All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Posts > Group Fiction Nominations: October 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 23, 2015 12:56PM) (new)

As hard as it is to believe, it's time to nominate for our October group fiction read!

This thread is for nominations for our group fiction read in October 2015.

Nominations will be run for 5 days and will close on August 25th.

During this time anybody can either nominate or second a book. The 6 books with the most second votes at the end of the 5 day nomination period will go into the poll. Each person can either nominate one book or second one book. There are no limits to the number of seconds a book can receive.

The poll will then run until the 31st August and the winner will be announced the following day. This will leave a month for people to get hold of the book in preparation for the read.

Please only nominate, second or vote for a book you will read with the group if it should win. Please also check that your chosen nomination hasn't been a group read in the past. You can do this by looking at the group bookshelf, contact one of the moderators or post on 'Ask the Moderators' thread

If you have any questions on the nominations process please contact me, use the 'Ask the Moderators' thread or post on here and we will be happy to help

Remember, we will be reading Never Let Me Go in September

Nominated books
1. The Paying Guests 4 seconds
2. Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West 4 seconds
3. Spirit House
4. A Tale for the Time Being 3 seconds
5. Watership Down 6 seconds
6. Coraline
7. The Shadow of the Wind 5 seconds
8. City of Tranquil Light
9. Duma Key 2 seconds
10.A Dirty Job
11.The Valley of Amazement 1 second
12. Letters to the Lost

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll start things off by nominating The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Since October is the month of Halloween, I will nominate Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone I would like to nominate Spirit House

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I would like to nominate Watership Down

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments I will second "The Paying Guests".

message 8: by Siewjye (new)

Siewjye Chow (ssjye) | 46 comments I second Watership Down

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse | 18 comments I would like to nominate Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

message 11: by Nea (new)

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 683 comments I'll second Watership Down.

message 13: by Carinne (new)

Carinne Gee I nominate City of Tranquil LIght by Bo Caldwell

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Carinne. Thanks for your nominations but you can only pick one. Can you let me know which that is?

message 15: by Carinne (new)

Carinne Gee Heather wrote: "Hi Carinne. Thanks for your nominations but you can only pick one. Can you let me know which that is?"
Just realized that. I deleted two.

message 16: by DenizEFL (new)

message 17: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I would like to nominate A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. It fits the Halloween theme, since October is Halloween's month, plus it will be a nice, fun read.

message 18: by Charbel (new)

Charbel (charliecosmos) | 2654 comments Nothing says Halloween like Stephen King so I nominate Duma Key.

message 19: by Free (new)

Free (freemaned) | 82 comments I second wicked

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane Begermi (janebegermi) | 8 comments (the paying guests was a BIG disappointment...just saying)

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 13 comments I second Duma Key.

message 22: by Mary Glass (new)

Mary Glass | 54 comments Dracula by Bram Stoker says Halloween to me. I will second Paying Guests

message 23: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I'll second A Tale for the Time Being. I've already read it, but would happily read it again.

message 24: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 537 comments Heather wrote: "I'll start things off by nominating The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"

I've recently read this and can honestly say its the best book I've read this year so far - and also her best book.

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 304 comments I second Wicked.

message 26: by Dave (new)

Dave Petersen | 4 comments I second Watership Down.

message 27: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I'd also like to second The Paying Guests.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth | 508 comments I'd like to nominate The Valley of Amazement

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary Bronson | 12 comments I second the book Wicked

message 30: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I'm adding to the secondings for Watership Down by Richard Adams

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone I loved Sarah Waters' first novel. None since has worked for me.

message 33: by Jon (new)

Jon Abbott I second The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan. She writes intelligent "women's fiction" that should better be called "people's fiction" which guys may read with pleasure. I haven't read this one so I'd enjoy it.

message 34: by Dilek (last edited Aug 20, 2015 03:18PM) (new)

Dilek | 63 comments I'll second The Shadow of the Wind, too.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I pick Duma Key

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I will update the nominations and seconds lists tomorrow as I've been on call at work today and haven't had a chance. Keep nominating!

message 37: by Susie (new)

Susie | 179 comments I'll second Wicked

message 38: by Janice (new)

Janice Sitts | 237 comments I LOVED The Shadow of the Wind - I second it again!!!!

message 39: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 589 comments I'll second Watership Down. It's one of my childhood favorites that I've wanted to reread this year. And I just bought a new illustrated edition of it.

message 40: by Darnia (new)

Darnia | 43 comments So many books I want to read in this nomination list, but I'll second The Shadow of the Wind

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

So far we have seven books with more than one second (please see first post in the thread) so the current 6 to go through will be:

The Paying Guests 4 seconds
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West 4 seconds
A Tale for the Time Being 2 seconds
Watership Down 5 seconds
The Shadow of the Wind 5 seconds
Duma Key 2 seconds

This can certainly all change!

message 42: by Janice (new)

Janice Sitts | 237 comments Wow...two very different books in 1st place selection --- I'm very happy with either any of these listed.

message 43: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone Am sorry no-one seems interested in Spirit House - it was one of my surprise delights this year. I just wish the author had written more!

message 44: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Deborah wrote: "Am sorry no-one seems interested in Spirit House - it was one of my surprise delights this year. I just wish the author had written more!"

Deborah, it is a shame that the book description is so messed up!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Deborah, there is still plenty of time and I have to say it looks very interesting. If it doesn't get through this time you can nominate it another month! That often happens in this group

message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone Here is a review from the Telegraph:

Bondi beach, the Burma railway, Jewish humour, a boy from a broken home… Put the ingredients in a mixer, give them a good shake and you have a literary cocktail of rare originality. It is not hard to see why Mark Dapin’s stylish novel, set in Nineties Sydney, was such a critical success in Australia. The writing has real freshness and, apart from the odd hiccup, the story glides effortlessly from an intriguing start to a heart-warming resolution.
David, who narrates, is a bright 13 year-old from Sydney whose parents have just split up. While his father gets his jollies with the “Woman in White”, and his mother experiences teething problems with the “Dark Man”, David is parked on his Jewish grandmother and her eccentric husband Jimmy, a war veteran haunted by his experiences in south-east Asia during the Second World War. It is an education in life that makes the classroom seem very dull.
Jimmy and his grizzled Jewish cronies – Solomon the tailor, Myer the optician and Ernie the former war artist – are worth the cover price of the book in their own right, wisecracking their way non-stop through the day, as if to avoid dwelling on the horrors of the past. “Ernie is an aesthete,” Solomon explains to David. “That means he doesn’t believe in God.” “You’re thinking of an anaesthetist,” says Myer. Without emotional ballast, the friends’ badinage would quickly pall; but there is ballast aplenty in the harrowing stories of the war, which David coaxes out of his initially reluctant grandfather.
The descriptions of life in Japanese captivity are beautifully done. Accounts of brutal beatings pull no punches, but there is also room for tenderness and humour. One of the strongest strands features Townsville Jack, a cussed so-and-so who is damned if he is going to let the war stop him organising frog-racing and other entertainments. He is a figure built on such a heroic scale that his downfall, when it comes, has tragic resonance.
The spirit house of the title is an altar that Jimmy erects in his Bondi bungalow, with help from David, as his way of laying to rest the ghosts of the past. It does just that, bringing acceptance after years of troubled nights. As he does throughout the book, Dapin impresses with the understated authority of his storytelling.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Deborah. If anybody wants to second this book then we have until the 25th to nominate or second

message 48: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 22, 2015 02:25AM) (new)

Chrissie Deborah, now that is a clear book description. Thanks.

Maybe some librarian could put that there instead of the other book description? Just an idea.

message 49: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 80 comments Chrissie wrote: "Deborah, now that is a clear book description. Thanks.

Maybe some librarian could put that there instead of the other book description? Just an idea."

I switched the description on Spirit House and I'll second it. I've read all of the nominated books except Duma Key and it looks like a good one!

message 50: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis Spirit House may not be readily available for many readers. My library does not have it, and Amazon sells the Kindle version for $9.99 (US), but no paperback.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.