AlexandriaLibraryVA discussion

General > Literary Characters Re-imagined

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 103 comments Mod
Recently some pictures were released from the new movie Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. So what is your favorite example of a Literary Characters Re-imagined? Or if it hasn't been done yet what would you like to see?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (judydark) | 64 comments Mod
I'm not a zombie fan but there are a lot of great re imaginings of Jane Austen books. The one that always comes to mind which was really fun was Jane Austen in Boca which is P&P set in a retirement community in Florida.

message 3: by Ross2075 (new)

Ross2075 | 8 comments Gregory Maguire's books come to mind. Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West is one example. In Egg & Spoon he re-imagined one of my favorite literary characters, the witch Baba Yaga. I'm excited to read what he has to say about Wonderland in After Alice but we'll have to wait and see.

Also in Oz, is Dorothy Must Die. Another take on Dorothy. I liked Wicked a little more than this but, this is also a good re-imagining.

But my favorite re-imaginings come from Neil Gaiman's books. In American Gods you see gods from across many different beliefs re-imagined to fit into today's world, well maybe not the best description but it's really really good. And in Anansi Boys he re-imagines a character from African folk-lore. And of course there is The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes, where characters from myth, folklore, and my favorite witch all collide in some really cool stories.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Ok so the Dorothy Must Die series made me think because I remembered seeing a book called Peter Pan Must Die which is not by the same author nor is it even about Peter Pan. There are a number of books with titles blank "Must Die".

Dorothy Must Die
Peter Pan Must Die
Snow White Must Die
The King Must Die

Who knew there were so many people who had to die.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Harris (SherryHarris) | 7 comments Very interesting and funny!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebec) | 12 comments Not a book, but I like how they've brought Sherlock Holmes into the modern day with "Sherlock". It interesting to see him in the light of some of highlighted focus on Asperger's Syndrome. And of course, I'm looking forward to Kareem Abdul Jabbar's book starring Mycroft Holmes.

message 7: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Allison | 5 comments Also not a book, but Malificent was a fantastic retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story. I was pretty annoyed with the live action recent Cinderella, for instance.

message 8: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Allison | 5 comments Also not a book, but Malificent was a fantastic retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story. I was pretty annoyed with the live action recent Cinderella, for instance.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Another Jane Austen related title - I just finished Mrs. Bennet Has Her Say by Jane Juska, which tells the story of the early years of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet's marriage. I found it very entertaining! Mrs. Bennet Has Her Say by Jane Juska

message 10: by Katherine (last edited Oct 19, 2015 02:13PM) (new)

Another classic re-imagined was Re Jane by Patricia Park. This is a Jane Eyre retold. In this case Jane is a half Korean half American orphan working at her uncle's food mart in New York. This was a good one.

Re Jane by Patricia Park

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Re Jane is going on my list! Thanks!

message 12: by Vigil (new)

Vigil | 1 comments >Or if it hasn't been done yet what would you like to see?

Crime and Punishment in a modern setting would be amazing, but instead of the battle being entirely within Raskolnikov's head and couched in hypotheticals, it should be tied more to immediate real world events around him such that even as the guilty 'brain fever' is striking him, the ill-gotten money is already doing positive things for the world.