2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Island of the Blue Dolphins
This topic is about Island of the Blue Dolphins
. Week 35: Childhood Book > Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (new) - added it

Shelly I'm reading this childhood favorite with my grand daughter.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I loved the part where the girl had to make her own shelter. I can't say this book is one of my favorites, but there are definitely some really good parts in it.

message 3: by Shelly (new) - added it

Shelly As a girlI, used to play in the foothills around my house from dawn to dark all summer. I would imagine that I had to survive on my own. I think that's why I connected so powerfully with this book when I first read it. At that time, strong, independent female characters were few and far between.

Biana According to the generally accepted information...this story is the fictional tale based on the Chumash Indians of Southern California. The Natural History Museum in Santa Barbara has artifacts and a little more history. As this is my tribe, it was a story that I grew up on. Of course, the book is such a lame version of the truth...but I still enjoyed it. Rarely is something written about ME, you know?

The tragic follow up is that once Karana was rescued, she quickly died. I guess the island, in all it's loneliness, was good for her.

message 5: by Shelly (new) - added it

Shelly Biana, that is so cool that you have a book (even if you think it's lame) written about you. I was sad to hear that Karan died so soon after her, so called, rescue. Unfortunately, contact with Spaniards brought disease and death to most of your tribe.