Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Horror featuring ordinary people turned to homicidal maniacs en masse

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ekel (new)

Ekel Adolf | 2669 comments I'm interested in horror literature which features ordinary people as a main threat, ordinary people which are turned into homicidal maniacs by means of a sudden epidemic occurrence. A good example from the movie world would be George A. Romero's The Crazies. I'm not talking about zombie outbreaks here, despite the fact that, for example, 28 Days Later is about normal people being turned into bloodthirsty monsters. However, I find it more interesting if the infected, contaminated or possessed people in question are alive and still able to think, plan, talk and use weapons, since that leaves plenty of room for some creative deaths and murders(see James Herbert's The Fog as a reference).

Some novels and novellas which fit into that category:

The Devil Next Door

Jack's Magic Beans

The Fog

One Rainy Night

Primitive

And I wonder: Is there a specific term that describes this sub-genre?

Thank you very much :).

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments What about Cell by Stephen King.

message 3: by Ekel (new)

Ekel Adolf | 2669 comments Tom wrote: "What about Cell by Stephen King."

Yes, that fits the description. Cell had a real good start, but sadly, I found the novel to grow quite confusing the more the story progressed.

One could mention Fleshby Richard Laymonas well, albeit it lacks the aspect of mass-epidemic and havoc, since the parasite only infects one person a time. I guess the aspects of epidemic and mass infestation are quite crucial for the atmosphere here.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Murphy | 26 comments Hater by David Moody, which I thought was really good, and had this sense of creeping unease through it. Its also the first of a trilogy.
There's also Dark Inside (on cover D4rk Inside) by Jeyn Roberts. This book's apocalypse is similar in ways to Hater, but was different enough. Its also a YA book, which I didn't know until I started but I still was a good book I was surprised by, and had enough of creepy feel in parts.

message 7: by Ekel (new)

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil (chaoseum) | 761 comments Run by Blake Crouch

message 9: by Ekel (new)

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4507 comments Mod
Blood Crazy by Simon Clark
Stranger by Simon Clark