THE Group for Authors! discussion

Guardian of the Gauntlet
This topic is about Guardian of the Gauntlet
Writer's Circle > Disclaimer

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments I don't usually worry about bad reviews. What did upset me though was a disclaimer included with my review. It said: "This book may be unsuitable for people under 17 years of age due to its use of sexual content, drug and alcohol use, and/or violence." My book is a Christian children's book. The only reason I can see for the disclaimer is a scene where Mila is chained up in a tower. Now that's no worse than Nancy Drew being tied up and locked in a closet, so what is the problem?

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Hayton (ccmhayton) Reviews are completely subjective. I would not be too concerned. This is only one opinion. Although contenious it is only expressing possible reservations. Ignore it - your book will speak for itself.

message 3: by Christie (new)

Christie Maurer | 32 comments Since your book is designed for Christian children, I can see why that review would concern you, but it says more about the reviewer than your book. Are there other reviews that address your content appropriately? If it's only one that mentions the issue and you are sure your book is OK, then ignore it. There's bound to be one in the bunch who doesn't get it.

message 4: by T.H. (new)

T.H. Hernandez (thhernandez) | 113 comments If it bothers you, you could put a disclaimer in your description that your book contains no sexual content, drug or alcohol use. But otherwise, ignore it. There's not much else you can do.

message 5: by Lenita (last edited Aug 19, 2015 05:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments Thanks for all your input, Christine, Christie, and T.H.. I think I'll just ignore it, for the most part, though I did ask my cousin, who's read the book, to leave a comment on the site.

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Heidtman (kylaurel) | 434 comments If you're talking about a review on Amazon, your cousin could reply to that review (better than you doing it) and say that she saw no such material. And it might be good to put your own disclaimer on there as well.

I advocate ignoring bad reviews, but this is a bit different. Just as a responsible parent wouldn't take her child to a movie rated R, she isn't likely to buy a book that someone claims contains R-rated material.

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments Thank you, Laurel. Fortunately, the disclaimer isn't on Amazon. In fact, there is one review on Amazon (five star) that says the book is nice and clean, with no swear words.

message 8: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 132 comments There are some people who are hyper sensitive to anything the may be interpreted as sexual. Being chained in a tower brings up images of BDSM (in some people), hence sex and violence against women, hence rape.

message 9: by Jim (last edited Aug 20, 2015 12:41PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Individuals with ultra-conservative views and philosophies will be offended by any book, movie, social activity or individual preference that does not totally agree with their personal perspective. The best, and perhaps only, way to avoid being bothered by or concerned with their comments is to simply ignore them. Remember, ultra-conservatives and ultra-liberals do not represent the mainstream within society. Extremism in any form is generally rejected by most. The vast majority of people are either slightly left or right of center - socially, politically and philosophically.

As Christine pointed out in message 2, consumer ratings and reviews are nothing more than a personal opinion and, therefore, subjective. I personally seldom read a review and never base my reading preference upon one.

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments V.W. wrote: "There are some people who are hyper sensitive to anything the may be interpreted as sexual. Being chained in a tower brings up images of BDSM (in some people), hence sex and violence against women,..."
I still don't see how that's any worse than Nancy Drew being tied up and locked in a closet.

message 11: by Lenita (last edited Aug 20, 2015 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments She took it off. She said it was a mistake, thanks to my cousin pointing it out to her.

message 12: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 20, 2015 06:33PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Lenita wrote: "She took it off. She said it was a mistake, thanks to my cousin pointing it out to her."

If you get another review like that one mentioning stuff clearly not about your book, you can flag it as being review of a different book. Avoids any confrontation with reader and just causes staff to doublecheck with them that they didn't accidentally put a review on the wrong book. Odd things happen.

And so long as review discloses something along the lines of "related to author," your cousin can review your book on goodreads. (Amazon and other sites have own policies; all consumer review sites subject to U.S. law need that disclosure.). And coz can also shelve ("tag") book accordingly as "Christian" "childrens" ...

ETA: as soon as two members shelve book as "Christian" and/or "childrens" that's how it gets put in genre(s); you already have so if cousin or some other reader would shelve that way it could be helpful.

message 13: by Lenita (last edited Aug 20, 2015 07:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments I'll tell her that. She might not know. This particular review did not happen on Goodreads; it was on another site; for their sake I won't mention the name.

I just remembered something--my cousin told me that, because she was my website designer, it would be a conflict of interest for her to review my book.

message 14: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 20, 2015 07:11PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Lenita wrote: "I'll tell her that. She might not know. This particular review did not happen on Goodreads; it was on another site; for their sake I won't mention the name ..."

Oops ... other sites may have different policies on flagging/reporting reviews. On goodreads, one of the options for flagging a review is "Incorrect Book. The review is of another book entirely."

On goodreads, if a member, she wouldn't have to review or rate your book in order to shelve/tag it. If paid to design your website, that is a material connection but one I believe that goodreads accepts provided disclosed just like relationship needs disclosing -- but, I completely understand her reluctance and know that many book sites with consumer reviews do have policies against.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 211 comments Lenita, it is astounding to me that anyone could so misinterpret something like that. But, unfortunately, it seems to happen all too often. I wish I had something to add to the advice given, but it looks like a lot of people with much more knowledge of these things than I have covered all the bases.
I'm glad the person retracted their comments. Good luck with it.