5129 Kindle, …and she can’t be stopped by insects who are lower than locusts!”
✔9/5 modern: One Foot in the Grave, 92% 4779 of 5156 Kindle, …transfusions on the spot with the handiness of modern science.
✔9/1 recluse: Game Plan (double feature with Double Dare), 10% 1067 of 12319 Kindle, “The fact that you’re a recluse,”…
✔9/4 worm: One Foot in the Grave, 60% 3123 of 5156 Kindle, “That pendaho can have two worms on the hook instead of one;…
Double Feature The Game Plan & Double Dare (Neighbor from Hell) by R.L. Mathewson One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) by Jill Shalvis At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Valentine (On Dublin Street, #5.5) by Samantha Young

message 4: by Macwolf01 [Elise] (last edited Sep 18, 2015 10:10AM) (new)

Macwolf01 [Elise] (macwolf01) | 1012 comments Word Hunt: September '15

Completed: 8/10 ~ 6-8 words : getting hotter

abandon: '"Nope. Try to be a nice guy about this and if you decide to abandon the place, lock up and let Jack know."' Paradise Valley (#7 Virgin River) by Robyn Carr found @ 40.5% of entire book [Read: softcover 07 Sept '15]

absorb: '"Absorb the energy, all of it. Now, before it's too late."' Archangel's Enigma by Nalini Singh Pg 352 [Read: softcover 02 Sept '15]

bad:'Even so far from his family at such a bad time, he hadn't felt angry and panicked and as if he was in the wrong skin.' Archangel's Enigma by Nalini Singh Pg 189 [Read: softcover 02 Sept '15]

chaotic: 'For her to bring something, given her chaotic schedule, was something in itself, ...' Just Over the Mountain(Grace Valley Trilogy #2) by Robyn Carr, Chp 9 41.3% of entire book [Read: ebook 17 Sept '15]

downward

guilt: '...,Paul had such guilt and shame about his obsession, he couldn't act.' Paradise Valley (#7 Virgin River) by Robyn Carr found @ 37.5% of entire book [Read: softcover 07 Sept '15]

insect: '... she listened as hard as she could, but all she could hear was the buzzing, as if the insects were right on top of her...' Archangel's Enigma by Nalini Singh Pg 211 [Read: softcover 02 Sept '15]

modern: 'They pulled in aspects from old books and modern movies and everything in between.' Omens (Cainsville #1) by Kelley Armstrong Chp 26 pg 5 of 18 35% of entire book [Read: ebook 16 Sept '15]

recluse

worm: 'You can drop this can of worms on my desk, and then you turn and run.' Girl Missing: A Novel by Tess Gerristen Pg 131 [Read: softcover 06 Sept '15]

Archangel's Enigma (Guild Hunter, #8) by Nalini Singh Girl Missing A Novel by Tess Gerritsen Paradise Valley (A Virgin River Novel) by Robyn Carr Omens (Cainsville, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Just Over the Mountain (Grace Valley Trilogy) by Robyn Carr

message 5: by ❀~Amy~❀ (last edited Sep 20, 2015 01:40PM) (new)

❀~Amy~❀ (ajpayne75) | 546 comments September Monthly Word Hunt
3 words per book

Completed: 10/10

abandon - Twisted ~ 9/3/15 ~ ★ ~ ...but you just can't abandon someone like this! ~ Page 105

absorb - The Master ~ 9/9/15 ~ ★★★1/2 ...but I knew they'd absorbed the truth... ~ loc. 808

bad - The Dating Game ~9/1/15 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...prove to Nathan that he wasn't as bad as his reputation seemed to imply. ~ Page 16

chaotic - Helping Hand ~ 9/8/15 ~ ★★★★ ...than being a chaotic mess of books... ~ loc. 379

downward - Twisted ~ 9/3/15 ~ ★ ~ ...slowly traveling downward to make it up... ~ Page 40

guilt - The Dating Game ~9/1/15 ~ ★★★★ A spike of unexpected guilt shot through Owen ~ Page 61

insect - The Master ~ 9/9/15 ~ ★★★1/2 ...as a scientist might study an insect. ~ loc. 2336

modern - For Real ~ 9/4/15 ~ ★★★★★ ~ Or some kind of posh modern take on one... ~ Page 38

recluse - Undeniable ~ 9/20/15 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...was even more of a recluse than I had... ~ Loc. 440

worm - Twisted ~ 9/3/15 ~ ★ ~ ...like a newborn bird to a worm, greedy for more. ~ Page 137

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I'm in!

Dang - insect and worm! Lol

message 7: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19375 comments I'm hoping insect will be easy enough - worm not so much ;)

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19242 comments I'm in again even though I am struggling with August's... =)

message 9: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (last edited Sep 08, 2015 05:02PM) (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) Completed 10/10

√ abandon - Heart-Shaped Hack * 9/3 * 5 stars
Loc 1024 * 25%
"I feel bad abandoning you, Kate said."

√ absorb - It Ain't Me, Babe * 9/2 * 4 stars
pg 276 * 62%
"Heat pooled between my legs as I absorbed every inch of his bare body and I began to pant."

√ bad - It Ain't Me, Babe * 9/2 * 4 stars
pg 23 * 7%
"Filled with bad, bad folks."

√ chaotic - I Am Pilgrim * 9/6 * 5 stars story ♫ 4 stars narration
pg 59 * 10%
"Given the chaotic traffic, it could take hours."

√ downward - Heart-Shaped Hack * 9/3 * 5 stars
Loc 1420 * 34%
"He dragged his finger downward and slipped it inside her."

√ guilt - The Gunslinger * 9/6 * 2.5 stars
Loc 1118 * 36%
"Any thoughts of guilt , any feelings of regret, had faded."

√ insect - It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War * 9/8 * 4 stars story ♫ 3 stars narration
Loc 2039 * 46%
"In Chad insects had spit acid on my skin, leaving long, watery blisters up and down my arms by morning."

√ modern - It Ain't Me, Babe * 9/2 * 4 stars
pg 228 * 52%
"I do not know all the modern devices that dominate your day-to-day life."

√ recluse - The Story of Us * 9/8 * 3 stars
Loc 1556 * 23%
"Of course, my dad hit the roof and I became an absolute recluse ."

√ worm - The Gunslinger * 9/6 * 2.5 stars
Loc 725 * 23%
"And then Nort would tell what he's seen in the Land of Death, what lay beyond the earth and the worms ."

Heart-Shaped Hack (Kate and Ian, #1) by Tracey Garvis-Graves It Ain't Me, Babe (Hades Hangmen, #1) by Tillie Cole I Am Pilgrim (Pilgrim, #1) by Terry Hayes The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King It's What I Do A Photographer's Life of Love and War by Lynsey Addario The Story of Us (Carnage, #1) by Lesley Jones

message 10: by Calila (last edited Sep 15, 2015 01:10PM) (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Probably won't finish August, but I'm in again, for all 10!

10/10

Abandon - Safeword 08/02/15 ★★★★
LOC 2624 - "You never abandoned me, even if we didn't work together for a while."

Absorb - Safeword 08/02/15 ★★★★
LOC 452 - "The room absorbed our heavy breathing, guttural moans, and whispered curses."

Bad - Quinn's Gambit 09/08/15 ★★★★
LOC 511 - "I mean, geez, you're not bad looking."

Chaotic - This Other Country 09/06/15 ★★★
LOC 4629 - "Rest, food, and professional expertise would eventually undo the chaotic radicalisation they'd been subjected to."

Downward - Safeword 08/02/15 ★★★★
LOC 4390 - "Two months into it, and Marshall seemed to have stopped his downward spiral."

Guilt - This Other Country 09/06/15 ★★★
LOC 4142 - "Her guilt."

Insect - Quinn's Gambit 09/08/15 ★★★★
LOC 1959 - "In insect-whine voices, they all cried out, "Kai! Kai! Kai! Kai!"

Modern - This Other Country 09/06/15 ★★★
LOC 3971 - "Nikolas knew what modern music was; he just didn't want to experience it."

Recluse - Lights, Camera, Cupid 09/14/15 ★★★★★
LOC 70 - "Especially now that he was actually around people all the time - he'd been a happy recluse until relatively recently - and now that he was in a relationship."

Worm - Quinn's Gambit 09/08/15 ★★★★
LOC 1163 - "The worm was in."

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 42 comments I'm in this sounds fun..

message 12: by Amy (last edited Sep 18, 2015 09:31AM) (new)

Amy (amy-i) September Word Hunt
(max. 3 words per book)

Found: 10/10 Finished!

Rattlesnake by Kim Fielding ABEL 2 Hearts in Chaos (Phoenix Club, #2) by C.J. Bishop Badger by C.M. McKenna Lovers & Fighters by Nash Summers Not a Word by Dawn Sister

abandon - Rattlesnake → ★★★★★ | 9/6
10%.....He’d never had any kids to abandon, never had anyone to let down.

absorb - Badger → ★★★★☆ | 9/9
13%.....Maybe by osmosis, I could absorb some of Badger’s ballsiness.

bad - ABEL 2: Hearts in Chaos → ★★★★☆ | 9/6
3%.....Isn't that what mothers told their kids when they played out in the bad weather?

chaotic - Badger → ★★★★☆ | 9/9
85%.....“Yeah, but it’ll make the cops hate the Badger even worse, if things get chaotic. And it could get the stupider imitators arrested.”

downward - Rattlesnake → ★★★★★ | 9/6
44%.....He followed the downward slope back to town.

guilt - Rattlesnake → ★★★★★ | 9/6
78%.....But you know what’s worse than the guilt?

insect - Badger → ★★★★☆ | 9/9
32%.....If I wanted him, I had to suck it up and go places, ugly places, root around in the dark through the cobwebs and insect hulls, trusting there was a reward hidden in this creepy mess.

modern - Lovers & Fighters → ★★★★☆ | 9/10
5%.....Fresh flowers sat on top of the dresser in the corner, and a modern, simplistic lamp covered the darkened room with a soft blanket of light that stretched over.

recluse - Not a Word → ★★★★☆ | 9/18
19%.....Not for the first time, I think I may have turned into a bit of a recluse.

worm - Not a Word → ★★★★☆ | 9/18
73%.....He’s wormed his way into my life, and I didn’t even put up a fight.

message 13: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2106 comments i'm in! :)

message 14: by Lily (last edited Sep 10, 2015 05:22PM) (new)

Lily (lilygcs) | 200 comments Sept 10th ***Leaving challenge due to lack of time***

September
abandon
absorb
bad
chaotic
downward
guilt
insect
modern
recluse
worm

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments when insomnia strikes...you spend the time searching for words ;) I found all 10 last night, now to just wait until next month to start reading

message 16: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited Sep 30, 2015 05:55PM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1073 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 September 2015

9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter! 10 as of 09.30

abandon Graceling, kristin cashore...pg 319 an abandoned cabin

absorb Graceling krstin cashore...pg 435 Katsa absorbed all of this in a glance

bad Graceling, kristin cashore...pg 61 Katsa thought it must be very bad to work in the nurseries

chaotic Magic Shifts, ilona andrews...pg 53 On a good day the Guild used to be chaotic with a steady stream of mercs coming and going

downward A Witch Before Dying, heather blake... pg 21 his eyebrows drew downward as he watched her saunter over

guilt A Witch Before Dying, heather blake...pg 76 lay on the guilt

insect Magic Shifts, ilona andrews...pg 66 The giant insect landed in the driveway

modern Magic Shifts, ilona andrews...pg 57 Modern builders kept their windows small

recluse A Witch Before Dying, heather blake...pg 57 I'd never even met him as he was a bit of a recluse

worm Wickedly Dangerous, deborah blake...pg 48 Liam would never have guessed that old sorrow wormed its way

message 17: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19242 comments Dee wrote: "when insomnia strikes...you spend the time searching for words ;) I found all 10 last night, now to just wait until next month to start reading"

Impressive! Not the insomnia - that sucks!

message 18: by Andrea (last edited Sep 29, 2015 12:08PM) (new)

Andrea | 101 comments I'm in...
10/10

abandon - Shaking the Sugar Tree - Sep1 -5*
I let his hair grow in glorious abandon because he doesn't like having it cut. (Pos. 111)
absorb - On Thin Ice – Sep2 - 3*
But the other night, he'd been so freaked out by what he'd seen, the concept that he wasn't dangerous had been difficult to absorb(Pos. 592)
bad - Take – Sep9 - 2*
That was pretty fucking bad, even for him. (Pos181)
chaotic - Unexpected – Sep8 - 5*
The combination of a chaotic day with so many emotions and a bottle of wine made me not drunk, but slightlybuzzed. (Pos463)
downward - A Matter of Trust– Sep17 - 3*
A natural submissive would look downward and become agitated if any man other than his Master got this close (Pos. 504)
guilt – How to Catch a Cheetah – Sep5 - 3*
Dji felt a twinge of guilt that it was Xander, and not Kei, he told all those things. (Pos2096)
insect – New York Cowboy – Sep14 - 4*
Do you think I can't squash you like the insect you are? (Pos 1782)
modern – Unfortunate Son– Sep23 - 4*
The song changed as Evan swallowed, this time into something both straightforward and easily recognizable, at least to anyone with any knowledge of modern country music: Garth Brooks' „Friends in low places“. (Pos.234)
recluse - The HomePort Journals – Sep28 - 5*
I've worked hard to get her to be less of a recluse, but if anyone could set Lola back, it's Marvin.(Pos. 459)
worm – Emergency Contact – Sep7 - 4*
I guess that makes me the worm. (Pos.791)

message 19: by Shelby (last edited Oct 01, 2015 07:29PM) (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1632 comments RRRC Word Hunt
September 1, 2015 - September 30, 2015

September - 10/10

BOOK #1 - A Rogue by Any Other Name (9/1) ★★★½
BOOK #2 - How to Catch a Cheetah (9/5) ★★★½
BOOK #3 - Rock Solid (9/6) ★★★½
BOOK #4 - The Bible Boys (9/7) ★★
BOOK #5 - Blood Bound (9/9) ★★★★½
BOOK #6 - Hoarfrost (9/10) ★★★★★
BOOK #7 - Love is a Stranger (9/13) ★★★★
BOOK #8 - Rock (9/15) ★★★★
BOOK #9 - Against the Grain (9/16) ★★★★½
BOOK #10 - Alex's Surprise (9/30) ★★★

1. Abandon - (LiaS) pg. 224/"He didn't want to ABANDON it and have it reported on the grid."
2. Absorb - (R) pg. 25/"The smooth stone massages and revitalizes my skin as the sediments ABSORB my stress."
3. Bad - (AtG) loc. 533/"I want him so BAD it's killing me..."
4. Chaotic - (H) pg. 42/"The think sunlight, which lasted only a few hours at this latitude, revealed a CHAOTIC scene of ships..."
5. Downward - (TBB) loc. 1971/"Caleb continued DOWNWARD into a sitting position..."
6. Guilt - (RS) pg. 68/"It was his mom, and GUILT poked and prodded at his insides..."
7. Insect - (RBAON) pg. 266/"You needn't say it as though he was an INSECT under glass."
8. Modern - (BB) pg. 42/"It's hard on the older werewolves to adjust to MODERN ways of thinking."
9. Recluse - (AS) loc. 1255/"He runs a very RECLUSIVE, hidden, and secret hospital."
10. Worm - (HtCaC) loc. 245/"Allowing that wonderful name to WORM its way through his lust-addled brain..."

A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean How to Catch a Cheetah by Liza Kay Rock Solid (Rock Solid Construction #1) by Riley Hart The Bible Boys by Dan Skinner Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6) by Jordan L. Hawk Love is a Stranger (More Heat Than the Sun, #1) by John Wiltshire Rock by Anyta Sunday Against the Grain (THIRDS #5) by Charlie Cochet Alex's Surprise (Unexpected, #1) by Chris McHart

message 20: by Maritza (last edited Sep 25, 2015 05:48AM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 521 comments My spot. SEPTEMBER 2015 WORD HUNT

Abandon - Secret Pleasure read 09/05/15***
pg 82 - ...time to do the things women did without feeling as though she were ABANDONing them.

Absorb - What Wendy Wants read 09/24/15****
loc. 20% - ...he realized that he had been so ABSORBed in his own d**k...

Bad - Midnight Captive read 09/09/15****
loc. 62% - Hell, it was BAD enough that Macgregor was lurking somewhere nearby,

Chaotic - Scandal Never Sleeps read 09/17/15****
pg 139 - ...part she'd played in this CHAOTIC mess.

Downward - A Ghostly Grave read 09/13/15***
loc. 30.2% - the women were in the DOWNWARD dog position.

Guilt - Secret Pleasure read 09/05/2015***
pg 69 - ...and GUILT to control her daughter as she grew up...

Insect - Scandal Never Sleeps read 09/17/15****
pg 172 - ..., but he didn't know any woman who actually liked INSECTs.

Modern - Rock Chick Reckoning read 09/13/15*****
pg 268 - 'your house is MODERN,' I told him.

recluse

Worm - A Ghostly Grave read 09/13/15***
loc. 34.9% - I tried to WORM my way out of the sticky situation I had just put myself into.

Secret Pleasure (Bound Hearts, #13) by Lora Leigh Midnight Captive (Killer Instincts, #6) by Elle Kennedy A Ghostly Grave (Ghostly Southern Mysteries, #2) by Tonya Kappes Rock Chick Reckoning (Rock Chick, #6) by Kristen Ashley Scandal Never Sleeps (The Perfect Gentlemen, #1) by Shayla Black What Wendy Wants by Nikki Sex

message 21: by Karen ♐ (last edited Sep 13, 2015 04:43PM) (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1203 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 September 2015

✔0-3 words : better luck next time
✔3-5 words : warming up
✔6-8 words : getting hotter
✔9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

abandon - Seduced in the Dark
p. 28 - dream as it raced to abandon his conscious mind.

absorb - Seduced in the Dark
p. 91 - He was much too absorbed in what he was doing

bad - Seduced in the Dark
p. 38 - He wanted this bad and he was doing a poor job of hiding it.

chaotic - Badger
Loc 225 - on the heels of a chaotic breakup, the door swung in with a creak.

downward - Lord of Pleasure
Loc 422 - gathered her skirts and eased downward into the chair.

guilt - Lord of Pleasure
Loc 56 - Guilt only ever choked him when his mother grew baffled as to why he

insect - Forget Me Not
Loc 4809 - The buzzing of insects nearly masked the shuffle of feet outside

modern - Forget Me Not
Loc 498 - have been a museum of modern art

recluse - A Virgin River Christmas
Loc 914 - He's a recluse - does he even have any friends?

worm - Epilogue
p. 195 - Within seconds, my heated fingers wormed their way

message 22: by Melissa (last edited Sep 16, 2015 01:45PM) (new)

Melissa Jackson | 55 comments Finished: Sep 16

✔0-3 words : better luck next time
✔3-5 words : warming up
✔6-8 words : getting hotter
✔9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

abandon - Jo's Journey
p225: He was drawing a blank as he hadn’t told her yet about abandoning their plans to use her, her sister and River as bait.

absorb - The Highlander's Touch
p22: She remained motionless, cataloging him as if he were one of the museum’s recent acquisitions, absorbing the incredible length and breadth of his body.

bad - Jo's Journey
p61: It was badZ enough that Kev and K’tar were in the room.

chaotic - Hostage to Pleasure
p112: Protected by the strange, twisting, chaotic shield that blocked Amara, she broke every rule and savored the experience.

downward - Jo's Journey
p199: She blocked a downward slice while bowing back away when he came up with his other hand from underneath

guilt - The Highlander's Touch
p11: Those days were the worst because with the resentment came a crushing load of guilt that made her aware of how ungrateful she was.

insect - Hostage to Pleasure
p61: An entomologist who specialized in the medicinal properties of insects.

modern - The Highlander's Touch
p76: She knew that sealing an agreement was no small matter to a knight, so she extended her hand for the seal of a handshake, not realizing how thoroughly modern-day the gesture was.

recluse - Miss Leozandra's
p1: Yes, but I’m determined to not be a recluse.

worm - Her Dragon To Slay
p73: Somehow in the last twelve hours he had wormed his way into her heart.

message 23: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3256 comments spot hold

message 24: by Christina (AKA Babbling) (last edited Oct 01, 2015 05:39PM) (new)

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 195 comments I'm in

rrrc September

Shadows Strike (Immortal Guardians, #6) by Dianne Duvall

absorb - loc 2361 - he allowed himself to absorb the peace she brought him
chaotic - loc 2206 - her own thoughts were chaotic
modern - loc 3015 - reduced to a mangled mess of modern art.

Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs 9 Sep 2015 ★★★★

Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7) by Patricia Briggs

abandon- pg. 58; loc 781 - you asked me to abandon my friends because you thought they were dangerous.
guilt - pg 3, loc. 101 - her mother's patented brand of guilt trip
insect - pg 176; 2228 - some had lives comparable to insects' - a few seasons than gone.

On Hallowed Ground: The Story of Arlington National Cemetery by Robert M. Poole 14 Sep 15 ★★★★★

On Hallowed Ground The Story of Arlington National Cemetery by Robert M. Poole

bad - PG 63, LOC: 1165 - one died from drinking bad wiskey

True North by Liora Blake 18 Sep 2015 ★★★

True North (True, #1) by Liora Blake

downward - loc. 410 - His chin tilts downward a bit, so he's forced.

Alice by Christina Henry 23 Sep 2015 ★★★

Alice by Christina Henry

worm - pg. 133; loc 1486 - of her head and wormed through her jacket.

recluse

message 25: by GreenEyedTigerCub (last edited Sep 26, 2015 03:56AM) (new)

GreenEyedTigerCub Verhoeven 0-3 words : better luck next time

September 10/10

Abandon, Incandescent, September 1
Page 176, The most marvelous sensation prickles at my skin as my body begs for it to never end. Seized by a rush of awareness so intense, I scream out with unabashed abandon.

Absorb, Vacant (empathy boxed set), September 5
Loc 5361, I wrap Melody in my arms & let her cry into my shoulder my skin has absorbed many of my wife's tears over the years, each one a memory of her suffering. She deserves some happiness. I can never tell her the truth; instead I will bury the knowledge deep into my soul & give her many good memories to eclipse the bad.

Bad, Vacant (empathy boxed set), September 5
Loc 5544, My sweet precious Cereus was getting out of control, and control was never something I ever wanted to constrict her with. Giving her a rein was as bad as putting a noose around her pretty, delicate neck - or my own come to think of it.

Chaotic,Repair Me, September 11
With my uncle & cousin stopping by frequently, life had gotten too chaotic to even consider looking up Sky.

Downward, Hell's Ink, September 23
Page 3, His mouth drifted downward, his tongue dipping into the hollow of her navel.

Guilt, Incandescent, September 1
Page 155, I ignore his question and the pang of guilt I feel hearing Nix is having a sh*t week like me.

Insect, Runaway Girls: A Contemporary Romance Boxed Set (Selfless), September 25
Loc: 9919, Pushing us up the stairs to the platform. With our tall shoes, I could hear the buzz of the fluorescent bulbs most of all. They sounded like angry insects, drowning out the chatter of the men sitting around

Modern, Incandescent, September 3
Page 197, 'Hello Sweetheart'. He moves in close & I have to laugh. I think all these men have it bad for themselves, but Jessie takes the cake. The guy is the modern-day Casanova.

Recluse, Who I Was, September 24
Loc: 524, damn, I will not become a smelly recluse. Not again.

Worm, The Missing Volume I- Illusions, September 12
Loc: 588, The pretty girl from the abusive home who, just by being normal, had wormed her way into my mother's coal black heart.

I'm already going for recluse as the hardest word

Incandescent (Knights Rebels MC, #1) by River Savage Vacant (Empathy, #2.5) by Ker Dukey Repair Me (Kin, #1) by Jennifer Foor Hell's Ink (Forever Inked, #2) by Nicole Reed Runaway Girls A Contemporary Romance Boxed Set by Lexie Ray Who I Was (Who I Was, #1) by Kasidy Blake The Missing Volume I- Illusions by A. Meredith Walters

message 26: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments I don't understand the difference between the three examplies

Examples which work
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

Example which will not be approved
Reversal - The Heiress Effect √ 15 Jul
p90 (or LOC 1869): That was a balance that begged for reversal.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I am in again

6-8 geting hotter

0/8

abandon

absorb

bad

chaotic

downward

guilt

insect

modern

recluse

worm

message 28: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 20, 2015 09:26PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19375 comments Lindy wrote: "I don't understand the difference between the three examplies

Examples which work
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none..."

This is just showing the extensions that are acceptable for the word 'reverse' ~being reverse (obviously) and reversing. 'Reversal' (turning it into a noun, or rather into another noun since 'reverse' can be either an adjective or a noun) was not an acceptable extension.

For the word to count and be used for this challenge it must have been only minimally changed... So only making it plural (*s) , past tense (*d) or an action (*ing) were the changes we decided upon.

No real science to it - just what the mods determined when the challenge was designed.

message 29: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Iturrino | 36 comments I'm in too!!! I had my list written down for August but have no idea where I put it!

message 30: by NayNay (last edited Sep 30, 2015 07:16AM) (new)

NayNay Monthly Word Hunt
Duration:
September 1/15 - September 30/15

recluse - Missed

Book Used: When the Cypress Whispers by Yvette Manessis Corporon

September location page 354 'that beautiful mid-September afternoon'
abandon location page 100 'does she really think I've abandoned her'
absorb location page 29 'absorbed by their beautifully synchronized choregraphy'
bad location page 58 'bad timeing'
downward location pagr 54 'the large lemon tree whose branches bent downward'
guilt location page 94 'guilt free sexual exploration'
insect location page 226 'spiders suck the blood of insects'
modern location page 43 'modern times'

Book Used: The May Bride by Suzannah Dunn

chaotic location page 98 'In truth, my blood was chaotic inside me'

Book Used: Summer at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #1) by Susan Wiggs

worm location page 231 'put a fresh worm on the hook'

message 31: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments Cann we find all of the words in one book if possible?

message 32: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Lindy wrote: "I don't understand the difference between the three examplies

Examples which work
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person di..."

I didnt' see that, I am blind

message 33: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments I found it

Cann we find all of the words in one book if possible?

only 3 per book

message 34: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19375 comments LOL - no problems Lindy :)

message 35: by Barbara ★ (last edited Sep 06, 2015 04:13PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3550 comments I'm in.

10/10 FOUND

abandon ~ Hope Flames - Jaci Burton 9/4
(who would abandon you), p15

absorb ~ Obsidian - Jennifer Armentrout 9/2
(when we absorb your powers), p188

bad ~ Crossfire - Joann Ross 9/4
(that was bad), p14

chaotic ~ The Raider - Monica McCarty 9/3
(the already chaotic and crowded fair), p39

downward ~ Trouble in Spades - Heather Webber 9/6
(Kit nodded downward), p241

guilt ~ Obsidian - Jennifer Armentrout 9/2
(she was harboring guilt), p79

insect ~ Savage Nature - Christine Feehan 9/5
(frogs and insects going silent), p3

modern ~ Savage Nature - Christine Feehan 9/5
(more victorian rather than modern), p253

recluse ~ Hope Flames - Jaci Burton 9/4
(so he doesn't become a recluse), p57

worm ~ Trouble in Spades - Heather Webber 9/6
(inching closer like a worm), p227

Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout The Raider (Highland Guard, #8) by Monica McCarty Crossfire (High Risk #2) by JoAnn Ross Hope Flames (Hope #1) by Jaci Burton Savage Nature (Leopard People, #5) by Christine Feehan

CHALLENGE COMPLETE

message 36: by Amanda (last edited Sep 15, 2015 11:13AM) (new)

Amanda Williams (amanda1972) | 19 comments I haven't done a challenge for ages,so I'm going to try this one :)

7/10 found

1) Abandon: The Death Collectors by Jack Kerley.
Location Pg 231 : He studied the abandoned wreck down the way, pasted with bumper stickers: I'm on the high Road to heaven, Jesus saves, read your bible.

2) Absorb: I Can See You by Karen Rose.
Location Pg 47/10% : Brock had absorbed more of Noah 's punches than either of them wanted to count.

3) Bad: Make Me, Sir by Cherise Sinclair.
Location 666/12% : A bad reality.

4) chaotic

5) downward

6) Guilt: Make Me, Sir by Cherise Sinclair.
Location 618/11% : She kept her gaze lowered so he wouldn't read the guilt in her eyes.

7) Insect: The Death Collectors by Jack Kerley.
Location Pg 8 : A wretched, despicable creature, a mere nothing, a vile insect risen in contempt against the majesty of art!.

8) Modern: I Can See You by Karen Rose.
Location Pg19/5% : 'Modern- day heroes', he muttered, quoting the shallow, pathetically written article all the detectives claimed embarrassed them, but he knew better.

9) recluse

10) Worm: The Death Collectors by Jack Kerley.
Location Pg 8 : " You are a worm " Hexcamp screamed at Penfriend.

Make Me, Sir (Masters of the Shadowlands, #5) by Cherise Sinclair The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2) by Jack Kerley I Can See You (Romantic Suspense, #10) by Karen Rose

message 37: by Chris (last edited Sep 18, 2015 01:01PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 133 comments I'm in.
COMPLETE
10/10

1. abandon
Fatal Affair 9/2
Loc. 4368
'Nick came in a few minutes later, carrying the package she had abandoned."

2. absorb
Fatal Affair 9/2
Loc. 365
"You could've given them fifteen minutes to absorb that before you went into attack cop mode."

3. bad
Nirvana 09/09
Loc: 267 (Kindle)
"He stopped for a moment and he knew it was bad news - he never called her by her first name."

4. chaotic
Silver Bay 09/18
Ch. 17 20:10 Scribd Audio
"I still thought her overly sarcastic, ambitious, and chaotic…"

5. downward
The Devil's Breath 09/01
p. 258
"She switched her gaze downward."

6. guilt
Fatal Affair 9/2
Loc. 1651
"Guilt was mixed in there, too."

7. insect
The Devil's Breath 09/01
p. 52
"Instead of whooping and diving for insects, they were keeping closer to the ground."

8. modern
The Last Letter from Your Lover
Chapt. 55 - 2:09 - audio
"They'd gone with modern furniture.."

9. recluse
Nirvana
Loc: 1123 (Kindle)
"…Serge became the bad boy, while Larissa went recluse."

10. worm
The Devil's Breath 09/01
p. 32
"And yet he felt a worm of anxiety burrowing  into his subconscious"

message 38: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments There is a book called The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan and I own it...lol

message 39: by Holli (last edited Sep 15, 2015 11:32PM) (new)

Holli | 182 comments September Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 September 2015

Books Used:
1. Throne of Glass 9/2/15
2. The Hunger Games 9/2/15
3. William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First 9/4/15
4. Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic 9/16/15

abandon - The Hunger Games; loc 3543 - things I've never tasted. I abandon my fork and scrape
absorb - Throne of Glass; loc 3705 - to link arms with him and absorb his warmth. The white, fur-lined
bad - The Hunger Games; loc 6 - mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with
chaotic - Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic; pg 67 (Nook) - now had become a chaotic hall thronged with BUD/S students
downward - Throne of Glass; loc 788 - were hooked, one directing downward, the other up. "What is..."
guilt - William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First; loc 2325 - cords. Young Anakin by guilt is overrun, Thinks
insect - The Hunger Games; loc 3230 - fours, like a frantic insect, too shocked to even
modern - Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic; pg 90 (Nook) - stay in step with modern medicine.
recluse
worm - Throne of Glass; loc 1369 - around with that sweating worm of a man as well." The

message 40: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Aug 22, 2015 01:52PM) (new)

Juliana Philippa (julianaphilippa) | 38 comments RRRC: 2015 September Word Hunt
September 1-30, 2015 | ? of 10 completed

abandon
absorb
bad
chaotic
downward
guilt
insect
modern
recluse
worm

message 41: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments I found all of the words, now I just have to read the books. Any form of worm ok? long as it is w o r m?

message 42: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19375 comments Lindy wrote: "I found all of the words, now I just have to read the books. Any form of worm ok? long as it is w o r m?"

So long as the word 'worm', 'wormed', 'worms' or 'worming' is used, you are fine- however it is intended :)

message 43: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments i have worm but it isnt' referrring to a real worm, more a man who is a worm I think

message 44: by funnichic0318 (new)

funnichic0318 | 132 comments 2015 Monthly Word Hunt
September
Duration: September 1st 2015 - September 30th 2015
Progress: x of 10

abandon:
Loc:

absorb:
Loc:

bad:
Loc:

chaotic:
Loc:

downward:
Loc:

guilt:
Loc:

insect:
Loc:

modern:
Loc:

recluse:
Loc:

worm:
Loc:

message 45: by Larissa (last edited Sep 15, 2015 09:15AM) (new)

Larissa (rissareadsromance) | 317 comments 2015 Monthly Word Hunt
September 10/10
Book completed: 5
COMPLETED 9/14

✔ abandon Tiger P69 "..prevented her from driving around the abandoned vehicle. 9/3

✔ absorb Numbers L3278 "She paused, giving him time to absorb that information."

✔ bad Tiger P47 "My wife got sick last month with a bad case of the flu.." 9/3

✔ chaotic Tiger P414 "..wood chaotically spread across the entire length of the roof.." 9/3

✔ downward Perfect Chaos P144 "it was his mouth drawn downwards." 9/4

✔ guilt Big Bad Bear P73 "Zeus was wracked with guilt as he hold his mate.." 9/3

✔ insect Arrow of Time P438 "Insects are nutritious, lots of protein.."

✔ modern Big Bad Bear P21 "looked modern and new. Cabinets.." 9/3

✔ recluse Big Bad Bear P3 "..noted recluse who lived alone in the mountains.." 9/3

✔ worm Perfect Chaos P212 "but I'd opened this can of worms.." 9/4

Tiger (New Species, #7) by Laurann Dohner Big Bad Bear (Soldier Bears #1) by Terry Bolryder Perfect Chaos (Unyielding, #1) by Nashoda Rose Numbers (New Species, #14-15) by Laurann Dohner Arrow of Time (Marauders, #1) by Lina Andersson

message 46: by Tina Theresa (last edited Sep 14, 2015 10:34PM) (new)

Tina Theresa | 255 comments September Word Hunt
10/9-10 DONE

abandon Handy Men p113 "..this drugging abandon that was stealing her mind, her will." 9/6
absorb That Thing You Do p92 "...Allie couldn't help but absorb a few episodes." 9/5
bad Melt with You p15 "....and never gave a woman a second chance to make a bad impression." 9/10
chaotic Wicked Loc 351 "I'm sorry I didn't let you know sooner, it got a bit chaotic is all." 9/14
downward Burns So Bad p48 "...pressing her forward to meet the downward thrust.." 9/7
guilt Melt with You p90 She was through wasting energy with guilt or regret. 9/10
insect Burns So Bad p162 "...the insect chatter part and parcel.." 9/7
modern That Thing You Do p211 "It's a modern marriage." 9/5
recluse Free Me Loc 9129 "...he turning into a recluse? Is he not spluring..." 9/15
worm Rescuing the Bad Boy p15 "....never to let Donny worm his way into her heart." 9/12

Burns So Bad (When SEALs come Home, #1) by Anne Marsh That Thing You Do (Whispering Bay Romance, #1) by Maria Geraci Handy Men by Delilah Devlin Melt with You (Fire and Icing, #1) by Jessie Evans Rescuing the Bad Boy (Second Chance, #2) by Jessica Lemmon Wicked (Wicked #1) by Alexis Blake

message 47: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 714 comments 2015 September Word Hunt

abandon
absorb
bad
chaotic
downward
guilt
insect
modern
recluse
worm

message 48: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19375 comments Lindy wrote: "i have worm but it isnt' referrring to a real worm, more a man who is a worm I think"

That's fine Lindy!

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Williams (amanda1972) | 19 comments I found loads of these words in The hundredth man by Jack Kerley, but too early for challenge The Hundredth Man

message 50: by Katie (last edited Sep 28, 2015 11:00AM) (new)

Katie | 2077 comments 10/10 read

Abandon - In Bed with a Highlander, Loc 2084, "...wondered if she shouldn't abandon the entire notion..."
Absorb - Saxon, Loc 3377, "I puff out a breath and absorb her words."
Bad - Ryder, Loc 136, "...well known locally as a bad ass guitarist..."
Chaotic - Attraction, Loc 1522, "...his scrawling, masculine, chaotic script it read: Parker..."
Downward - Hold On, Loc 5533, "...fast and stayed me before a downward glide..."
Guilt - James, Loc 708, "...Nikki had guilt tripped me into being in..."
Insect - Winters Heat, Loc 3115, "An insect crawled across her skin."
Modern - Derek, Loc 915, "Something modern and contemporary;"
Recluse - Night Seeker, Loc 461, "...she'd become relcusive, and I knew something had..."
Worm - Wicked Cravings, Loc 5852, "...remember to tell you I got worms from the cat?"

« previous 1 3