Add as a Friend discussion

Begin here

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by I Smell Books (last edited Aug 19, 2015 03:21PM) (new)

I Smell Books - Join Our Newsletter (i_smell_books) | 110 comments Mod
I'm new to the Group Moderator thing. I honestly don't know how to run a group. (sheepish grin inserted here.) I believe this will be a great resource for new goodreads members looking for books. I spend most of my time scrolling through my feed to get ideas from my friends and goodreads suggestions. Listopia and Explore are great but sometimes it's nice to see what everyone else is reading in your daily feed because you know the person is actively on goodreads when their activity is in front of you. You can create dialogue and make a conscious choice of what to read next.

I'm not sure if I've created the discussion folders and threads correctly. I'm open for feedback and suggestions. Please write here what you'd like to see or altered in this group. At this point, it's a trial and error situation.

Please share my group with your friends.

Thank you!!

Teri

message 2: by Yairy (new)

Yairy (Aisakura) | 2 comments If you need any advice on group modding, feel free to ask me. I don't have any here, but have tons of experienc with group modding, so i'll be happy to extend that to you.

message 3: by I Smell Books (new)

Thank you Yairy!! Can you give me pointers on how it looks thus far? I imagine it'll be a work in progress in the beginning. Am I missing any key discussions or threads that can help with navigation and experience?

message 4: by Lygia (new)

Lygia (ohnoitslygia) | 1 comments hello. i like mostly any genre of books. from twilight to the hunger games to harry potter :D

message 5: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Macias (eliseus) | 4 comments Hi! this is the first group I join in Goodreads, I love almost every genre, my favorites are Adult, historical fiction, non-fiction and biography, but still pick up any kind as long as it is somehow interesting, since I am usually surrounded by not-readers I´m looking to make some goodreas friends so we can share comments, updates and basically all the refreshing different points of view about books and bookish related stuff.

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) Hi, I've joined this group because I've received an invitation from Teri. I've joined one too many groups already and sometimes I have problems keeping up with all of them but I thought this could be fun, so here I am. :)

My tastes are eclectic. I read a little of everything, although my favorite genres are Science-Fiction and Urban Fantasy (dark or contemporary). As for the POVs, I don't mind, however I am a sucker for first person POV especially when it's from a male character. It makes those books harder to resist. :P

message 7: by Laura (last edited Aug 21, 2015 11:37AM) (new)

Laura | 6 comments Hi, I love to read and adore books. What I read changes with my mood, at the moment I mainly read Young Adult. I enjoy Romance, Fantasy, post-apocalyptic, dystopian fiction. Harry Potter is my world! In my everyday life I know NO-ONE who reads and I need book friends.

message 8: by I Smell Books (new)

Hi Laura! I added you!:)

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments Hi Teri! Accepted. Thanks for adding me.

message 10: by I Smell Books (new)

No prob!! When I get a chance I can't wait to look at your bookshelves!! I see we like some of the same genres. :)

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments Had a quick look through your shelves, looks like we gave several books the same rating too. Anyone who gives Harry Potter and Hunger Games 5 stars is a friend of mine lol.

message 12: by Echo (new)

Echo Armstrong (goodreadscomEcho_Armstrong) | 4 comments Hello, my name is Echo Armstrong. I am new to Goodreads and have not a clue as to what I am doing. I am so glad to have found this group. I primarily read and write non-fiction works, but love good writing of any genre. I'm looking forward to making new friends and spending time with you all.

message 13: by I Smell Books (new)

Hi Echo!! Welcome. I'm new also. That's why I created this group. :)

message 14: by Echo (new)

Echo Armstrong (goodreadscomEcho_Armstrong) | 4 comments I am reading the comments and several participants have mentioned not having people around them who read. I share in the same pain. I know we may not all read the same things, and that's a good think, but reading is fundamental(smile).

I am so glad to be surrounded by so many newbies such as myself. I will be checking out what you wonderful ladies are reading. *grinning wildly*

message 15: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 1 comments Very excited to join a group with others who have the same passionate love of books as I do. I unfortunately share the same frustration of having no one to share my thoughts with, when I am just exploding to talk with someone about a wonderful book!

I love to read scifi (pretty much any type,including hard scifi, space opera...the works), apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic, dystopian, thrillers, historical romance and some young adult. Most recently I have been able to read zombie related works. I could never read them without getting nightmares but for some reason am perfectly fine now. Expanding my library, oh yeah!
I will give anything a read though!

Glad to be a part of the group and am looking forward to some great discussions.

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy (christyrb) Thanks for the invite :) Always looking for ideas/suggestions from other people, especially those who review or rate books so feel free to add me as a friend. My favourite genres are mystery/crime/thriller, then sci-fi/fantasy, apocalyptic/survival/horror but I also read general novels (womens lit?) and even some romance and YA. Pretty broad, I'll try anything.

message 17: by Foolcrow (new)

Foolcrow | 1 comments Hi teri. I joined the group for your topic on post apo sf book. I read some good book like the parable of the sower from Octavia butler. Don't know if you read it?

message 18: by I Smell Books (new)

Hi Foolcrow~

No I haven't read it. I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!! Welcome!!

message 19: by Gaines (last edited Aug 29, 2015 04:45PM) (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) Hullos :-)

My name is Gaines, and I mainly read sci-fi and fantasy, although I do occasionally take brief field trips into other genres.

I also write, and when time permits I post flash fiction pieces (again, mostly fantasy and sci-fi) on this site here: www.gainespost.com . They are free to read, and comments are welcome! Some pieces are polished, some not at all; some are absolute crap, lol. For me the site is a way to play around with ideas and get the juices flowing. Some even turn into longer stories, eventually.

Anyways, I look forward to meeting you all and making lots of new book buddies :-)

-- Gaines

message 20: by I Smell Books (new)

Welcome Gaines!!

message 21: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) Thank you :-)

message 22: by Paigegirl (new)

Paigegirl | 11 comments I'm new to goodread. A friend mentioned it to me and I thought to check it out. The site is a little confusing but I am having fun exploring.

message 23: by I Smell Books (new)

Hello Paigegirl!! Welcome!! I love goodreads. I've been on a couple of months and it's extremely helpful. I hope you love it like I do!!

message 24: by Paigegirl (new)

Paigegirl | 11 comments Thanks Teri, I hope I love it too, but right now it all seems so confusing! I'm trying to learn how the site works so I can make friends and also promote my books.

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Hi! Great idea for a group! I am looking for friends who share an interest in historical, fantasy or paranormal romance. I am someone who prefers steamy with good story (not prudish LOL). My only pet-peeve is books written in the 1st person. I do not care for those. I am hoping that I can meet some friends with similar interests to share, recommend and discuss great and bad reads. Thankyou for allowing me to join.

Dawn

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth Olsen | 2 comments Hi my name is Beth. I love to read mysteries, self-help book, anything about the afterlife and love stories.

message 27: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) Hi Beth :-) Very nice to meet you.

message 28: by Dawn (last edited Oct 14, 2015 07:05AM) (new)

Dawn Hi My name is Dawn Viczai. I am looking for friends who like Historical romance to share book recommendations with. I am a fan of Le Veque, Tizdale, and many others. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I also like paranormal romance and fantasy romance.

message 29: by Alana (new)

Alana hi my name is alana. I have a wide range of taste it books, all genres. A good story is a good story. I work as a page at my local library, been there for a month now and i've seen so many books i want to read! i'm a slow reader so its gonna take me a while to read them all.

message 30: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) Welcome Dawn and hi Alana :-)

message 31: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Jaime | 1 comments Hello my name is Ricardo. I would love to share in my passion for a good book with someone. My favorite genres are Science nonfiction and religious studies non fiction. Currently reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan a must for all science lovers. Most people start with this book but I'm a little late to the game.

message 32: by I Smell Books (new)

Welcome Ricardo!!

message 33: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) Hi Ricardo :-) I really enjoyed Cosmos.

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Melvyn, I love reading books, nice group we have here, it's a pleasure being here, thanks for the add!