2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Amber Spyglass
This topic is about The Amber Spyglass
. Week 34: Trilogy (3) > The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Let's see how this ends ... after I read Book 2, that is.

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Ok, so that's done. I ... well ... I don't know what I think.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I know differences of opinion exist and are unavoidable, but it still saddens me when someone doesn't enjoy a book I really love.

I guess this series is really more for the anti-Christian, as Pullman meant it to be an anti-Narnia series. But beyond that, what I saw when I read this was a message to question tradition no matter how long it has lasted (view spoiler) because maybe it's long overdue for a change. This, I feel, is relevant at any time because there's always something changing (or should be changing). Like in our present time, the big change happening around the world right now is the view on LGBT rights, gay marriage laws shifting, so on and so forth. I feel like this trilogy is meant to open minds in that direction is all.

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I'm not a Christian, although I'm not an atheist either (I'm on the fence, I suppose). I'm not particularly fond of religious books though (whether pro- or anti-), so that didn't help things at all. I found the books to be a bit clumsy and not particularly engaging, and I didn't connect well with most of the characters. And I really, really didn't like Lyra - I found her to be an irritating brat, and not at all endearing.

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Jimenez (whispering_lilac) | 70 comments I am not particularly enjoying this trilogy, but I started it and have to finish it. (Why, oh why, do I insist on finishing everything that I ever start?) Anyways, the comments above are not particularly reassuring either ;)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I think if I hadn't chosen this for the challenge, I wouldn't have finished it either. I really don't understand why this trilogy appears on so many lists of best YA, fantasy etc.