Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > October Anthology Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

You may use this topic to suggest a Fantasy or Science Fiction Short Story, Novelette, Novella, Collection or Anthology of shorter works for our group's October, 2015, discussion (beginning October 11.)

It's very helpful if you can indicate where an individual story is still in print, either individually or in some anthology or on a website.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: The short SF/F work may be a short story, novelette, novella, or an anthology or collection of such stories; that discussion starts the 11th of each month. The others are one "Classic" and one "Contemporary" SF/F novel; those discussion starts on the 1st & 21st of each month, respectively. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for October. Octavia Butler's Bloodchild and Other Stories has already been chosen as our September anthology discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Tuesday, August 25, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Hillary (last edited Aug 19, 2015 02:16PM) (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments I just read that Yoon Ha Lee signed a book deal (http://www.tor.com/2015/08/17/yoon-ha...), so I'll once again nominate his short story collection, Conservation of Shadows, which I still haven't gotten around to reading.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame ed. by Robert Silverberg vol. 1....still in print...The SFWA got together and voted on the greatest SF stories of all time (that would have been before 1965 when the vote was taken if I rember right)...the short stories that won are in this, vol. 1...vol. 2a and 2b (ed. by Ben Bova) contain the longer length winners...these stories are truly the best of the best...

message 5: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 677 comments Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: last day for short story/novella/anthology nominations for October discussion.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2015 06:12AM) (new)

Announcement chyron
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our SF/F Collection or Anthology discussion topic for October (starting October 11) is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that this is our discussion selection for October. Octavia Butler's Bloodchild and Other Stories has already been chosen as our September anthology discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Monday, August 31.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

what I do ta make ya mad G33??? my suggestion ain't up for vote??? Have the Time-Travleing Happy Cats been bared from voteing?????

IT'S KITTYGATE!!!!!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Spooky1947 wrote: "what I do ta make ya mad G33??? my suggestion ain't up for vote??? Have the Time-Travleing Happy Cats been bared from voteing?????

IT'S KITTYGATE!!!!!!"

Sorry, I messed up the formatting of one of the entries. It's been corrected and the people responsible have been fed to the dragons.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL

:D

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, today (Monday) is the final day for voting for your preference for which nominated SF/F Short Story Anthology will be our discussion topic In October.

There aren't many of us who follow short stories, and so far it looks like everyone has nominated their favorite title and voted for it (except Spooky, ever the nonconventionalist, who will probably fight the results in court :)

Don't make me break the tie. You wouldn't like me when I'm breaking things.

message 12: by Andreas (last edited Aug 31, 2015 05:22AM) (new)

Andreas | 677 comments Problem is, that your vote-link leads to an old vote (the July anthology vote). Maybe that is also Spooky's cryptic comment.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Andreas wrote: "Problem is, that your vote-link leads to an old vote (the July anthology vote). Maybe that is also Spooky's cryptic comment."

Aaaah. Nobody tells me nothin'. More minions to be fed to the dragons.

Vote here if you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of these anthologies.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2161 comments I'll nominate Federations edited by John Joseph Adams. It has quite a few excellent SF authors in it including McCaffery, Card, & Modesitt.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2015 08:01AM) (new)

Jim wrote: "I'll nominate Federations edited by John Joseph Adams..."

Uhh, Jim, we've moved past the nomination phase to the final day of voting phase. So, could you pocket that for next month, please?

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2161 comments Oh. Try to remind me it's there. I can never come up with one when I should.
;)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron
Our SF&F Short Story Collection Discussion topic will be...

Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr. Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr.

This week marked Alice Bradley Sheldon's (aka Tiptree's) 100th birthday, so it seemed appropriate to read some of her stories.

The discussion will begin October 11. See you then.

message 18: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments Looking forward to it; I've never read anything by Tiptree.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

i didn't get to vote...I'm still claiming Kittygate

:D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.