Genres > Apocalyptic

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by I Smell Books (new)

I Smell Books - Join Our Newsletter (i_smell_books) | 110 comments Mod
Post here for Apocalyptic genre

message 2: by I Smell Books (new)

I would like to connect with people that love Apocalyptic and Post Apocalytic genres.

message 3: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) I do love the genre although I can only take it in small doses. What I mean by that is I can read a book or two in the genre but then I'll need a break and read something different.

message 4: by I Smell Books (new)

Yes I agree but I tend to shift between a handful...and a half;) of genres. My favorite is Apocalyptic and post. What other genres do you shift to?

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) I like a lot of genres. Discovering something unique is often half the fun. My favorite genres aside from apocalypse and post apocalypse would be Science fiction, urban/dark fantasy, horror. Often, apocalypse and horror are closely related though.

message 6: by I Smell Books (new)

There's a book called The Queen of the Tearling that's a mix of post apocalyptic/fantasy. They say it's also a teensy bit of scifi but I haven't read that yet in first 2 books. It may be pricey though but worth the read.

message 7: by I Smell Books (new)

It's free on kindle if you have Amazon Prime.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) Nope, don't have it. :( My iPad and Kindle are so full of books already. I didn't see any reasons to pay $10 a month for AP. I still buy the books I absolutely need to have even though I don't read them right away. :P

Sounds like a good mix. The MC is a teenager. Would you also consider it YA? (While I read some YA, and liked many of the books I read, I'm not a huge fan of the genre. It's because usually of a lot of the story happens around school. Since it's a bit of a fantasy/apocalyptic mix, I'm guessing school isn't a primary thing then?

message 9: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) Ops.. the 17 year old was the other book you recommended. I must go back and check this one. /blush

message 10: by I Smell Books (last edited Aug 19, 2015 04:53PM) (new)

Both characters are in their teens. Across the Universe has MC at 17 years. I believe The Queen of the Tearling the MC is 19 years. Neither are are in high school per say. The Queen of the Tearling has the F-Bomb in it a few times. I didn't pick it up in the YA section. I searched both on Amazon and the only one that comes up teen is Across the Universe. The Queen of the Tearling is a coming of age. So, there's a bit of a transition.

message 11: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) Thanks for the info. :)

message 12: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) With the Beta reading I'm doing at the moment I don't have much time for other things. I also have a few books waiting for me already, but I'll have a better look at both of them when I have a chance. Thanks. :)

I'm afraid I don't have any recs for you at the moment since you are more of a trad pub fan and I'm like you...way behind when it comes to finding books (aside from Indie that is).

If you like zombie style apocalypse, and don't mind eBooks too much (and Indies, of course) I'd recommend the Slow Burn Series by Bobby Adair. The first three are free as a bundle on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M...

message 13: by I Smell Books (new)

I prefer old school books. I have double vision and ebooks/kindles wreak havoc on my eyes. Plus, there is nothing like a book in your hands:) Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look on Amazon for it to see if I can get it in paperback. I also noticed you're an author! I put your book on my to read list. I can't wait!!! :)

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire | 7 comments Yay apocalyptic books.
I really like explorations of how characters and societies adapt to the extreme circumstances that come with postapocalyptic stuff

message 15: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) Ah, Thank you Teri. This is sweet of you. For me it's the opposite. I need lots of light and glasses to read paperback while I can make the fonts big and the backlight strong enough to read anywhere on an iPad.

Claire, I agree. This is one thing I always wonder in case of an apocalypse. How would society react in general. I'm afraid there'd be a lot of free for all and chaos would reign before any sense of order could be established. It's fun to see how different authors imagine how it would be.