All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Posts > Group Classic nominations: October/November 2015

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

We are moving fast through the year as this thread is for our group classic read in October and November 2015.

Nominations will be run for 5 days and will close on August 25th.

During this time anybody can either nominate or second a book. The 6 books with the most second votes at the end of the 5 day nomination period will go into the poll. Each person can either nominate one book or second one book. There are no limits to the number of seconds a book can receive.

The poll will then run until the 31st August and the winner will be announced the following day. This will leave a month for people to get hold of the book in preparation for the read.

Please only nominate, second or vote for a book you will read with the group if it should win. Please also check that your chosen nomination hasn't been a group read in the past. You can do this by looking at the group bookshelf, contact one of the moderators or post on 'Ask the Moderators' thread

If you have any questions on the nominations process please contact me, use the 'Ask the Moderators' thread or post on here and we will be happy to help

Our current classic read which will run until the end of September is Far from the Madding Crowd

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I will nominate Zuleika Dobson

message 3: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 1082 comments I'll nominate The Age of Innocence

message 4: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments May I nominate Varney the Vampire

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I second The Age Of Innocence

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Wow, some nice nominations already! With Halloween in the middle of our reading timeframe, I am leaning towards Varney the Vampire but it is pretty long! No second from me yet...

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone I nominate The Giver

message 9: by Sharla (new)

Sharla I will also second The Age of Innocence. I have always planned to read it but never did.

message 10: by Pam (new)

message 11: by Leslie (last edited Aug 19, 2015 07:22PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments So we have:

The Age of Innocence (seconds: 3)
Zuleika Dobson (seconds: 0)
Varney the Vampire (seconds: 0)
The Adventures of Augie March (seconds: 0)
Growth of the Soil (seconds: 0)

and I am going to suggest that The Giver be nominated for the group fiction read rather than the group classic. The topic of what constitutes a classic came up during our last nominations round and I copy my response here:

This is something we discussed when the group was new (see HERE if you want to read that discussion) and we decided we didn't want to set firm rules if possible as everybody has different ideas of what makes a classic. However, there was a consensus that more modern work would be considered for group fiction and older works would be considered for group classics.

message 12: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureencean) So is Varney the Vampire related to the Penny Dreadful show on TV?

message 13: by Siewjye (new)

message 14: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Maureen wrote: "So is Varney the Vampire related to the Penny Dreadful show on TV?"

Yes it is. According to wikipedia, Varney was originally a penny dredful story. There is also some debate as to who the original author is.

message 15: by Leslie (last edited Aug 19, 2015 07:29PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Maureen wrote: "So is Varney the Vampire related to the Penny Dreadful show on TV?"

There is a Penny Dreadful TV show?!? I saw that the book was a "penny dreadful", a book which was sold in serial form during Victorian days for a penny per chapter. This was a common way to publish in those times -- I guess it was the equivalent of modern TV with its weekly installments.

Siewjye, I have added your second to message #11.

message 16: by Siewjye (new)

Siewjye Chow (ssjye) | 46 comments Leslie wrote: "Maureen wrote: "So is Varney the Vampire related to the Penny Dreadful show on TV?"

There is a Penny Dreadful TV show?!? I saw that the book was a "penny dreadful", a book which was sold in seria..."

Noted and thanks!!

message 18: by Carinne (new)

Carinne Gee I nominate Daddy Long Legs

message 19: by DenizEFL (new)

DenizEFL | 3 comments I second Daddy-Long-Legs

message 20: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I would like to nominate Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne, if it hasn't already been read as a group read previously.

message 21: by Noorilhuda (new)

Noorilhuda | 185 comments Hi Heather, I second The Age of Innocence

message 23: by Aasia (new)

Aasia Abdali | 1 comments i nominate War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

message 24: by Mary Glass (new)

Mary Glass | 54 comments I nominate Washington Square by Henry James and second Zuleika Dobson

message 25: by Leslie (last edited Aug 20, 2015 01:02PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Updated list of nominations and seconds:

The Age of Innocence (seconds: 5)
Zuleika Dobson (seconds: 1)
Varney the Vampire (seconds: 0)
Something Wicked This Way Comes (seconds: 3)
Daddy-Long-Legs (seconds: 1)
Around the World in Eighty Days (seconds: 1)
War and Peace (seconds: 0)

Mary -- you can either nominate Washington Square or second Zuleika Dobson, but not both. Which would you rather do?

message 26: by Mary Glass (new)

Mary Glass | 54 comments sorry to be a goof. I will second Zuleika Dobson.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Just a heads up for future nominations of group classics: As the group has grown, our previous policy of being a bit vague about what constitutes a classic is becoming more problematic. Obviously great books are written in all times including contemporary ones but we would like to keep some of them for the group fiction reads! Even a definition of contemporary or modern could be controversial; we mods are currently discussing a more clear-cut definition to be used to separate the group fiction from the group classic. I'll post here when we reach a consensus.

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Mary Glass wrote: "sorry to be a goof. I will second Zuleika Dobson."

Not a goof! I will edit message #25 to show your second.

message 29: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I'll second Around the World in 80 Days.

message 30: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Another second (a third?) for Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

(Just in case anyone noticed, I'd deleted this earlier, for simplicity, as I had thought it exceeded the maximum, forgetting your new system.)

message 31: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I also ant to read Something Wicked This Way Comes, wherever we are in the numbers.

message 32: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Gill, Jean & Diane -- I have added your seconds to message #25. I will stick to using "second" as thirding, fourthing, etc. is too complicated (and sounds funny to me) *grin*

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Great Bette! I have added your second.

message 35: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I'd like to second Something Wicked this way comes please. I've always wanted to read this, I think it's the title I like!

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I will second Zuleika Dobson.

message 37: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Fine, Leslie :) And I agree, Shirley - it's a fantastic title isn't it?!

message 38: by Leslie (last edited Aug 22, 2015 07:58PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Now we are at:

Zuleika Dobson (seconds: 2)
Varney the Vampire (seconds: 1)
Something Wicked This Way Comes (seconds: 6)

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I pick Something Wivked this Way Comes.

message 40: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Michelle wrote: "I pick Something Wivked this Way Comes."

Added your second to post #38.

message 41: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13416 comments Mod
I second Varney the vampire!

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Updated post #38. Keep them coming folks!

message 44: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzanne03) | 32 comments I'll second Zuleika Dobson.

message 45: by Maria (new)

Maria Danci | 2 comments I second Something Wicked This Way Comes.

message 46: by Leslie (last edited Aug 24, 2015 04:04PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Current state of the nominations & seconds:

Something Wicked This Way Comes (seconds: 7)
Zuleika Dobson (seconds: 4)

There are still a few more days for people to nominate or second.

message 47: by katie (new)

katie | 74 comments I second Zuleika Dobson

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments katie wrote: "I second Zuleika Dobson"

I have added your second to post 46 :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

The nominations are closed. The winning books will be listed on the poll which will be open until the 31st August.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (seconds: 7)
Zuleika Dobson (seconds: 4)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.